Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming patch and gold runs  (Read 2565 times)
Gene
Shoot

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »

Based on discussion from people with early access to next patch, it seems that Olmec would now be ghostable.

While this may seem a good idea for allowing more gems to be ghosted, I'm concerned it would make gold runs even more luck based than they are now. The reason is that you have no way to know whether you'll be able to spawn ghost by Olmec time, meaning that for a world-record-class gold run, you'd have to spend hours into a gold run before even knowing whether you have a viable shot at it or not.

Essentially you'd introduce all the luck based aspect of a solo eggplant run into a gold run, except it'd be MUCH more tedious (because with eggplant you just need to carry it forward, while with gold run you spend hours grinding level after level).

Variety is good, and luck-of-the-draw is a legitimate mechanic on a level-by-level basis, but forcing players to spend hours before realizing their run is thrown for reasons beyond their control, seems too unfair even for a rogue-like.

I wonder whether there can be some mechanic adjustment to make sure long runs like a gold run would be, over the term of an entire game, be more skill and less luck based. If the decision to allow Olmec to be ghostable goes ahead, perhaps something like a guaranteed Altar spawn on either 4-1 or 4-2 levels would be enough.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:19:34 PM by Gene » Logged
Michelle Johnson
Mossbaby

Glory To Duggule.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »

Wait, how? Would the ghost come after a longer time? I can imagine a lot of people would get butthurt about the ghost on olmec. Also, they should bring back the one level ghost grace period from classic.

3DS Friendcode: 3969-6271-8787

Steam

AC:NL Dream Address: 4300-4623-8927 (Duggule)
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:40:35 AM »

I wonder if there will be some person who would say, "That's Spelunky!
I too want Spelunky be more skill based and less luck. I always thought if only Spelunky generated it's levels depending on what the player does, like you do not get dark levels when you speedrun.

Also, same question as Michelle.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: