Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Portable + Spelunky 1.2 combined  (Read 10021 times)
Balance
Seedling

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:07:55 AM »

Hi everyone,

I've played Spelunky for about two days now and just can't stop it. So it would appear that it will become a major time-sink for me in the next weeks...  Undecided

Shortly I've stumbled across two great "mods" in this forum, both of which seem awesome - the unofficial "1.2 bugfix patch" and the "portable" mod. Both seem like the way to go if you want to enjoy the "original" game to the fullest, but I am confused whether or not I can combine them.

I've searched the forum here already but didn't find any useful results on how they stack together.

Could someone here explain to me, how one can combine and use them properly? Right now I've got the official 1.1 files, then I copied over the "Portable" files, replacing some of the original ones in the process... and on top of that I added the 1.2 files.

So now I've got three ways to start the game: The official "Spelunky.exe", the "Spelunky Portable.exe" and the "Spelunky1.2.exe".

So how can I play the game with the 1.2 bugfixes whilst preserving my scores across platforms with "Spelunky Portable"?

Thanks for helping me out.  Smiley
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 03:54:26 AM »

Your scores should preserve automatically, assuming the game's ID code was not changed for portable (I know for sure it wasn't changed in 1.2).  But to get 1.2's bug fixes in portable, you'd need someone to combine the mods in game maker.  No amount of file copying will accomplish that.  So, seeing how much of a ghost town this is already, you may just be out of luck on that one. Shocked

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Balance
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 05:17:16 AM »

So, it seems you can play the 1.2 version and your scores from 1.2 will be saved in your registry, but not into the portable version. (Just tried it out).

However, it seems you can import the 1.2 scores from your registry into your portable version.

So basically you can play the 1.2 version and use the portable version only occasionally in order to back up the scores and restore them, if necessary.

Neat  Smiley

Thanks for your help.
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »

I'll merge the score portability with 1.2 early next week. I have a deadline for something else to meet right now.

Edit:
This forum is on my list of websites to check on the second Thursday of every month. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:50:17 PM by TyrannicalOverlordC » Logged

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »

Thanks, TOC.
 Cheesy

TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »

Aw shoot, I completely forgot about this. I'll get on it tomorrow!

supermariousa
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »

Cool idea!
Legend
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »

I was just wondering if this has been combined yet?

I was also wondering if it can be used with the potions mod too? I haven't tried any mods yet, but this one and the potions mod are two that interest me.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:02:29 PM by Legend » Logged
Nintenturd
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:17:42 AM »

SPELUNKY is portable by design - e.q. SELF-CONTAINED.
It has all its data nicely placed in its folder - all configs and such
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »

no, no it isnt, save files hide in your computer in separate places, otherwise moloch wouldnt have needed to make a mod, would he?

Trust me, I'm a professional
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:50:20 PM by Baekara » Logged

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Nintenturd
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 12:34:54 AM »

Windows edition I have - has no saves, only keyboard.cfg, gamepad.cfg, settings.cfg, stats.txt
Maybe it's because I never used any custom levels? 0o_o0
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:42:46 AM »

When we say "saves," we're referring to your high scores, which is directly linked to the unlockables.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 04:18:13 AM »

Yeah, it's all registry stuff, which I must say is one thing GM does rather neat.
However, it wouldn't be hard to adjust 1.2 to have the portable stuff. Just change where it outputs the data to (A file rather than a registry key) and change how it read the data (from the file). If you really wanted, you could put in some measures to prevent people from whacking in huge scores and the likes, but really I see no point. Just make it a basic text file, for convenience.

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:18 AM »

Yes, and to expand on what Kegluneq and Wonkyth said, those high scores are tied to Spelunky's serial code in GM, which is data tracked lord knows where.  Even if you delete Spelunky off your computer, it still remembers those high scores wherever they're hidden.  Likewise, if you port your copy of Spelunky to a new machine, the scores won't go with it.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 04:38:38 AM »

Try regedit.
Just type "regedit" into the start menu search and press enter.
Then, look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Game Maker\Scores.
There will be a file in that with a number, which corresponds to Spelunky's ID code.
If you want to delete that registry, it may or may not remove all your scores and stuff.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, TOUCH NOTHING ELSE!
SERIOUSLY, YOU CAN BREAK YOUR COMPUTER SO BAD IT WILL NEED A NEW MOTHERBOARD BY SCREWING THE THE REGISTRIES!

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: