Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Vehicles V0.1  (Read 10741 times)
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:17 AM »

I agree that last one is a sticky problem. Just to through a couple ideas in, another solution would be to adjust the speed of either the UFO or the laser so you can't catch up with it. Or if you kept the UFO frozen for like a half second after firing, it would at least be hard to be accidentally.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 12:51:19 AM »

Again I am looking forward to new vehicles. Maybe a jeep or something?

Dujj
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 07:46:35 AM »

Yup, a Jeep is next.  I was initillay was thinking a Tank that shoots exploding shells and has a huge recoil, but while this seems really cool, having unlimited bombs is pretty broken.  A Jeep that shoots a short burst if bullets (somewhere between the Pistol and the Shotgun) and has some other abilities will fit better into the game.
Shane
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »

Haha, yeah, I didn't make sprites for the Tunnelman or Damsel yet, I should do that at some point.  I didn't think to test against them since I haven't unlocked them yet (how are you supposed to do that exactly?).
The damsel is unlocked when you save a certain amount of damsels (I don't know how many, exactly, probably 7 or 8?).
The tunnel man is unlocked when you unlock all the doors in the High Scores room, I think, I'm just guessing as I never unlocked him legitimately.

Anyway, good luck with this project, Dujj!
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »

It's 8 Damsels, Shane.

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 11:15:27 PM »

Random suggestion in which I'm not at all offended if you choose to ignore, especially as I haven't played it just yet.

But, what if there was an item you got that gave you a certain number of laser uses that would break blocks, and then the standard laser would only be a weapon? Like, you would get 3-5 laser uses (possibly with the bomb shortcut) that would be able to break the ground but you'd have to recharge them somehow like when you get bomb crates.
Dunno, just throwing suggestions out there. Still excited to try this. Think I will tomorrow :3

edit: now having played it, it feels a little slow. like, i always run in spelunky so i'm used to a faster pace, but i dunno. maybe i'm just odd or something. i can't really enjoy riding it though since the pace. :c
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:28:31 AM by Sparkle » Logged
Dujj
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »

Balancing the UFO so it doesn't completely break the game (and thus get boring) has been one of the major challenges.  I wanted to make something that fit into Spelunky without having too much power or "new rules" creep in.  The free motion of the UFO breaks the player out of typical Spelunky platforming, and the laser chops a huge chunk out of the usefulness of bombs.  How to compensate for this?

Regarding Expendable Lasers:  I have considered having the UFO run on expendable "Gas" that you have to find as a separate pickup, but this adds a whole new layer of complication to understanding the item when you first pick it up.  I'll probably consider it again if/when I finish other vehicles.

The speed of the UFO is one of the limiting factors that keeps it from being too broken (in addition to it exploding if you are ejected, and not being able to carry other Items such as the Damsel).  Here's some other options I have considered:

-Let the UFO move faster, but have it "crash" if you hit a wall going too fast.  This would take a lot of tuning/testing until it felt right, and wasn't the type of experience I wanted for the UFO anyway ("Don't touch the walls!").

-As mentioned above, have the UFO run on "Gas" or even Gold that you have on your person. Gold would be my first instinct to try since it would be making use of existing infrastructure and the player will readily understand it.  It's still a penalty, just like moving slow is a penalty, but I think I'd feel better about the UFO moving faster if there was a use tax (since you'll prob be getting more gold and gems anyway).

-Increase quantity and/or aggro of enemies.  Besides being out of scope for my mod, I wouldn't want it to be one game when you were in the Vehicle and a different game out of it.  I just want the UFO to be a different way of playing Spelunky as it is.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »

You could always use my Spelunky (Now even harder) mod as a base Tongue

eaglehawk519
Seedling

Meow.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 01:06:24 AM »

Nice mod! I found a few things though: Consider slowing it down, if you fire and move down, you will run into the lasers. If you fly it into spikes, it will blow up and kill you. Other than those, nice mod! Grin

Yay! Video Games!
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »

Hello and welcome! These forums have been dead for a while, but there's still some pretty cool content lying around here. I check back daily because I'm compulsive, but...don't expect too much conversation otherwise.  Wink

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: