Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What other kinds of games could be Rogue-liked?  (Read 16236 times)
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »

Rogue-like Shooter?
Rogue-like Racer?
Rogue-like Tactics game?
Rogue-like Sports game?

Spelunky did the performer very very well.. but what more could be done?

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:34:44 PM »

Thanks to Arucard, I know of one:

Demon's souls.

Be afraid.
Uky
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »

Hmm... for a shooter, perhaps a game similar in style to Portal but with randomized levels? I wouldn't really call a normal pure action shooter with random levels a rogue-like. Making use of items in all sorts of complex ways is rather key to being a rogue-like in my opinion.

I could certainly imaging a tactics game being done in a more rogue-like fashion. Probably have your teammates just follow you around (like a pet in Nethack), rather then them all being separate entities though.

Hack 'n slash games are a candidate. Hardcore mode on the Diablo games were considered similar to rogue-likes to some. Randomized levels, permanent death. A bit too fast paced for me at times though. Generally I expect to be able to have time to think in a rogue-like. Still, I think you could take a game like Diablo and tweak it a bit to make it even more of a rogue-like and have it be fun.

Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »

Spelunky + Soldat + Many more smarter enemies + slightly more open areas = shooter roguelike? (at least the 2d kind)

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »

Meh, fat princess could be one.

Be afraid.
GreyMario
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »

Roguelike Tetris.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »

Isn't it already? I mean how much more random could it get?

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Delmion
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:14:19 PM »

It just occurred to me to toss in Russian roulette.

--Delmion
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »

It just occurred to me to toss in Russian roulette.

--Delmion

HAH! Good one!

Be afraid.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »

Hmm... for a shooter, perhaps a game similar in style to Portal but with randomized levels? I wouldn't really call a normal pure action shooter with random levels a rogue-like. Making use of items in all sorts of complex ways is rather key to being a rogue-like in my opinion.
I was thinking more of space ship shooter. but thats most likely a better idea.

I could certainly imaging a tactics game being done in a more rogue-like fashion. Probably have your teammates just follow you around (like a pet in Nethack), rather then them all being separate entities though.
A tacitcs game where you only have one person under your control doesn't seem very much fun to me.. 

Hack 'n slash games are a candidate. Hardcore mode on the Diablo games were considered similar to rogue-likes to some. Randomized levels, permanent death. A bit too fast paced for me at times though. Generally I expect to be able to have time to think in a rogue-like. Still, I think you could take a game like Diablo and tweak it a bit to make it even more of a rogue-like and have it be fun.
I... never played diablo...

Demon's souls.
I hear it 's very rogue like. If I had a ps3...

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »

My favorite feature of the Rogue-likes is the character creation. The fact that every time you play, you are a brand new person and on a brand new adventure. This, to me, is what makes each death and replay fun and interesting you kind of build up your own history in the game. It's also what I dislike about a lot of RPGs, the fact that the world is so obviously made just for your character. Oh, so this ancient treasure has been sitting out here in the open for thousands of years and NO ONE has ever bothered to touch it? So, in that sense, any game that can be replayed with varying characters could be an interesting Rogue-like. MMO games jump to mind, a Rogue-like Star Wars. Something like Oblivion would be cool, but that's basically Demon's Souls. The only problem there is, you still play the same character when you die.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Uky
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 01:44:51 AM »

I was thinking more of space ship shooter. but thats most likely a better idea.
Oh, a shmup? That sounds interesting. I like shmups but one of my biggest gripes with them are that I'd often get "better" at the game not by learning to play better but by memorizing the bullet patterns and what not...

A tacitcs game where you only have one person under your control doesn't seem very much fun to me..  
Well an example (though a pretty simplistic one strategy-wise) are the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. Basically they're just RPGs with the dungeon crawling/combat portion of them replaced with rogue-like mechanics. You play one character and have 1-3 others following you and you control them in a limited fashion by selecting what moves they can do, what items they hold, what behavior to follow... etc. You just don't directly control them. It's not so bad and has a similar feel to an SRPG I think. *shrug*

Demon's souls.
I hear it 's very rogue like. If I had a ps3...
Makes me wish I had a PS3 to try it out as well. Although I am skeptical on just how much a game can feel like a rogue-like without having random levels. "Rogue-like" doesn't have a very rigid definition (a bunch of games like Rogue? heheh) but random levels are the first thing I think about when I hear the genre mentioned. There being a hundred ways to die comes in at second for me ;D.
johnnoz
Bean

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 02:04:23 AM »

Well borderlands coming out soon is essentially a diablo-like FPS, and many consider diablo to be very close to rougelikes so THAT combo isn't too far fetched.

lol, a rougelike Metroidvania? randomly generated areas with random saverooms and upgrades and stuff, and it'd spawn some stuff earlier on that would require backtracking and such... actually that could work...
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:51:21 AM »

Well borderlands coming out soon is essentially a diablo-like FPS, and many consider diablo to be very close to rougelikes so THAT combo isn't too far fetched.

lol, a rougelike Metroidvania? randomly generated areas with random saverooms and upgrades and stuff, and it'd spawn some stuff earlier on that would require backtracking and such... actually that could work...
That would  be really cool... if you could make sure it never made levels that can't be beat.

AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »

Yeah, i'd see that as a problem.

Be afraid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: