Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Configuration - Larger screen without resolution change?  (Read 13911 times)
JTG2003
Seedling

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »

This is a very specific question but .. it would be nice if someone could provide some insight.

I recently installed Spellunky on my HTPC (using a XMBC front end). Long story short, I can't run any external programs that will alter the resolution. It will work fine to begin with, but as soon as I exit the program, my entire front end is useless and I need to restart the computer.

I'm running it on a 52" TV and the 4x resolution looked great while I was playing it, but since it actually changes the resolution, it corrupts my front end.

I'm looking for a way to play this in a window, preferably stretched to help fit my screen without having it change my resolution.

I understand there's not much chance of there being an answer for this, but I thought I should ask anyways.

Thanks,
Jer
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »

I dont think you can do this. I tried to make a super simple mod in which you can stretch the game window but as all of the game is drawn on a surface the resolution stays the same. Someone might be able to make it so you should ask

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »

I have my PC hooked up to a 46" TV, and I also use XBMC. I can't exactly call it a HTPC yet though...  Grin

I just tried running Spelunky with the Advanced Launcher addon from XBMC (1080p, 4x scale, full screen), and I got back into XBMC ok when I quit. Not sure how common it is, but Spelunky and some other Game Maker games will give me a generic Windows error half the time (I can't get it to do it now!) when I quit. Just wondering if this is happening and your system is focused on that prompt and XBMC is covering it.

Tell me more about your setup.. what addon your using to launch external programs in XBMC? Maybe we can figure out why XBMC is hanging? As nathan mentioned, the game is drawn to a surface and then scaled up, but there isn't anything in there that changes your desktop resolution.

I started working on a custom resolution (original idea was just 16:9) Spelunky mod a few months ago, but it got set aside for other things.  It works, but has issues that need fixing due to messing with the aspect ratio of the game. You can try it in its current state if all else fails, but I have a feeling it won't help.

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:14:23 AM »

Kinda off topic, but wouldn't changing the screen size (or the surface I guess) alter the frozen region. Or at least make part of it visible?

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 08:00:20 AM »

Kinda off topic, but wouldn't changing the screen size (or the surface I guess) alter the frozen region. Or at least make part of it visible?

In the source, the frozen region isn't a hard coded size, it's a certain distance from the edges of the current view, so.. it pretty much adjusts itself whenever you mess with the screen/view size. Nice.

JTG2003
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »

I have my PC hooked up to a 46" TV, and I also use XBMC. I can't exactly call it a HTPC yet though...  Grin

I just tried running Spelunky with the Advanced Launcher addon from XBMC (1080p, 4x scale, full screen), and I got back into XBMC ok when I quit. Not sure how common it is, but Spelunky and some other Game Maker games will give me a generic Windows error half the time (I can't get it to do it now!) when I quit. Just wondering if this is happening and your system is focused on that prompt and XBMC is covering it.

Tell me more about your setup.. what addon your using to launch external programs in XBMC? Maybe we can figure out why XBMC is hanging? As nathan mentioned, the game is drawn to a surface and then scaled up, but there isn't anything in there that changes your desktop resolution.

I started working on a custom resolution (original idea was just 16:9) Spelunky mod a few months ago, but it got set aside for other things.  It works, but has issues that need fixing due to messing with the aspect ratio of the game. You can try it in its current state if all else fails, but I have a feeling it won't help.

I tried it with the regular launcher, not advanced launcher. I have advanced installed but for some reason the regular launcher seemed to work better for my emulators so I've been using that. I will try adv launcher tonight.

Do you have the video option "Use fullscreen window instead of fullscreen" on?

Edit: The actual problem I am having when exiting Spelunky is my XBMC window is shrunk to 1/20th  the normal size and shoved into the bottom left corner of the screen. The only way to restore it is to either restart the HTPC or plug in a mouse+keyboard, task manager, close out, restart XBMC, and fix the resolution.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:16:53 PM by JTG2003 » Logged
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »

WHAT IS THE FROZEN REGION!!!

Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »

The area offscreen where nothing happens
 enemies dont move bullets freeze and bombs wont explode
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »

I tried it with the regular launcher, not advanced launcher. I have advanced installed but for some reason the regular launcher seemed to work better for my emulators so I've been using that. I will try adv launcher tonight.

Edit: The actual problem I am having when exiting Spelunky is my XBMC window is shrunk to 1/20th  the normal size and shoved into the bottom left corner of the screen. The only way to restore it is to either restart the HTPC or plug in a mouse+keyboard, task manager, close out, restart XBMC, and fix the resolution.

Ok I'll try the regular launcher and get back to you.
EDIT: The regular launcher works for me too. It minimizes XBMC and returns it to full screen when I quit spelunky.

With the advanced launcher, at first it would switch XBMC to windowed mode when it launched the game, so I went into the "Advanced Modifications" in the Spelunky launcher context menu and switched "Toggle XBMC Fullscreen" to off. Now it stays fullscreen during the entire process.

Where do i find this option? Launcher? XBMC Settings? I'm pretty sure I run XBMC fullscreen, not a fullscreen window.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:50:08 PM by Moloch » Logged

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »

Cool I didn't know that had a name

Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:11:33 AM »

The area offscreen where nothing happens
 enemies dont move bullets freeze and bombs wont explode
Bombs still explode, and bullets still move. Tongue

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 03:54:51 AM »

Bombs still explode, and bullets still move. Tongue
LIES

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:10:41 AM »

Well, actually, it's partially true. Bombs and bullets will freeze in place in the frozen zone, but continue moving/exploding as you scroll them back on-screen. However, bullets are so fast that you can't actually get them back on screen before they re-enter the frozen zone.  Also, depending on how far into the frozen zone a bomb is, it can still explode, even if it's not in view (I use that trick on Tomb Lord all the time).

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
supermariousa
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »

WHAT IS THE FROZEN REGION!!!
I already answered this on the Saving Damsels thread, ALSO GOOD JOB YOUNG ONE!!! YOU ARE FINALLY REALIZING THE POWER OF THE LEGENDARY ALL CAPS
JTG2003
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 08:06:15 AM »

Where do i find this option? Launcher? XBMC Settings? I'm pretty sure I run XBMC fullscreen, not a fullscreen window.

Ya, it's in XBMC settings (System > video, I believe). It's such a silly thing.. XBMC just has trouble restoring its screen with a bunch of programs. It seems like the "Use fullscreen window instead of fullscreen" works better with the majority of programs, maybe not spelunky though.

Didn't have a chance to test last night, was too busy trying to get my AC working.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: