Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatal technical problems with Spelunky? Yes, it is possible!  (Read 11060 times)
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:06:12 PM »

I know this game is supposed to be compatible on all windows systems ever. But this isn't my experience. I've found a few postings on other forums with similar problems, however there is no help offered. Rather, these posters are ignored at best, or else they are savagely abused, and accused of being total retards with regards to using computers.

So, firstly, I wish to say that I do not consider myself a total retard with regards to using computers, because I've been getting games to work since the days of config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Now then, my problem. The game always crashes thus when I attempt to run it (and the config thingy too):

Compatibility modes and administrator rights make no difference.

My main system is Vista home premium, quad 2.4 ghz, 3 gig ram, and GeForce 8400 GS.

I have been able to play on another computer (XP, single 2ghz, 512 ram, GeForce 5700), so I know its not a faulty download, and I can tell you that said crash occurs before the 'Spelunky' logo thing even appears. Sadly, it is very inconvenient to use that other computer, since it currently lacks its own peripherals, for one thing.

This is a fun game, from what I've been able to play. ANY help would be VERY appreciated. Thanks Smiley
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:26:08 PM »

Don't worry, we're all nice here Grin

So you say compatibility (xp service pack 3, or maybe earlier) doesn't work?
Does said problem happen with other GameMaker games? Or is it just Spelunky?

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »

Hey,

The compatbility mode for XP is service pack 2, so it says. It does not work.

I just downloaded a couple of games from the YoYo games site, they do not work either (one crashes straight away, the other hangs invisibly in the background and has to be terminated via task manager). So I guess its a problem with all gamemaker things. I have a feeling its related to sound somehow.

There are some people who run this on Vista, right?  Huh?
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:54:25 PM »

I run it on 7...
I'm pretty sure there are some Vista users around here though.

But at least we now know that its a GM thing, not just Spelunky. yoyo site offer any support?

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:17:53 AM »

I've been running it on Vista since 9.98 and only had a couple little problems. As far as those other GM games, some that were made with prior versions of it need to be updated to work on Vista. Spelunky is not one of them though, so I'm not sure why it would do this to you. You might try using it anyway if nothing else is working: just make a backup of your .exe (it makes a backup anyway, but just to be safe)

http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/Making_games_work_under_Windows_Vista

Doubt it will work, but hope it does! Good luck  Smiley

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »

Hey thanks for that link Smiley I downloaded the tool but it just says the Spelunky.exe and the games I downloaded should already run under Vista Sad

I had a look on the YoYo forums yesterday, there were some posts relating to vista problems, but no solutions, unfortunately.

Do you think it could be a sound hardware issue?
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »

No idea, I doubt it though, as none of the fatal hardware errors we have ever encountered in all of development crashed like that (I believe).

Derek, can we have confirmation on that?

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »

This fellow http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=72.0 seems to have had an issue because of the music, though the thread is effectively dead. So, I assume he either got it working, or gave up.
There's another here http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=192.0
But it received no response unfortunately. Have you tried downloading one of the previous builds? Such as 9.99? There was a link from the wiki, but that apparently leads here now. TIG source does not seem to be loading for some reason, but there should be somewhere you can find it. If nothing else PM me and I'll send you a copy of mine. It really sucks that people are having random issues with getting it to run.  Sad

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »

Thanks very much for all the help Smiley But I think this is just my bad luck Sad

Since it seems all GameMaker games will not run on my PC, I guess that older versions of Spelunky will not work either. I don't even get the Spelunky splash logo to appear, and I get the exact same crash if I rename the SuperSound.dll, so now I'm guessing its not sound related.

Does Spelunky write any files to 'my documents' or etc? I'm wondering if its a permission thing with Vista, though I have tried running it as an administrator, to no avail.
johnnoz
Bean

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »

Well almost all game maker games store save data in the registry, not sure if vista has issues with that or not.

If you've got them installed in program files try moving them. Never ever install games into program files on Vista XD.

Also if you have suspicions that its a sound issue update drivers etc, the usual stuff. Could be just plain incompatibility if you have any obscure hardware...
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »

Yeah its weird what goes on with 'program files' in Vista, and the whole virtual store thing it does. So I had spelunky folder on my desktop, and I've also tried from C:\ and from flash drives, but no luck.

Strangely I have found one GameMaker game that works, its called 'balls up', its pretty basic and it doesn't have any sound.... I have updated my sound drivers, but unfortunately that didn't help the other games.

Just for the record, here's the motherboard and sound (its a store PC, so I'm not 100% on the motherboard):

Foxconn G33M05 with Viiv
Realtek ALC High Definition Audio

Anyway, I had some games today when I took the time to connect up my old PC. I accidentally blew up one damsel and had another crushed by a giant boulder Smiley I guess I'll have to content myself with such rare sessions. I'm reading up about VirtualPC in the meantime (anyone run Spelunky that way?).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:54:41 PM by Daftpanzer » Logged
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »

Well, mac users can run it through Parallels, so I guess VirtualPC would work too.

Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 05:31:57 PM »

I haven't tried VirtualPC yet (actually I'm reading about Virtual Box now) but I just want to report that I manually added registry keys for highscore (copied from my old computer that will run Spelunky) and this made no difference. I'm assuming its not a permissions thing, rather the exe simply fails before getting to that stage. Or doing anything, probably.

At this point I give up, and put it down to a random hardware dislike Sad
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:35:19 PM by Daftpanzer » Logged
Derek
Mossmouth
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »

Hi, Daftpanzer.  Sorry to hear the game's not running on your box. Sad

I'll look into the hardware compatibility problems when I have time, but it may be a problem with Game Maker itself (especially if no GM games run on your computer).  The next version of Game Maker should fix those problems, though, and I'll compile Spelunky with it as soon as it's released.
Daftpanzer
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 08:09:46 PM »

Derek, I am honoured! This is one fine game Cheesy

I have since been able to play (kinda) on my main machine, via an VirtualBox windows XP install. Since others can play on Vista, and VirtualBox creates virtual hardware, I still guess that its a random hardware/driver issue that prevents me playing on Vista straight off Huh?

Since my case seems unique, I wouldn't want to waste any of your time. I will be looking out for the new version Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:11:36 PM by Daftpanzer » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: