Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Depths of Tastes Like Spelunky  (Read 16806 times)
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »

Now your Mantrap can delve deeper than ever before! The whole level is generated ahead of time, then traveled through without any in-between level transitions. Rarely, checkpoints are generated too. You can only activate a checkpoint once,  so use it wisely!

Once you reach the bottom, there's an all new final boss waiting for you! If you are befuddled during the battle, the quick bomb and jump buttons switch.

If you manage to defeat it, you're only halfway to victory. You then must climb (or fly!) back up to the surface before the cavern collapses.

I promise it's at least worth getting to the bottom once, the new boss isn't like anything that's been put in Spelunky before.

Source code is included.

Download Version 1.1

Big thanks to Darken from RMN for the final boss graphics and Musica Cthulhiana for the music!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:54:21 PM by TyrOvC » Logged

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »

Sounds cool, I'll check it out now

----
Edit: broke game bolders break outside walls messed up and drew item down game crashed
---------------

It's a nice mod, but I would rather have it in normal spleunky to be honest, although I am really impressed with what you did here

found a few glichs (like water not spawning, if any part of area 2 is undead, the whole thing is...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:49:28 PM by marsgreekgod » Logged

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »

I actually've found that I enjoy Tastes Like Spelunky more than the original Spelunky, which is why I used it as a base for the mod. Most of the level generation changing stuff should be portable with the original Spelunky though, so that's an option.

The game border walls were supposed to be destructible, but I didn't catch that you could crash the game by throwing items across them! Fixed it and currently uploading a new version.

halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:33 PM »

I actually've found that I enjoy Tastes Like Spelunky more than the original Spelunky
Awwww yeaaaaah. Cool

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »

Glitchy. Remove the enter debug, remove the checkpoints, and half the timer. 9 minutes is insanely long.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:20:13 PM by Pteriforever » Logged
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:40:35 PM »

What do you mean by enter debug?

Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »

Hit enter for 99 HP.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:01:30 PM by Pteriforever » Logged
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »

I wonder if that was in the version of TLS that I started this mod with. The one deep level idea I think I fiddled with originally ~six months ago so it's built off an old version of TLS.  Course it's been a while, so I might have added it. Tongue

Thanks for the report, I had no idea that existed!

Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 02:56:11 AM »

Also, at least on my computer, the game occasionally crashes on "reticulating splines".  I'd also like to see the checkpoints removed or at least fixed --  Currently, you can die and reload from a checkpoint in an older game.
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »

I'm going to keep working on this eventually. I've got other things I have to work on right now though.

Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »

Please do  Smiley Wink
Gorm
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 11:44:02 PM »

Great mod!

The final boss sure is impressive, to say the least. It would be better if I had any idea how to defeat it, though. I don't know if my attacks do any damage or whether or not (or how) I'm supposed to use the items I'm apparently guaranteed to find before/at the boss.

Beyond that, my only issue with this mod is that without level exits the damsel and golden-idol-replacement-thingy are pretty useless.

Inofficial forum lurker: I may not always answer, but I'm always listening. Always! Mwahaha!
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 03:13:59 AM »

golden-idol-replacement-thingy

(pssst, it's a glazed ham!)

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
EdenNov
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »

...without level exits the damsel and golden-idol-replacement-thingy are pretty useless.
My thoughts exactly, although I usually just eat the ham for health.

It would be better if I had any idea how to defeat it, though. I don't know if my attacks do any damage

They do, it just takes a lot of time.

...whether or not (or how) I'm supposed to use the items I'm apparently guaranteed to find before/at the boss.
Do you mean the huge cake or the machete? I found that the the cake thing replays the last message shown when you eat it (I don't know if it does anything else), and the machete is just a machete.

The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:41:55 AM »

THe final boss is pretty easy. All you need to do is throw like 25 bombs and you'll win.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: