Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEWS] Spelunky XBLA Debut Trailer!  (Read 13445 times)
Derek
Mossmouth
Bean

View Profile Email
« on: June 14, 2011, 03:25:35 AM »

http://youtu.be/TCswu85rJYY

Yay!

Many months of hard work are culminating into a game I'm very proud of! We still have a few more months to polish up Spelunky XBLA, but I'm happy to be showing off what we have now... I think it's a good sign when making a trailer is this enjoyable. Watch it in HD to catch all the details!
Known & Unknown
Mossy

Known for short!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »

The trailer looks great!
It gives you a lot to ponder...

You're awesome, Derek.

Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »

YESSSS IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL.
I hope that you guys included the option to use original music for my nostalgic moments. You know, when I get a 360.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!

Good thing me and my room mates decided to split for a 360!

*EXCITED*

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Boud
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »

Yaaaay here too ! Certainly one of the best games i have ever played, really addictive, great work Derek, hope you get a lot of success with this one, you really deserve it !

Can we hope for a Psn release someday or the game will stay a XBLA exclusive ?

Also, this was done on the XNA framework ? did you do the code, like for the game maker version or did you do the art/level design/ game design on this one ?

(I hope there isn't already responses for these questions in the forums...anyway bravo)
bejerild
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »

First of all I'd like to say great work on this. I'm a huge fan of the original, and this is my most anticipated game this year. Everything about it looks to be building off of everything that made the original Spelunky great, but I do have some worries about the music.

If the trailer is any indication of what the music will be like for the game, please try to get more fitting music for this before releasing it! I don't even care if it doesn't have the old chiptune soundtrack, but a game this great deserves a suitable, complimentary soundtrack like the original had. It makes me cringe hearing 'gameshow' like music for this game. The new person composing the music is obviously talented, but please consider asking someone like flashygoodness or other notable indie game composers to cover or remix some classic Spelunky tunes. I know your fans would love it.
Stormworm
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »

Looks awesome! I wish I could play it already...
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »

Looks wonderful Derek!

Now go finish those last 10% ^^
Cassander
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:00:16 AM »

Wow, this looks fantastic. I'm more excited about this game then any of the other retail titles! I have to make one negative comment though. And I've seen that many, many people share this negative cristizism: the music is horrendously bad Sad
It's a) completely unfitting to the game and setting
and b) it's mostly just plain bad composition.
Just look at the comments made at indiegames.com or joystiq and other sites.
As we're still months off a release, please let another composer crack a whip at the music. So so much talent out there to hire; some of the musicians from Rare (creators of some of the most memorable of gaming soundtracks) are for hire now, after leaving the company - Dave Wise, Steve Burke...

Otherwise I fear I will have to use the Xbox custom soundtrack option for the first time Sad

Anyway, I'll buy this on release day for sure!
Derek
Mossmouth
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:17 AM »

Hey, dudes! Glad you like the trailer!

Regarding the music, yes, we've definitely noted the negative criticism! A couple of things to keep in mind, though: 1. the track is not taken from any of the game's levels, and 2. the composer is Phlogiston, who started the indie game music and chiptune label Pause. He's also composed soundtracks for popular indie games like Super Crate Box.

Personally, I think the music in the trailer works well for the trailer, because it's very fun and catchy (and memorable, apparently!). I don't think it's fitting to be played during the levels, but it was never intended to be played there (it was originally written for the credit roll, actually). But for the trailer, which I wanted to be uplifting and put people in a fun mood, we thought it was awesome.

As for the actual in-game music, I'll let Phlog speak more about it himself later, but I thought I'd address it here now, since people seem worried and you guys have been supporting the game from the beginning. Hopefully what I said makes you feel better! Let me know if it does or doesn't... we do want fans of the game to be happy.

Smiley
sabinsx
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 05:12:52 AM »

WOW.  i was really looking forward to buying this for xbox live until i heard the soundtrack.

i don't mean to be harsh... but that really killed it.  (is this the rest?  http://youtu.be/609VSWhXnvs )  it's just... super cheesy.  cheesy horns are cheesy.

i guess i could always just turn the music off... but really i'm hoping there is either better music, or an option for the old music.  =o\

and yeah... once again... i really want to play this game, and i'm not trying to just be a jerk (to you or the music's creator)... but that music is just not something i find agreeable.

edit: i apologize.  once again, i'm not trying to be hurtful, just express my disappointment.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:21:54 AM by sabinsx » Logged
Stormworm
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »

I dont know if there is an option to switch between the old and new graphics but, having the same option to switch between the new and old soundtrack might please some fans?
Loving the water effects btw.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:29:37 AM by Stormworm » Logged
Delmion
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »

Wow, it's so good to see this in action.  I hadn't been following the site for awhile because it looked like information was coming out slowly these days; but here I come back and see a ton all at once.

This stuff looks great in actual play.  Various concerns that had arisen from the still images turn out not to be so, such as the "giant blood lumps" from enemies which appear to animate just fine in the end.

I'm also surprised and excited by the idea of additional themed areas.  Giant bees?  Sure, why not.  Ah, Anubis?  Hello!  I had been concerned that Kali was overrepresented as a deity within the game (she's the only deity to be mentioned twice), so adding another one (at least) makes the game feel better.

My biggest concern is, again, with the music.  Let me deal with an older issue first.  I already posted about this once, but now I can be certain what piece you're using for the title screen (the one at the end of the trailer).  To rewrite: I hope you change your mind.  Think about how much of the title music the average player hears--namely, about five seconds while deciding whether to start over after the most recent death or do something else.  This means that, after a hundred deaths, the player will hear the thudding-and-fake-brass sounds of the start of that piece a hundred times, and grow to hate it.

Now, the newer issue.  It's the brass again!  Out of everything played in that trailer, I can say that the fake saxophone which starts playing a little over a minute in represents all my complaints about it.  The music was, in fact, "uplifting" before we got to that point.  Then it was horrible and, well, nasal somehow.  Like playing music through a stuffy nose, while tossing silly notes around as if we were watching a children's TV show.

Am I saying "chiptunes" are the answer?  No, no I'm not going to say "older is better, you may not innovate."  I liked most of the rest of the musical pieces in that "Here be the musics" thread.  I really, really hope that you get away from things that are trying to be cutesy (the music across most of the trailer) or trying to be classic-pompous-adventure-music-or-something-like-that (the title music), and just make music.

--Delmion
johnnoz
Bean

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »

I was expecting the game to look good in motion but damn, this is beautiful.

My only real gripe is that the pc's animations aren't particularly expressive, they have too much of a 'paper doll' feel to them IMO.
Sageofrage
Mossbaby

Crashinator08
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »

People that make comments like this:
TERRARIA CLONE !
And this:
TERRARIA RIP-OFFFFF HOLY FFFF
And even this:
Cheaply Terraria-Clone BORRRRING!
Should be shot, the fact that people can be this stupid is pathetic.
Yes these comments have been copy pasted from Youtube.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: