Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky slow on Radeon HD6670  (Read 7009 times)
TurboC
Seedling

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »

I have an older PC (Athlon 64 4400+ dual core, Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo) and recently upgraded the video card from a 7800GT to a Radeon HD6670.  Now I'm able to run all the off-the-shelf games nowadays like Diablo 3, etc... but when I ran Spelunky, the game was so choppy compared to how it was before.  I'm not using the latest drivers because I've heard horror stories about the version 12 drivers, so I'm using the latest version 11.  Same difference compared to the older drivers that came on-disc. 

Anyone used an HD6670 with Spelunky, and is there a lot of scrolling lag / screen tearing for you?  When I ran benchmarks it said I had gotten a 300% increase in 3D power, but a 25% decrease in 2D.  Anyway, what do you think my problem might be

1.) HD6670 is inherently too slow on 2D to run Spelunky nearly as well as the old 7800GT
2.) The fact that I'm running this new PCIe 2.1 card in my old 1.1 slot, while they are supposedly compatible, is somehow causing an uncharacteristic slowdown of 2D?
3.) Drivers (is it really possible they didn't get 2D graphics working properly for this card until this year?)
4.) Some other incompatibility or weirdness between this card and my old system?  Power?

The card draws a lot of power but my 600W supply should be enough for a single card.  One thing I did notice -- the 7800GT had one of those 4-pin power connections directly from the supply, while the new card doesn't have that, so it's pulling everything through the 1.1 slot on the mobo.  But you would think, if it were a power issue, it would be having problems with games like Diablo 3, not Spelunky?
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »

Try with the latest drivers, then you can rollback if they aren't any better. Vendors fix video card issues all the time in driver updates.

Unsure how running the card in a PCIe 1.1 slot instead of a 2.1 slot would effect it. Your mother board appears to have both PCIe slots as 16 channel though, so it shouldn't be too bad unless that's just an issue with that particular card I think.

Doubt it's a power issue, 600W power supply should be more than enough. If the card is designed to get all of its power through the PCIe slot, it should get all the power needed through it.

After you try updating to the lastest drivers, try running Spelunky 1.2 http://www.spelunkylevels.tk/spelunky12/downloadtracker.php?file=spelunky_1.2_July_3_2012.zip  - it's compiled with a newer version of GameMaker, might have better graphics compatibility.

TurboC
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »

Tried Spelunky 1.2, no effect.  Not gonna install this year's drivers because of the horror stories I've read.  I can't believe late 2011 drivers wouldn't be new enough to run Spelunky correctly. 
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »

You can remove the update if it fucks things up

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: