Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A silly question  (Read 3938 times)
zzedar
Seedling

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »

I'm a real newbie to Spelunky, so could someone explain the point of the City of Gold to me? As I understand it, you have to go to the Black Market to get into the City, and once you've been to the Market, there are no more shops generated. Given that, why would you want more gold? Is there something else desirable in the city, or is there some other use for gold I'm unware of, or what?
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »

Gold collected is basically your high score. Although you can only use it to buy items in the game, your goal is essentially to leave the cave with as many riches as possible.

So, yeah. Points!

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:56:58 PM »

And its awesome! And does the black market really stop shops from generating. Also if you really want to go to the city of gold CLICK HERE

zzedar
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:13:24 AM »

Ah, I see. I came to Spelunky through my love of roguelikes, so I have trouble getting into the more arcade-ish "high scores are the goal" attitude of this.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:13:35 AM »

For the first while you should only try to beat the game. I highly recommend giving Spelunky more of a chance

Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:46:03 AM »

In Spelunky, the "goal" is whatever you want it to be. Cheesy

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:00:41 AM »

Imma beat the game holding a pot the whole time without damsels, items, bombs, ropes, and Imma beat it in like 7 min.  Cool
Shane
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »

That's going to be hard -_-

I still have to beat it, 2500 deaths isn't doing anything for me.
Guess my goal is to win at least once.
zzedar
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »

Incidentally, while on the topic of newbie questions, I notice a number of guides say that on dark levels, you should carry around the box of flares rather than an individual flare. Why is this? Intuitively, it would seem that it'd be better to split it early, so you'd have a backup in case something happened to your carried light source.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »

It's recommended to keep them in the box because three flares are more difficult to manage than one. You also have more control over where the box is thrown because it's heavier. Whether you break it open or not really depends on the kind of dark level you're up against.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »

Highscores can be a goal, but like most rougelikes finishing the game can be more than enough of a challenge.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »

^

What he said.

Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »

For flares The box is good but in jungle levels sometimes you have to break it up to get over water. Otherwise if your box gets extinguished your Outta luck
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 12:50:55 AM »

I wish you could relight torches like in xbla

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »

I don't care about the high score much either, but for me, just visiting the city of gold is the goal. Well, secondary to actually reaching the end, of course). You are supposed to be a treasure hunter after all, what treasure hunter would want to visit the City of Gold?

Regarding flares, I figure the best plan it to keep the box until you have a specific reason to split it. That way if/when you do finally split it, you can leave the extra flares further along in the level so you won't have to back-track as far to get a replacement if you need it.

Note: After you open the box, you might be tempted to juggle all three flare to keep them with you, but in my experience this takes way too much time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: