Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEWS] Spelunky Title Update!  (Read 16565 times)
Derek
Mossmouth
Bean

View Profile Email
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »

Our first title update for Spelunky is up on XBLA! For this update we focused on fixing bugs and making a few safe changes to the gameplay. You can find a list of what we changed below.

We're very happy to be able to release this patch before the year ended. It's been an amazing year for the Spelunky team thanks to all of the people who have played it... especially all the reviewers and players who have shared their stories. Have a wonderful and safe holidays, unless we're talking about in the game!

We'll be back in 2013 with more exciting Spelunky news!

GAMEPLAY CHANGES:

- Significant price changes to shop items (mostly reductions for weaker items).

- Flip-hanging a one-tile wide pit while carrying an item will not cause the item to hit you anymore.

- Critters now have lowest item pick up priority. (You will always pick up items that are in front first.)

- Items now take player velocity into account when determining whether to do damage from velocity.

- Tiki men in dark levels now carry torches instead of boomerangs.

- Caveman villages cannot spawn in dark levels any more.

- Sceptre would kill you if you had it pressed up against a wall.

- Sceptre will not target harmless critters anymore.

- Hired hands were grabbing items for sale.

- Spectacles are now much less useless.

- Plasma Cannon shoots straighter.

- Magma men will now ignite bombs and light torches.

BIG BUGS:

- A small number of players were experiencing a lock at the initial loading screen, but only when connected to LIVE. We were not able to reproduce this, but tried to fix it anyway.

- Letting the timer go too high would cause the game to crash when you exited the level.

- Multiplayer: if a player died while another player was exiting the level, the game would crash.

- Crash when getting eaten by worm and killed by ghost at the same time.

- Crash when crushed in tutorial level.

- Crash when destroying [SECRET]'s hands.

- It was possible (although unlikely) that no graves would get generated in the Cemetary, crashing the game.

- Mattock would reset to 100 uses upon entering a new level.

- Anubis would become invincible if he touched lava.

- "Eternal Life" achievement was sometimes not triggering correctly. We were not able to reproduce this, but tried to fix it anyway.

- "Big Money" achievement would not unlock if winning game pushed you over the mark.

- Monkeys sometimes not appearing in journal. We were not able to reproduce this, but tried to fix it anyway.

- Arcade sticks and pads are now working properly.

MEDIUM BUGS:

- Beating a level quickly would not prevent the next level from being dark.

- Monkeys could toss you onto a ledge, causing you to hang indefinitely.

- Croc men could telefrag you while you're walking into the exit.

- Killing the Black Knight would anger shopkeepers.

- Cobra spit was angering shopkeepers.

- Getting eaten or crushed while wearing a cape or jetpack would cause the item to disappear, but only for that level.

- Journal items were not unlocking right when you stole them.

- The slight pause while loading music at the beginning of a level is now gone.

- Lava kills not counting in journal.

- Game would prompt you to connect to LIVE every time you died if you weren't connected.

- Multiplayer: blowing up a player's coffin would cause hired hands to appear in subsequent coffins.

- Multiplayer: opening enough coffins would cause hired hands to appear in subsequent coffins. We were not able to reproduce this, but tried to fix it anyway.

- Multiplayer: game timer was still running while the Xbox guide was up.

- Multiplayer: Players could keep for sale items as long as another player exited the level.

- Deathmatch Arena Select titles were being unlocked before the arenas themselves.

LIL' BUGS:

- Pitcher's mitt sometimes wouldn't throw straight.

- Shopkeeper waiting at exit would curse you when struck by a tiki trap (annoying).

- Shopkeepers hit by cobra spit could be picked up.

- Items stuck to sticky objects weren't losing their velocity.

- Ghost would occasionally zoom up and quickly kill you a second time after you respawned with the ankh.

- Hired hands that fell onto a spring while stunned would cause the spring to flip out.

- Pushing spinner spider with push block would cause it to float in mid-air.

- Tossing punishment ball onto something sticky would cause weird behavior.

- "Ending Adventure" while walking into exit would cause bags to pour out of you.

- "Talk to Tunnel Man" button prompt was not displaying the correct button after player changes his or her controls.

- "Ending Adventure" will now start you at the tutorial door if you've already beaten it.

- Destroying a lake tile with a tiki trap on top of it wouldn't destroy the tiki trap also.

- Gems were generating on top of other items and in push blocks.

- Diamonds were appearing in Loot Count as small rubies.

- If error message popped up while a level feeling or similar notice was being displayed, the notice bar would remain after dismissing the error pop up.

- Freeze another player and pick them up while frozen: player would remain in same spot until unfrozen and then "teleport" back into your hands.

- Start a multiplayer game before the tutorial is beaten: players would have bright lights around them.

- Held players were immune to explosions.

- Ice Caves background turned black when player fell off the bottom of the screen.

- Loading/saving icons did not respect brightness setting (they were quite rude).

- Multiplayer: Anubis II was appearing when [SECRET] was picked up a second time.

- Go back to Deathmatch Arena Select screen from Character Select screen: map always shows the first map regardless of what you selected.

- Deathmatch: Vine tiles were not previewing correctly on the Arena Select.

- Deathmatch: Colors of preview maps more obviously different.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:52:11 PM by Derek » Logged
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »

Whoa! You really did go all out fixing stuff! Thanks Derek!

Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:43:39 PM »

Awesome! Great to see y'all are still so diligent about it too!

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
XeroShinobi
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »

Very extensive bug fixing. It's nice to see.
Massif
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »

Awesome. I'm going to play some tonight!

Just curious, is it intentional for the boulder trap to make the shopkeeper angry at you?
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »

Awesome. I'm going to play some tonight!

Just curious, is it intentional for the boulder trap to make the shopkeeper angry at you?

It only makes him angry if it hits his shop

lordkramdar
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »

AWESOME.

I was wondering if it'd ever get an update.
poppy
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »

"Mattock would reset to 100 uses upon entering a new level."

I KNEW IT! (That it was doing SOMETHING like that)

But still! Thats...concerning, it might not be possible to top certain scores that we were once able to get!

Last I checked the leaderboard, I still had the #1 high score, I don't think I'm EVER gonna beat it with a less useful mattock now...

On the flipside, getting that number 1 fastest time should be easier now...if I wasn't already kinda tired of the game. X_X;

So when is DLC coming? You can't hide from ME! XD
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:33:41 PM by poppy » Logged
Boris_Magee_44
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:22:44 AM »

"Game would prompt you to connect to LIVE every time you died if you weren't connected."

No one can ever begin to understand how little of a change can mean so much here.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »

It really can. That feature was annoying the !@#$ out of me

Derek
Mossmouth
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »

Grin

By the way, here's an important bug we fixed that I forgot to add to the list:

- Arcade sticks and pads are now working properly.

Someone on Twitter reminded me about it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:43:18 PM by Derek » Logged
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »

Awesome! Tons of people were complaining about that. Any chance XBLA version of Spelunky may ever have modding support

DSale
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »

So glad that there is an update out for this game!

I've played many many hours of Spelunky.  I'm at around 3500 games, and have 21 completions.  I still haven't beaten hell mode yet.  So, with that very short introduction, let me give you my thoughts on the recent update!

Tiki Men carrying torches in dark levels is actually brilliant.  Every time I get a dark jungle level, I cringed, and just try to escape it as fast as possible.  The extra light is very welcome, especially considering the fact that the water can put your torch out.  Sometimes you just aren't really able to get past a pit of water while keeping that torch lit.  It can lead to some very risky gameplay.  This change is awesome.

Magma Men igniting bombs and lighting torches is just a great thematic change that really makes sense.  Along the same lines as a torch burning a spider web.  Just one of those very very niche cases that continues to give Spelunky that charm of continuous discovery, well after you think you've explored everything.

The various velocity with item changes are something I've again, only experienced in some specific spots, but its a welcome change nonetheless.  I haven't tried this yet, but I assume that means if I have the key stuck in a spider web and jump on the web to get it down, its not going to damage me anymore.  That's awesome.

The Mattock change is pretty huge.  Not really surprised it was considered a bug, but it definitely enabled players to get much higher scores than maybe were intended.

Cobra spit no longer angers shopkeepers.  I'm a little surprised that this was considered a bug.  Sometimes the shopkeepers just get angry.  That was always something I thought was slightly unfair, but I just accepted the fact that they were kind of unstable.  Not upset with this change.  There are plenty of other ways to accidentally get shopkeepers mad at you.

Pushing the hanging spider off his web and causing him to float in mid-air happened so infrequently, it was always a guilty pleasure of mine to make it happen.  TAKE THAT SPIDER!

Gems were generating inside push blocks and other items?  Does this mean we will see more random items inside the walls now?  I assume we weren't getting robbed of many items throughout the game, but its always nice to get a bonus now and then.

Alright, so there are my thoughts on the recent update.  I'll respond in another post with some of my thoughts for future updates.  Thanks again for the work you've put into this title so long after release, it really means a lot to us hardcore players!
vardulon
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 12:44:34 AM »

"Mattock would reset to 100 uses upon entering a new level."

I KNEW IT! (That it was doing SOMETHING like that)

That's how you got that score? Damn - now I'm never going to get #1 -it nearly killed me getting 1.75 today!
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:49:23 AM »

I got 50,000 the other day Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: