Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What other kinds of games could be Rogue-liked?  (Read 16423 times)
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:15 AM »

Rogue-like Tactics game?

Fire Emblem comes pretty close.  Just replace the static content with randomized content and you're there.
Which is what gave me the idea in the first place, playing fire emblem while reading about spelunky

Roguelikes are tactics games where you only have one person under your control.
Not really... It's an rpg with one person. not a tactics game.

Hm I could see the metroidvania working.
Just do several check run-throughs and designate certain areas as requiring one item or another to get. And make sure nothing spawns anywhere unreachable.
Yes. I was thinking about this and was imagining having a level generator which develops areas based upon what items/upgrades have already been placed.

So to use Spelunky terminology... imaging a level generator starting off creating only areas which require a max height of two. At some point the level generator places spring shoes into the game and now any area it creates beyond this point can now have a height of three. We know the spring shoes are accessible this way. Again at a later point, climbing gloves are placed into the game somewhere and any further generated spots are allowed to have tall cliffs to climb. The level generator would not finish entire areas in one pass but leave branches left alone to be able to come back to at later points to simulate the whole back tracking thing. Have it jump back and forth while doing the level generation.

Same goes for other items. Only generate gaps of a certain length until a cape is placed and then you can generate larger gaps... etc.

Thats... really well thought out plan. If we got it twisting and turning (so it didn't just make one path, with areas you could go back to) It would work i think...

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »

Hm I could see the metroidvania working.
Just do several check run-throughs and designate certain areas as requiring one item or another to get. And make sure nothing spawns anywhere unreachable.
Yes. I was thinking about this and was imagining having a level generator which develops areas based upon what items/upgrades have already been placed.

So to use Spelunky terminology... imaging a level generator starting off creating only areas which require a max height of two. At some point the level generator places spring shoes into the game and now any area it creates beyond this point can now have a height of three. We know the spring shoes are accessible this way. Again at a later point, climbing gloves are placed into the game somewhere and any further generated spots are allowed to have tall cliffs to climb. The level generator would not finish entire areas in one pass but leave branches left alone to be able to come back to at later points to simulate the whole back tracking thing. Have it jump back and forth while doing the level generation.

Same goes for other items. Only generate gaps of a certain length until a cape is placed and then you can generate larger gaps... etc.

My thoughts exactly!

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 01:34:47 AM »

I would like to have some Kirby game with random levels.

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:58 PM »

Gah, kirby.

Disgusting.

Be afraid.
AceOfScarabs
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 07:05:55 PM »

Sonic the Roguelike! I wish to have randomised zones, to spice things up.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »

how... would that work?

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 11:10:45 PM »

how... would that work?

With 50 randomized enemies, and you spamming down+b.

Be afraid.
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 03:51:29 AM »

Roguelike soccer game! The goals randomly shift position every time a goal is scored, and spike totems occasionally pop out of the ground to impale players.
Ninja_Zane
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 09:32:59 AM »

Roguelike soccer game! The goals randomly shift position every time a goal is scored, and spike totems occasionally pop out of the ground to impale players.
Shocked
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 07:11:58 PM »

And if you die that player stays dead forever!

q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 06:25:48 AM »

DeLGato232
Gah, kirby.

Disgusting.

Why? It would be cool.

marsgreekgod

If I remember correctly, Aztecs played game of this kind IRL.

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »

marsgreekgod

If I remember correctly, Aztecs played game of this kind IRL.
Huh???

q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 02:50:41 PM »

marsgreekgod

Sorry, my mistake. Aztec actually played ballgame ullamaliztli, but sacrifices of losing teams were made by Maya, who also played version of this game called pitz.

(Did I wrote this sentence correct?)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:12:35 PM by q0099 » Logged

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 03:02:07 PM »

marsgreekgod

Sorry, my mistake. Aztec actually played ballgame ullamaliztli, but human sacrifices of losing team were making by Maya, who also played version of this game called pitz.

(Did I wrote this sentence correct?)
Man I would hate to play that game.

AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »

I played that game against eguee yesterday. I won.

Be afraid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: