Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Concept: Editor Plus Metroidvania  (Read 5372 times)
ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« on: January 01, 2013, 07:06:08 PM »

Given its wealth of features, I've always thought that Spelunky Editor Plus could be used to build a fairly large metroidvania platformer. Initially, this seemed unfeasable, as there would be no way to save your game.

However, with the addition of Magic Signs I think this would now be possible. Progress could be tied to item collection, which would allow a sort of rudimentary password system. Recording the score would be somewhat more complicated, but still fairly simple and easy--the player could simply write down their score and enter it in by walking over signs that would add a certain number of points. They would reset when the player got a certain distance away from them.

Obviously, this would be an imperfect and improvised system, and one that could easily be cheated. However, it would still be quite workable. Magic signs would also allow for a variety of new challenges and possibly minigames (look at Moloch's UFO level).

Forgive me if this has already been done; I haven't been on this forum in a very long time.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:51:09 AM by Cyclone » Logged

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »

Welcome back.

There have been metroidvania custom levels, but I don't think any of them took advantage of Magic Signs. Using Magic Signs to record progress is a good idea. It might take some effort to prevent the 'password' from being figured out too easily.

Since metroidvanias typically require you to revisit areas repeatedly, Magic Signs could be used alter the appearance, layout, or enemies of a level based on progress (items collected, score, or other variables), instead of having several separate levels that represent the same area at different times

Somewhat related, Magic Signs also makes quests possible. For example, a kissing booth shopkeep that will reward you with spike shoes if you bring him the 5 damsels scattered around the level. Set a global variable and use items that can be carried between levels, and you can have multi-level spanning fetch quests....Or make an event (ex: mini boss defeated) unblock a passage in a separate level.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:02:34 PM »

Im liking this. Anyone wanna make it?

ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:46:45 PM »

Im liking this. Anyone wanna make it?

I'm considering it, although my schoolwork means I wouldn't be able to finish this in anything like a timely manner.

edit: changed to represent more modern concerns.

Welcome back.

There have been metroidvania custom levels, but I don't think any of them took advantage of Magic Signs. Using Magic Signs to record progress is a good idea. It might take some effort to prevent the 'password' from being figured out too easily.

Since metroidvanias typically require you to revisit areas repeatedly, Magic Signs could be used alter the appearance, layout, or enemies of a level based on progress (items collected, score, or other variables), instead of having several separate levels that represent the same area at different times

Somewhat related, Magic Signs also makes quests possible. For example, a kissing booth shopkeep that will reward you with spike shoes if you bring him the 5 damsels scattered around the level. Set a global variable and use items that can be carried between levels, and you can have multi-level spanning fetch quests....Or make an event (ex: mini boss defeated) unblock a passage in a separate level.

User-created globals are carried between levels?

My idea of the "password" system was simply to tie things to inventory items and have the player pick them up to continue their progress. This would be easily abusable, but also much less annoying (and easier to implement) than a bunch of letters and numbers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:39:51 PM by Cyclone » Logged

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 09:17:31 AM »

Yeah, they are. This isn't always a good thing, since they're not even cleared when you go back to the title screen, which could lead to unexpected behavior. But it does provide another way to communicate between levels.
ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »

Yeah, they are. This isn't always a good thing, since they're not even cleared when you go back to the title screen, which could lead to unexpected behavior. But it does provide another way to communicate between levels.

I guess we'd have to add a disclaimer that said "quit Spelunky when you are done playing".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:03:44 PM by Apollo » Logged

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »

That would be one solution, although you could probably figure out a way to detect when they've just started a new game and reset everything.
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »

I suppose you could just initialize all the custom globals on the first level where the 'password' is entered? Anyway, there's no sense in trying too hard to prevent cheating.. if someone wants to cheat they will by editing the levels or loading them out of sequence.

Xama_
Bean

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:52:42 AM »

If you need help for mapping, I am here.

Han.
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »

If you need help for mapping, I am here.
Electron has tons of level making experience!

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »

I'd call him the best (or at least most reliable) level maker.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: