Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Subtle differences  (Read 27982 times)
robo
Seedling

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »

Both games are great and the new one is definitely worth the purchase.  

For any vets that are curious, here are some initial observations about the technical differences between the XBLA version and the original.

the original had a button where you cycle through inventory items. this made it easier to cook a bomb and do precise, timed shots.  you can theoretically still do this if you drop the bomb on the ground then pick it up again, but it requires a lot of added dexterity, especially if you're already standing over a cluster of items.

if you're holding a rock and you crawl into a ledge-hanging maneuver and theres a wall opposite the ledge (1 tile away), you'll fling the rock at the wall and it will hit you on the head every time.  in the original, the rock only had enough horizontal velocity to fall down the pit.  granted, you can still chuck the rock down manually, but it's tedious.

the whip doesn't have quite the reach.  in the original, you could hit a hanging spider 2 tiles away if you stood at the very edge of your tile.  perhaps the spider hitbox is smaller now.  either way, it makes things harder Smiley

boulder traps seem to travel much further than before.  I like this!

the random event that turns the lights out starts you with a single torch, instead of a crate of three torches.

i've been trying to confirm, but a fantastic bug with the arrow traps seems to be gone.  in the original, if you were above an arrow trap, you could avoid the arrow if you fell directly in front of it, but managed to stay a few pixels away from the trap.  kind of a game changer for me, because i used to be able to avoid the arrow traps nearly 100% of the time if I didn't have a projectile to throw.

cavemen don't seem to live in caves anymore.  Haven't seen one in 12 deaths thus far.
robo
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »

destroying a walking skeleton leaves it's skull intact, ready for pickup.  I think in the original, the skull would be destroyed along with it.

pretty sure throwing rocks in the original didn't destroy pots, either.  My memory is a little cloudy there.

damsels don't seem to be stunned for as long
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »

robo
Could you also check "spike trap transport" feature? If player jumps on horizontally triggered spike trap (had to be almost perfect jump) and then runs in same direction the spike trap moves he could use it as moving platform.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:53:43 PM by q0099 » Logged

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
supermariousa
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »

Pretty sure Tiki Traps spears are longer too.
robo
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »

robo
Could you also check "spike trap transport" feature? If player jumps on horizontally triggered spike trap (had to be almost perfect jump) and then runs in same direction the spike trap moves he could use it as moving platform.

Are you talking about the tiki spear traps in the jungle?  I never experienced that in the original, so it might be hard to repro Smiley

whipping a jar that has a spider in it doesn't automatically kill the spider anymore (surprise!)
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »

robo
No. It's spiky blocks which could be found in fourth world (temple). If player comes too close to them they triggers and move (fly actually) in player's direction.

You could get idea how it works by playing this level: The Pit
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:09:19 PM by q0099 » Logged

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
robo
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »

robo
No. It's spiky blocks which could be found in fourth world (temple). If player comes too close to them they triggers and move (fly actually) in player's direction.

haha, give me some time to get there!  it's taking a while to adjust to the changes in the game, not to mention that it does seem more unforgiving than the original so far Smiley
EdenNov
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

From what I've seen, the spike traps aren't spiky anymore, so they can only kill by squishing. (of course I don't have the game so it's only based on appearance).

The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »

It looks cool

Scorpius1981
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »

I died 47 times (I know.. what a noob, right?) and saw 4 or 5 cavemen
 destroying a walking skeleton leaves it's skull intact, ready for pickup.  I think in the original, the skull would be destroyed along with it.

pretty sure throwing rocks in the original didn't destroy pots, either.  My memory is a little cloudy there.

damsels don't seem to be stunned for as long
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »

• Spiders jump more realistically and in intervals instead of bounce like in the original.
  • Tunnelman may now ask for stuff besides gold.
  • (addition)You may find small critters scattered around the levels that are harmless and you can pick up (like a small blue frog which acts the same as their bigger counterparts).
(Observed in a playthrough online).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:22:16 AM by KarjamP » Logged

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
EdenNov
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »

These critters can trigger arrow traps.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

• There can be more than one miniboss per level
  • There are new random events

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

• Dice in gambling shop replaced with a Wheel of Fortune style wheel. Thank goodness. Handling the dice was always terrifying.
  • No frozen region.
  • The little alien dudes can jump.
  • In the dark levels there are torch holders on the background walls that you can light with your held torch as you pass by. They can't be picked up.
  • (Not positive on this one, but I thought I saw it happen) You can get a stopped boulder rolling again with an explosion.
  • Pushable explosive crate blocks that will explode at the slightest disturbance.

EdenNov
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »

• Snakes now roam constantly and immediately change direction when getting to an edge
  • Bombs' explosions are shaped differently
Edit:
  • The scepter is in the hands of Anubis
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:00:41 AM by EdenNov » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: