Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What other kinds of games could be Rogue-liked?  (Read 16345 times)
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »

It would have to put items before where they are needed, but not all at the start... and not behind something that needs something...

nothing like
jump boots (need cape to get)
Cape (needs jump boots to get)

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 08:12:03 PM »

That means you can't get either.

Be afraid.
Uky
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »

Yeah, that's what they mean. You'd need to make sure situations like that weren't created.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »

Which i wouldn't know how to do, so count me out for making that one.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

Hm. Interesting.

Be afraid.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »

but count me in for making a tactics game. (heck I planed on doing that before this topic, I even made sprites and everything)

AceOfScarabs
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:53 AM »

A Rogue-modded X-Com "clone" would be awesome. Imagine the (more) randomly generated battlescapes! More unusual weapons! I want a Legendary heavy Plasma...
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »

Hm I could see the metroidvania working.
Just do several check run-throughs and designate certain areas as requiring one item or another to get. And make sure nothing spawns anywhere unreachable. I realize this is hard to understand so lets draw a picture here:

The dark colored pixels represent the item you need to access the lighter colored regions.

(If you can't see it, use this link: http://willhostforfood.com/files4/1/1/2/1127716/mvrl.bmp)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:33:24 PM by Kegluneq » Logged

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
strongbad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »

A Rouge-like SHMUP would be awesome! SHmups are very hard, and games like     R-type require you to memorize bullet patterns. it would be great to do away with that!
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 10:14:43 PM »

Just do several check run-throughs and designate certain areas as requiring one item or another to get. And make sure nothing spawns anywhere unreachable. I realize this is hard to understand so lets draw a picture here:

The dark colored pixels represent the item you need to access the lighter colored regions.

(If you can't see it, use this link: http://willhostforfood.com/files4/1/1/2/1127716/mvrl.bmp)
You know... that COULD work. that would be hard to make, but that would be EPIC. truly epic. idea: make lots of boss fights from with versons from hard to easy based on how deep they are in the area.

Delmion
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:26 PM »

Yes!  Very much so!  That map may be very basic (how to define "inaccessible without item yet completely accessible with it" will vary a lot based on the nature of the item), but you have reduced it to something that a computer can totally do.  I want to see it made.

--Delmion
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »

No really I bet we could do this. I am ok with game maker. this sounds like fun. whos with me?

Vanguard
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 01:53:07 AM »

Rogue-like Shooter?

Would work.

Rogue-like Racer?

I don't think this would work.

Rogue-like Tactics game?

Fire Emblem comes pretty close.  Just replace the static content with randomized content and you're there.

Rogue-like Sports game?

I don't think this would work either.

Spelunky did the performer very very well.. but what more could be done?

What about either a Link's Awakening/A Link to the Past style action adventure game?

I would suggest a metroidvania, but it looks like that idea has already been thrown out there.

A tacitcs game where you only have one person under your control doesn't seem very much fun to me..

Roguelikes are tactics games where you only have one person under your control.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27:41 AM »

Yes!  Very much so!  That map may be very basic (how to define "inaccessible without item yet completely accessible with it" will vary a lot based on the nature of the item), but you have reduced it to something that a computer can totally do.  I want to see it made.

--Delmion
Could you make a central hub type area that had doors leading to the separate, "closed off" ones? So you would have one area which was not randomized, and had say a destructible wall, or a high wall leading to another. That way you would have to finish whatever area you could reach (containing a bomb, high jump, etc.) before you could enter the others.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Uky
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 07:51:28 AM »

Just do several check run-throughs and designate certain areas as requiring one item or another to get. And make sure nothing spawns anywhere unreachable.
Yes. I was thinking about this and was imagining having a level generator which develops areas based upon what items/upgrades have already been placed.

So to use Spelunky terminology... imaging a level generator starting off creating only areas which require a max height of two. At some point the level generator places spring shoes into the game and now any area it creates beyond this point can now have a height of three. We know the spring shoes are accessible this way. Again at a later point, climbing gloves are placed into the game somewhere and any further generated spots are allowed to have tall cliffs to climb. The level generator would not finish entire areas in one pass but leave branches left alone to be able to come back to at later points to simulate the whole back tracking thing. Have it jump back and forth while doing the level generation.

Same goes for other items. Only generate gaps of a certain length until a cape is placed and then you can generate larger gaps... etc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: