Poll
Question: Should I add some kind of a ammunition system into my mod, Spelunky - the Lost Update?
Yes! Add it now! Coingun needs a use! - 2 (66.7%)
No! Never add it! I want OP shotguns! - 0 (0%)
Maybe! Add an option to disable! For everyone! - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky - The Lost Update - Additional Things  (Read 5502 times)
bloxxin
Mossbaby

Long time no see...

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »

I want to know if I should add an ammunition system into my mod Spelunky - The Lost  Update. This is mainly only for a use for the coingun, as this would be one of the best weapons due to its almost limitless ammo supply. But such an addition would drastically change Spelunky, so I want to know if this should be added or not.

halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »

I should think it makes sense to shoot gold straight out of your wallet. And no, you shouldn't be able to pick it up again. Maybe...you could charge the weapon up so it fires more gold, but does more damage?

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
bloxxin
Mossbaby

Long time no see...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »

I should think it makes sense to shoot gold straight out of your wallet. And no, you shouldn't be able to pick it up again. Maybe...you could charge the weapon up so it fires more gold, but does more damage?

I had also thoughts of having it spawn in the City of Gold, possible inside that Xoc thing.

But that wouldn't be as useful in the long run, for then just 2-3 levels are left. Which also gives me thoughts for extra levels and whatnot. (I'm getting a hang of how the level generation works, gotta add those spazzy shoppys cooped up in there minature strongholds from HD.)

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »

I'm for it! My reasoning is that all the new guns are cool, but also kind of unbalanced. If you had to limit yourself to avoid running out of ammo, it would offset that somewhat.

You are of course free to ignore these suggestions, but here's how I imagination working:

Excluding exceptional cases like the coingun, all guns use "bullets", not specific calibers for each weapon or anything. No need to make it that complicated. But some, like the shotgun, might use up more than one per shot.

The first time you pick up a gun which is not for sale (i.e. unowned, or you just purchased it) you get a certain amount of bullets (similar to how the bow works).

More ammo would be available in supply or weapon stores, as well as found randomly like bombs and ropes are.
bloxxin
Mossbaby

Long time no see...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »

I'm for it! My reasoning is that all the new guns are cool, but also kind of unbalanced. If you had to limit yourself to avoid running out of ammo, it would offset that somewhat.

You are of course free to ignore these suggestions, but here's how I imagination working:

Excluding exceptional cases like the coingun, all guns use "bullets", not specific calibers for each weapon or anything. No need to make it that complicated. But some, like the shotgun, might use up more than one per shot.

The first time you pick up a gun which is not for sale (i.e. unowned, or you just purchased it) you get a certain amount of bullets (similar to how the bow works).

More ammo would be available in supply or weapon stores, as well as found randomly like bombs and ropes are.

I actually had thoughts of doing separate ammo and stuff, which ammo could drop from crates, but only to the current weapon you have. (arrow bundles/crates?) There would possibly be an ammunition depot that would sell bulk bullets and arrows at a price, and any other kind of special ammunition. (energy cells for plasma cannon?)

Hmm, I could make a rudimentary list right here just for kicks.
Pistols - Bullets
Shotgun - Pellets*2 (Who says that they don't have dual barrels?)
Boomstick - Pellets
Minigun - Ammo Belt
Flamethrower - Fuel Tanks
Plasma Cannon - Energy Cells
Sniper Pistol - Tracer Bullets
Flaregun - N/A
Coingun - Gold
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:49:02 AM by bloxxin » Logged

halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »

I should think the flare gun would fire flares. Tongue

bloxxin
Mossbaby

Long time no see...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »

I should think the flare gun would fire flares. Tongue

The flaregun isn't such a good weapon to really bother implementing ammo for it.

halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:06:16 AM »

If it's anything like TLS' Red Lamp, I beg to differ.

bloxxin
Mossbaby

Long time no see...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »

If it's anything like TLS' Red Lamp, I beg to differ.

The Red Lamp? I haven't seen what that does, besides the combo of the fireball and four flares.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:19:52 PM by bloxxin » Logged

halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 05:25:57 PM »

It fires one flare at a time if it's not paired with a yellow lamp. They may not fly as far as proper bullets, but they can hit multiple targets and ricochet off walls.

bloxxin
Mossbaby

Long time no see...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:28:07 PM »

Well, looks like it is decided! (3 votes? Seems legit.)

I have to admit, getting one of the powerful weapons makes it OP. Even just a shotgun if OP. It adds some more strategy with conserving your ammo, and maybe using melee weapons! (Yay Crysknife!)

I gotta figure out how those ammo depots are gonna work... (with the variety of ammo available, it might not have what you're looking for, nevermind that the shop has to spawn, but the kinds that could spawn.)

I could just have pots, crates, etc. drop ammo to the proper weapon you are holding at a chance, also dependant on how powerful your weapon would be.

p.s. to halibabica: Any rock, pot, skull, corpse, flare, and item can be used as a weapon already, I still see no point just to have an ammo system for flareguns.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: