Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Pokemon Thread  (Read 14206 times)
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 01:55:52 AM »

but really, 99/100th of the time, it's just a wasted move that does nothing more than piss me off.

No. Only in the campaign is it that. In the metagame it's perfectly balanced. Your opponent is going to protect? Fine. Use recover, or raise your stats, or get a free switch-in, or lay stealth rock. Besides which, there are lots of overpowered things you could complain about before going on about protect.  Wink

/rant

Yes I agree that HGSS was very well-done.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 02:05:53 AM »

But I mean, when I'm playing the game, and especially in-the-game, not with real people or battle tower, It's just annoying, because they only ever get to do it once, unless they're stupid and do it again, but my point is, if i'm not able to accurately predict what they're going to try to do, i'm going to use My Elemental Punch, fang, or whatever I would normally do until they stop trying, because you never know how many times they will try(and succeed) Granted, if they're using a strategy, like with Toxic, or Pressure, then yeah, You can account for that, because it's much more predictable with what they're likely to do.

Basically, i just mean it's a complete nuisance when someone who has no idea what they're doing with protect/detect uses it, thinking it will help them win, when in reality, that only happens if there is either a plan in place, or chance on their part. Also, It's incredibly annoying when it's their Last Pokemon. That's really what I meant. I didn't clarify that earlier, but when they are just using it, to use it, because they have nothing else to do really, it's just a huge bother to me. I dunno. certain things just really aggravate me sometimes. Protect is one of those things XD another is When people Smash Mailboxes, or in Roller Coaster Tycoon, they break my benches/trash cans/etc.

Oh well. I do wish that when you turned on the GB Sounds, that it played the GameBoy Color Version sound effects, when it could, for certain moves and stuff, because most of the sounds clash horribly with the brilliant GameBoy Color music.
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »

GamesRadar did do a story about how "there is no 'cheap' move in any game

That is utter bullshite, whether they were talking about pokemon, rpgs, or games as a whole

RPG's have those bosses who can one hit you
Fighting games have spam moves
side scrollers have fullscreens and undodgables
etc etc

although, on topic, I dont think theres anything that cheap in pokemon, I mean protect is actually rather useless in my opinion unless you combine it with multibattle or status effects, otherwise its just a delay

ANYWAY
Pokemon: Larvitar followed by Blastoise and Haunter
Hardest Gym: Probably Flannery or Tate & Liza, both gave me a lot of trouble on my run throughs of R/S/E, though of course a nicely leveled water pokemon will still wipe out Flan
Game: Crystal

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »

That's why I find Protect cheap. cause it just Delays(and seriously pisses me off) you. >.<

But yeah, there are some cheap things, but usually they're intended to bet hat way. like Bosses and stuff that you aren't supposed to be able to beat yet in Final Fantasy for example. But also In DBZ Budokai 2, I always used side+E with Dr. Gero's Perpetual Energy, and that was cheap. I never lost once I started doing that xD

Hmm. I never had a problem with it, cause I always caught a Mankey, but apparently in Pokemon Yellow, most people had issues beating Brock with a weak Pikachu and Rattatas and Pidgeys. but yeah, it was more of strategy at that point, rather than difficulty.
Bae
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 11:53:22 PM »

Oh right, that too, that was all kinds of bull

[0/18]complete

Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 12:19:09 AM »

Protect in the campaign: annoying, useless.

Protect in the metagame: actually good if used correctly (and balanced).
Bae
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 12:33:34 AM »

only if you can call your opponents moves, but I guess that is a necessary skill anyway

[0/18]complete

Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 01:31:52 AM »

On the topic of cheap moves, I always remember DK's pound move thing from Super Smash Bros.

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »

Ahhhh! I used to do 100 Man Melee in, Melee doing that Cheesy
It was definitely toned down in Brawl though.

And yeah, my point is that protect is annoying as hell unless used properly.

Also, can whoever the first person is, please Uncapitalize the topic? it's rather aggravating.
Bae
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »

its not that annoying

also i dont thing the ground slapping thing from smash bros was that cheap on anything but the computer, the amount of aerials and projectiles ruins its use

[0/18]complete

Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »

Yeah, I only used the technique when in MultiMan Melee.

and i dunno. certain things really bug me xD
supermariousa
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »

Did I seriously fucking say that my favorite Pokemon game was BLACK AND WHITE?!?!?!? The fuck?! What was I THINKING when I said that?!?!?
My favorite is Gen 2.
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

Johto had the cooest pokemon
Of course choosing between totodile and cyndaquil is tough
Both are too cool. My faces are
Charizard
Totodile/cyndaquil/sciscor/celebi
Sceptile/aggron
Past hoenn I don't really care
supermariousa
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »

Past hoenn I don't really care
Yeah, Diamond, Pearl and Platnium sucked. The whole game felt like a fucking chore to do!!!
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 03:38:52 AM »

I rather enjoyed that gen, actually. :/

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: