Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Barbarians and The Necromancer's Tower (game by me)  (Read 56856 times)
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »

Game is done! Get it here:
http://tyrovc.com/barbarianandnt/download.html

Old Stuff:

I see that there's a lot of members here posting about working on their own platformer games recently! I'm actually developing a Castlevania-alike game right now as well.

I've completed the first of three stages, so here's a demo if anyone wants to try it out early/get some ideas for their own work. Still trying to come up with a name for the Barbarian, if anyone has suggestions.

Premise:
xxxx The Barbarian hates mages almost as much as he loves gold. While questing, he learns of a tower in which lives a particularly rich Necromancer. Kill Necromancer, get the treasure!

Default Keys:
Movement - Arrow Keys
Get on stair - Up/Down keys
Attack - Z
Secondary attack/item - X
Jump - C
Pause - Enter
Menus are navigated with the arrow keys + attack or Enter key. Gamepad support is also built in, go to Options to configure it.

Download
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:10:52 PM by TyrOvC » Logged

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »

Nice! Its a lot of fun. How did you get super sound? As far as I know, the link is broken? Anyways, good game!!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:16:48 PM by nathantcash » Logged

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »

Feels just like the original Castlevania... very nice. Played with gamepad, worked great. +1 for not making us gamepad users have to set up Joy2Key/XPadder.

Does the sword have the collision box of a whip? While the animation swings it over your head, i found I could only hit things that were right in front me. I couldn't hit candles that were slightly over my head, and I had a hard time hitting bats under any circumstances. There was a long hall that you had to ride a platform to get back across with a ton of bats, and it was just impossible. On the other hand I was usually able to hit bones that were being thrown at me from above.

Can't think of any interesting barbarian names beyond typical ones like Gronak, Crumbgar, Barngrunok, etc.

supermariousa
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »

Name for Barbarian: Zunzack.
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »

Does the sword have the collision box of a whip? While the animation swings it over your head, i found I could only hit things that were right in front me.
It doesn't have the collision box of a whip, or a full sword swing even. I need to tweak it further. I think I'm going to end up with the first frame of the animation, with the sword back diagonal and such, not doing any damage (no force behind the swing yet), and then the collision box starting at the upright position and do a full circular slash forward. So sort of a 90 degree coverage.

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:40:08 AM »

I was actually able to kill skeletons on the ledge above me, though the little death flame still appeared in front of the character. I would also suggest letting the player jump off of the stairs if not onto.

I had this little glitch where I couldn't do anything except die;

I guess I got hit while on the transition or something, I was able to walk up off the screen, but not down. If I went down to the edge and came up the screen would reload and give me full health (assuming I died I guess?).

How about Coinman the Barbarian? Cheesy (I'll try to think of a real one)
Anyway, looks cool so far, keep us updated ok?

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »

What if game would make new barbarian's name every time it played?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:52:00 PM by q0099 » Logged

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention how nice the room transitions are, because I tried doing something like that before in GM and it was a mess.   Undecided

TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »

What if game would make new barbarian's name every time it played?
I'm actually considering that. I'm torn between having the title Grognak (or some other name) the Barbarian or doing a random name thing.  

hmmm "Barbarians and the Necromancer's Tower"

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »

Good idea. Since barbarians tend to travel in hordes, what if there was a horde of them at the outskirts of the tower, but they only send one dude in at a time to kill the necromancer. It's all about courage, honor, proving oneself, etc...he who defeats the necromancer shall be chief/king/whatever. Every time you fail, you see a scene of the barbarian camp - one guy says "Crognar the Blooddrinker has not returned. I fear he has fallen. Who will take up his task?" Another identical looking barbarian shouts: "I, [randomly generated name] shall [random description of how he will kill the necromancer]!" and steps forward, starting another game.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »

Good idea

supermariousa
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »

Can I make an LP of this when it's done?
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »

ERROR in
action number 1
at time step 88
of time line tml_belm:

Error in code at line 4:

mapY+=1;
       ^
at position 6: Unknown variable mapY

ERROR in
action number 1
at time step 88
of time line tml_belm:

Error in code at line 4:

mapY+=1;
       ^
at position 6: Unknown variable mapY

Got this error when walking down the stairs from the top of the tower

Shane
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 05:05:32 AM »

I guess it makes this game a Game Maker game.

Very few GM games work on my computer.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »

Why?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: