Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Vehicles V0.1  (Read 11535 times)
Dujj
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »

Ride the UFO, shoot some lasers, don't get ejected by baddies and traps!

Instructions:
-Press Enter to spawn a UFO off to your left, or you could hope one spawns in a shop.
-The UFO can be picked up and dropped (mounted/dismounted) like any other Item
-Press Attack to shoot lasers from the UFO

My goal was to create an Item that fit into the existing balance of Spelunky, so I used the Jetpack as a baseline of something that is Very Good, but not Too Good.  The UFO is better than the Jetpack, but it does have drawbacks and certain risks.  Let me know what you think!

Here are some issues that I already know about:

1. Being ejected from (or dropping) the UFO causes the player to move very fast horizontally in the air. 

This partially has to do with the fact that when the player's state is IN_AIR, friction is very low, but similar reactions are not seen when dismounting a Ladder.  Why is that important?  The UFO puts the player in a specific state (RIDING_UFO) and I had hoped I could imitate the code that already exists for transitioning the player from a CLIMBING state to a JUMPING state when they dismount a ladder, but so far no luck.  Any suggestions are welcome.

2. The code that puts UFOs in shops is incomplete.  If one day I do finish a couple more vehicles (I have some in mind, like a Tank or Jeep), a Vehicle Shop would be a nice-to-have.

Thanks to all the people who worked on Spelunky 1.2 (now called The Spelunky Community Update Project?), since I used that build as my base.

Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5tpefquj0acyqss
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »

Looks amazing! How would this work in first area though? Does the UFO blow up upon contact? Anyways UlI will download!!!

Dujj
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:41:10 PM »

The UFO Vehicle is an item completely separate from the UFO enemy, so you just need to come across one to be able to use it (or press Enter on your keyboard).  You can pick it up or leave it behind, but you have to drop it to use other things like a shotgun.  Now that you mention it though, it might be cool if there was some way to steal a Vehicle from the Enemy in the Ice levels.

The UFO does blow up, but not immediately.  You are ejected from the vehicle a short distance and get a parachute at the peak of your jump (just like the alien).  The UFO blows up, and if you are not in close quarters the ejection should put you out of the range of the explosion. That's part of the risk of using it.

An unoccupied UFO that's just lying around will also explode if it is crushed or if it is in range of an explosion.
EdenNov
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:28:39 AM »

Awesome!
I recommend changing the laser to "jump" instead, so that if I shoot and press down, I wouldn't dismount.

The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
Dujj
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:10:31 AM »

Yeah, I went with that so a player picking up a UFO would immediately know how to use it.  I wanted it to be 'just like any other item', such as the shotgun. 

But I also found it annoying when I was first working on it, and by now I've adapted my play-style to it, thanks for reminding me of this issue.  I probably wouldn't use the 'Jump' button since there will be other vehicles that CAN jump, but perhaps it would work as the 'Bomb' button...(bombs and ropes are disabled in vehicles).

Any thoughts on the fact that you can get hurt by your own lasers?
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »

It's more realistic that way! I hope you actually do update this with more veichles!

EdenNov
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:16:13 AM »

Another "problem"-when exiting with a jetpack, you see in the transition a spaceship with a jetpack attached to it (haven't checked the cape).

I don't know if it's possible to program, but maybe if you jump on a UFO enemy, you could sit, instead of it, in the spaceship?

The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
Dujj
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »

Hm, I'll take another look at the Jetpack, I thought I had accounted for it.  The Cape should work fine, they actually are drawn completely differently since the Cape animates, but I'll look again.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »

Thanks for making this awesome mod!

Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »

Youre a pretty awesome guy
If space pirates were real they would be in awe of you epicness

The transition screens are pretty funny when he flies by in a vehicle
And shift should speed up still

Also damsel and tunnelman turn into spelunker when they get into UFO's
unless that's intentional in which case they turn back upon exiting
(^thats a joke)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:03:42 PM by Mvskoke » Logged
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

Shopkeepers no longer have shotguns. Makes robbing shops too easy. LOL

Dujj
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »

Haha, yeah, I didn't make sprites for the Tunnelman or Damsel yet, I should do that at some point.  I didn't think to test against them since I haven't unlocked them yet (how are you supposed to do that exactly?).

And thanks, yes, Shopkeepers don't have their shotguns.  I keep forgetting to give them back because it's really convenient not being blown to hell when you accidentally explode their shop.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »

This is very cool.

I only played with it a short while so far, but I have a couple possible bugs and ideas:

I found it oddly difficult to enter a one tile high passage.
It's possible to "set down" the UFO in mid air... not sure if it should be.
The jet pack on the alien boss level should be replaced with this.
If you spam X you can fire the laser much faster than aliens do.
If you start moving down right after you shoot, you can shoot yourself.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »

This looks wonderful. First mod I'm going to try in a long time <3
Dujj
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

I found it oddly difficult to enter a one tile high passage.

Yes, this happens.  I think the solution may be setting the player's collision bounds to be something slightly shorter than normal, but I'm hesitant to do so.  Looking for other ways to handle it, but that's probably the way to go.

It's possible to "set down" the UFO in mid air... not sure if it should be.

This is by design.

The jet pack on the alien boss level should be replaced with this.

Great idea!

If you spam X you can fire the laser much faster than aliens do.

Yes, I need to tune this down, thanks for the reminder.

If you start moving down right after you shoot, you can shoot yourself.

This is one of those things I was kinda on the fence about.  I could make the player's laser not hurt them, but then should a UFO Enemy's laser hurt them?  I tried out laser-invulnerability for a while, but having the lasers hurt you seemed more 'right'.  The UFO is a bit game-breaking, especially in the Ice and Temple levels, so I think having a little danger and risk involved is appropriate (this is Spelunky after all).

Thanks to everybody for the kind words a criticism!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: