Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Psi-lunky (alpha 8)  (Read 56886 times)
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »

But what if you don't have enough money?
This adds a huge component to the game and making it a shop item makes it to where you can have a whole run without getting powers
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »

You could start with a default power... But maybe power "enhancement" shops

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 02:26:19 AM »

I noticed you based this on Editor Plus* and I couldn't resist:

The first ever Psi-Lunky level: Burn, Witch, Burn!

I tried to think of how to make a level still be challenging with all those powers, and I decided a time limit would be the only way. So I figured everybody like lava, right? Have fun!  Grin

*Speaking of that, it looks like you based it on the version with the messed up unicode level format.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:59:10 PM by Urza » Logged
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »

What if you did a TLS sorta thing, where the collected items give you powers? Then you could add those special items to shops and get it both/either way(s).

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 08:32:57 AM »

The current plan is to have 'power plates' spawn in two ways:

1. In shops. Plates either are related to the shop type (ie a 'Blast Plate' in Bomb shops') or appear in an 'Artifact Shop'.
2. In 'tombs'. Basically, smaller versions of the Crystal Skull structures. Throw in some Red Skeletons to be scary and things are good.

I've also considered a second altar system to another random god, but I'm not sure how to make it different from the Kali altars.

Oh, and it stands to reason that the City of Gold Vault will contain at minimum the power to open the path to Area 5. And treasure.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »

I noticed you based this on Editor Plus* and I couldn't resist:

The first ever Psi-Lunky level: Burn, Witch, Burn!

I tried to think of how to make a level still be challenging with all those powers, and I decided a time limit would be the only way. So I figured everybody like lava, right? Have fun!  Grin

*Speaking of that, it looks like you based it on the version with the messed up unicode level format.

Nice Cheesy. It looks like this mod will be big.

hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »

Grah coding a menu type thing into Spelunky's pause is stupidly fiddly. The amount of powers probably won't be that high, so I can just cram them all into one selection list. Get a power, it goes on the end.
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 10:12:27 PM »

Grah coding a menu type thing into Spelunky's pause is stupidly fiddly. The amount of powers probably won't be that high, so I can just cram them all into one selection list. Get a power, it goes on the end.

Just tossing this idea out there... If I made another mod that had needed some kind of inventory/power selection menu, I'd forget about messing with the pause menu and steal Secret of Mana's ring menu system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5KCcrnOkjrA#t=102s

Not saying it would be any easier, but if it worked..fuck yea.

TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »

Any suggestions on control scheme setup? My city of gold run involved only the mouse, but now I need all the other sorts of movement

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »

Here's a few ideas, in no particular order.

In Burn, Witch, Burn, I found it very difficult to set up a situation where Block (power 3) was necessary. At half the cost, Push Bock (power 2) is a better much bargain. But on the other hand, if they cost the same, it would be rare that Push Block was preferable.

Casting blocks directly on top of enemies feels kinda cheap. Although if that was forbidden, that would make Push Block even more useful comparatively, since you could skill cast it over their heads.

Fading psi Blocks of either type probably shouldn't make brown crumbs. Either nothing or slightly more magical effect would be better.

As an idea for a weaker power, how about summoning flares? Obviously this would mainly be for dark levels, but you could also use them as throwing weapons or to set off arrow traps.
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »

Blue Blocks are good for reaching exits above horrible peril I guess? They're also invincible, so that's something to consider. Also, once I get the power acquisition system sorted out better, you'll be able to restrict the powers available in custom levels.

Summoning (temporary?) (waterproof?) flares sounds like a good starter power.

Now to go work on that idea Moloch put in my head. Also making Psi blocks go *poof*.
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »

An update has happened. I added two new powers and a way to equip powers. Press P to toggle it. Remember that you can't use powers while arranging them.

Also, art request because I'm terrible or something! If you reach the City of Gold, you'll now find two things: A brand new vault, which isn't final, and recoloured arrow traps, which are ugly. Would it be possible for someone who can do pixel arrangement well to provide golden versions of Arrow Traps, Tiki Traps and Omni-Thwomps? Don't worry about fire versions. Then the City of Gold can be fully gold, like in the XBLA edition. (also I can make them deluxe versions, with more danger.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:01:53 PM by hyperme » Logged
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »

NICE! AWSOME! Thanks for working so hard on this

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »

I took a stab at the golden traps, they're not perfect, but quite passable, I think. I 'shopped them into this screenie so you can see them in action.

I just did a "pallet swap" on the actual spike animation (not shown), and I haven't tested it moving, so hopefully there won't look to strange or anything.

Anyway, you can download them here.

Regarding the update, the break block power is useful, but I wish the icon weren't quite so similar the the other one. And come on, it need some kind of cool effect... at least a sound. So you feel like "Rarrr! I'm crushing walls with me mind!" Tongue

I'm not sure what to make of the new menu. It took me a while to figure out that only the powers with a key assigned could be selected with the mouse wheel during play, and also it came as a surprise the a power selected on the menu didn't stay active when you leave that screen.

It's currently not possible to assign a new key to a power that already has one in a single step. e.g. if Explosion is is 4 and I want to make it 3, I would first have to set 4 to something else. But what if I didn't want 4 to do anything, or I had no unassigned powers?

Oh yeah, also the menu comes up when you pay in a shop, but I assume that's temporary.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:47:34 PM by Urza » Logged
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »

I guess Olmec's crush sound would work for the block breaker power.
I'll probably make it so switching slots works. Shouldn't be too hard (famous last words!).
Also the Gold Traps are pretty good. I changed a few pixels on the Omni-Twomp, but otherwise they rock!

Finally, I managed to pick a button already in use. Curse my rob-happy play-style.

Actually finally, next update will be the 'get powers' update, with an actual way of obtaining powers and thus not starting off fairly strong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: