Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of game would you like to see with random level generation?  (Read 6556 times)
orange08
Bulb

Indeed.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »

Today I decided I would make a random level generator, like the one in spelunky.
It took me all day, but I love the result =)

Yeah, no gameplay or anything yet, but the level generation WORKS! And I'm probably gonna make a game out of this!
BTW, those tiles are not the ones from Spelunky ;O I made them myself, Of course, with huge inspiration from the Spelunky tiles.

Alright, since I have a basic level generator, what kind of game would you like to see made out of it? I'd rather stay away from a spelunky clone  Wink (lols) So what kind of game do you think would be good for this? Smiley
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:03:09 PM by orange08 » Logged
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »

Well, good for you!
(Really, I don't mean to sound sarcastic or anything.)

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Audioworm
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »

A winner is you!
I won't get my hopes up too much but I'll be looking forward to the game somewhat. Wink

orange08
Bulb

Indeed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:30:45 AM »

@Kegluneq
Thanks! Smiley

@Audioworm333
I'd appreciate any ideas you might have (aside from a spelunky clone)! Cheesy

Edit: I just got a cool idea. I could make a game that's still Spelunky-based, but not a clone at all.. here's my idea:
I could make this into a top down puzzle game, where the puzzle-levels are randomly generated. Like Chip's Challenge (ever played that game?), only it would be more based around the stuff in spelunky, however it would be more puzzly as well. What do you think? Have any other ideas for me?  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:53:26 AM by orange08 » Logged
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »

@Kegluneq
Thanks! Smiley

@Audioworm333
I'd appreciate any ideas you might have (aside from a spelunky clone)! Cheesy

Edit: I just got a cool idea. I could make a game that's still Spelunky-based, but not a clone at all.. here's my idea:
I could make this into a top down puzzle game, where the puzzle-levels are randomly generated. Like Chip's Challenge (ever played that game?), only it would be more based around the stuff in spelunky, however it would be more puzzly as well. What do you think? Have any other ideas for me?  Smiley
Multiplayer. Do it.
orange08
Bulb

Indeed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »

@Patrick
I have no experience with programming multiplayer and I don't think GM is a powerful enough program to handle that well enough. (Besides, isn't someone already making an online-spelunky mod?)
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »

@orange08
Chip Challenge

Oh my, they had good puzzles (and games) these days. I so much like to play Bad Toys.

For level generator.
Puzzle level generator sounds nice, but most time it gives very low quality puzzles. And if it based on premade patterns, sooner or later player going to recognize patterns and solve it automatically, like in Rubik's Cube speed challenge.
I would like to see puzzle generator, where puzzle made backwards: from solution to objective, using several intersecting action chains, but it will take a lot of work.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:03:15 PM by q0099 » Logged

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »

@Patrick
I have no experience with programming multiplayer and I don't think GM is a powerful enough program to handle that well enough. (Besides, isn't someone already making an online-spelunky mod?)
Sadly, not any more. Cry
My friend came probably the closest, with the help of people from this forum, but because it meant recoding so much of the game, he gave up.
orange08
Bulb

Indeed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 06:38:03 AM »

@orange08
Chip Challenge

Oh my, they had good puzzles (and games) these days. I so much like to play Bad Toys.

For level generator.
Puzzle level generator sounds nice, but most time it gives very low quality puzzles. And if it based on premade patterns, sooner or later player going to recognize patterns and solve it automatically, like in Rubik's Cube speed challenge.
I would like to see puzzle generator, where puzzle made backwards: from solution to objective, using several intersecting action chains, but it will take a lot of work.

Actually I didn't intend to make it very puzzly... but now that I have made a basic engine for this, I see that a cross between Spelunky and Chip's Challenge isn't a very good idea. I still want to make something with procedurally generated levels, though... any other ideas?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:24:41 AM by orange08 » Logged
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »

@orange08
Ok, I have one idea or rather challenge. Make generator for maps with multiple routes with different difficulty and directions. For example, player will start in the jungle (like second area) and have an option to go down to caves (like first area) or climb up to mountains (like third area), or he could go straight ahead and take the ruins routine (like fourth area) which is more dangerous, but contains more loot. Of course, you'll have to use bigger grid, but not so big as it seems. Like, you could make new jungle levels and spawn exits to different areas, so player could choose from going to next current area level or finding exit to another area.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:31:17 PM by q0099 » Logged

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
orange08
Bulb

Indeed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »

@orange08
Ok, I have one idea or rather challenge. Make generator for maps with multiple routes with different difficulty and directions. For example, player will start in the jungle (like second area) and have an option to go down to caves (like first area) or climb up to mountains (like third area), or he could go straight ahead and take the ruins routine (like fourth area) which is more dangerous, but contains more loot. Of course, you'll have to use bigger grid, but not so big as it seems. Like, you could make new jungle levels and spawn exits to different areas, so player could choose from going to next current area level or finding exit to another area.
That's a nice idea, but I don't want to make something that's THAT similar to Spelunky...
I just got another idea that might be good too... I'll try this out and report back!  Wink
argon vile
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:06:47 PM »

can you tell me what kind of algorithm you used to generate this level? this looks cool!
orange08
Bulb

Indeed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »

can you tell me what kind of algorithm you used to generate this level? this looks cool!

Erm... okay... I'll tell you the basic process.
Okay, I have obj_levelgen, this is the object that starts everything... I also have obj_miniroom (the room can contain 16 of these, (4X4), and each miniroom is something like 128 X 128 pixels... or something). Now obj_level gen picks one of the four top sections to start on. 1, 2, 3, or 4... it creates obj_miniroom there, setting it's type to "Start" (because it is the starting room). Then, obj_levelgen controls obj_miniroom to create another miniroom, either to it's left, or to it's right(but sometimes it won't do that, like if it's at the far right of the room, it will only create another miniroom to it's left). Now when it creates this new miniroom, it either makes it be a "right-left" room (which means there is a path for going from left to right), or a "left-down" room (which means you go left in it, and then you drop through and go down.) Now it does all this stuff all the way to the bottom until it decides to create the "finish" miniroom. After each miniroom is created, it chooses from a set of pre-made room thingies... templates! (just like spelunky).
Now after all this is done, you just make an object to go through the whole area and create random junky minirooms(as long as nothing has been created there yet). And there you have it! A pro-gen'd level! Voila! Amazing, and using so much nooby code!  Lips Sealed
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 04:14:23 AM »

I decided to mess with some procedural generation of my own. Here's what I made:

It starts off with a map full of stone blocks.

First, it picks a starting number between 1 and 15. This many blocks over, it deletes a 2*4 rectangle of blocks, regardless of what they are, and creates a further 0, 1, 2, or 3(where 1 and 2 are most likely) layers of blocks(the grass blocks here) at the sides of the removed rectangle.

Then, it shifts over between 0 and 3 blocks either left or right, goes down one block, and repeats it, removing a 2*4 rectangle of blocks again.

This is repeated 19 times so it reaches the bottom. Of course, there are rules for what happens if the rectangle hits the edge of the screen.
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »

I've been messing with a lot of random level generation (outputting to the minecraft level format) for most of the past month.

I've been using a variant of 3D Perlin noise, with 16 octaves interpolated to form landmasses, and a separate set of 8 octaves used for sea floor/area between changes from sea to land. Perlin noise is really unsuited for attempting to make realistic continents/control the size of them while still having good detail, which is what I've been struggling with. I haven't found any other method that A. is realistic processing-wise and B. wouldn't take months of studying how to model plate tectonics, erosion, and tons of other factors.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: