Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky via VirtualBox?  (Read 7955 times)
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »

Does anyone play Spelunky this way? I've got Sun VirtualBox working with a virtual XP machine, under a Vista real machine (which will not run spelunky). With this I can play at least one older GameMaker game, and some OpenGL stuff, but not Spelunky. After the splash appears, I get the error:

"Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the..." etc.

This is one step further than before, but I'm not quite into the game yet Smiley

I'm hoping its not terminal, and that I just need to install directX stuff on the virtual machine, which I am looking into now. If anyone can confirm this off hand, it would be good to know.

Thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:28:31 PM by Daftpanzer » Logged
smileygamer6
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:45 PM »

i got it working using virtual box and linux, but it went incredibly slow and I wasn't able to do much, what os are you using?
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:49:43 PM »

Its a Vista 'host' (the real PC), XP 'guest' (virtual).

After installing the 'guest additions' correctly via safe mode, I can now play, kinda. The display is all messed up in both config and the game itself. I manually edited the config file to get fullscreen and lowest resolution, this is the only way I can actually see the whole game screen, squashed into a tiny area at the top-left. Its too small to play, really. But any other setting, the graphics are either outside the window or are dissapearing into blackness.

Getting Spelunky to work has become a never-ending quest Sad I'm very tired now.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 12:07:58 AM »

WHY DOES SPELUNKY HATE DAFTPANZER SO MUCH?!?!?!
Man this is so unfair, I wish I had an old computer I could just send to you. I can't imagine going through so much trouble to get one little game to work. Really hope you get a break soon.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
smileygamer6
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:06:30 AM »

thats what happened to me when i tried to run it with crossover games, then when I changed the settings.cfg, it stayed in that little corner but i could see the full game. try changing the settings.cfg file to this and getting a program that can zoom in your desktop.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wdt3giotkze
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 03:27:01 PM »

Thanks, smileygamer6 and Arucard Smiley

Well I do have an actual XP machine that runs Spelunky just fine. It just won't run most of the other stuff I want to run these days. And it has no dedicated peripherals, which means dismantling my main PC each time and swapping over. Not ideal for a game you want to play randomly and often  Cry

I'm getting used to the miniturised display Smiley I've tried Vista's built-in magnifier (under accessibility tools) which will works over the VirtualBox window, but its very choppy. I'm on the hunt for a better zoom util now.

EDIT: I should say I had other reasons for trying VirtualBox, like I've now got 3D Studio Max 5 working on it, and I'm trying to get older games like the Settlers III and stuff. Though Spelunky has a lot of appeal for me. I'd never even head of rogue or nethack, but it reminds me of Amiga games like lemmings, diggers, rick dangerous, and I kinda like the Mario-ness of it too. /rant
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:30:48 PM by Daftpanzer » Logged
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »

If you feel like trying other roguelikes, check out Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. You can play it in the classic version, or with tiles. The interface is also pretty easy to get used to, it allows use of the mouse which a lot of roguelikes don't. Here's a link if you (or anybody else) wanna check it out http://crawl-ref.sourceforge.net/, alternatively, you could just look up RLs on google or something there are a lot out there! Cheers!

Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »

I have to say that Dungeon Crawl isn't my thing Sad (although, to be fair I've never given it much of a chance). I have started playing Cave Story though.

EDIT: BTW, I can now play pretty reasonably on Vista, via an VirtualBox XP install, and a program called Magnifixer (a max of about 30 FPS, which is the best I could find, the Vista default magnifier is much worse). I got onto the first ice level today, but only lasted a few seconds... I guess you can't stun Yeti's by jumping on them Smiley
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:59:59 PM by Daftpanzer » Logged
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »

Oh you can, you just have to be really careful about it. The whip on the other hand...

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »

Um, what about the whip? I'm horribly uninformed over here.

Be afraid.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 03:41:28 AM »

Seriously? You can't whip them, it just makes them take a step back and look at you.

Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »

Clarify:
Oh you can (stun Yeti's by jumping on them), you just have to be really careful about it. The whip on the other hand... (cannot stun the yeti at all, it just makes them step back like Arucard said)

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 06:10:17 PM »

Clarify:
Oh you can (stun Yeti's by jumping on them), you just have to be really careful about it. The whip on the other hand... (cannot stun the yeti at all, it just makes them step back like Arucard said)
But some times the go forward anyway.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 05:23:03 AM »

Yeah, there's some glitch about them always jumping left I think? Even if you whip them from the left.

AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »

Somebody explain to me what a virtual box is. Is it one of those crappy vista things?

Be afraid.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: