Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEWS] Welcome to Spelunky World!  (Read 43331 times)
Derek
Mossmouth
Mossy

View Profile Email
« on: September 01, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »

Hey there! Welcome to the new Spelunky website! Methinks it was about time to move the game to its own digs on the web.

Aside from kicking off the new site, I'm pleased to make some very exciting announcements here today. First off, version 1.0 is finally ready! That's right, the game can finally come out of its "beta" status. This version has a lot of bug fixes and some new surprises, so check it out.

Secondly, and this one's a big one - Spelunky is making its way to Xbox Live Arcade in 2010! Yep, and it's going to be much more than a straight port of the PC game - I'm planning on stuffing it with new graphics, audio, and other features for XBLA users.  With all the other great independent games on XBLA or coming to it, I'm hopeful that Spelunky will feel right at home there. I think it's a cool platform and I'm excited about what I'll be able to do to make the game special.

Regarding the inevitable question of whether the XBLA flavor of Spelunky will also be available on PC or any other systems: I don't have any plans for it right now. The original Spelunky doesn't need replacing, in my opinion, and I'll continue to support it as a free title. Not only that, but I'm planning on opening up the source code before the end of the year so that people can modify the game to their heart's content. For now, head over to the Spelunky forums to discuss the game and share levels!

Thanks to everyone who supported the game thus far - I've been overwhelmed by the response and where it's taken the project. As always, please give me your feedback on everything. Stay tuned to this site and my Twitter if you want to be up-to-date. Happy Spelunky-ing!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:38:43 PM by Derek » Logged
ChevyRay
Seedling

It's your birthday party, darling!

happytrash@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »

Great job, Derek! The site looks great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the game fares on XBL.

Congrats, and keep up the awesome work bro Smiley

DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »

Yes, many, many congratulations! And I'm very happy that it's going to be open sourced! SpelunkyTweet will rise again.

And also that there are now dedicated forums. The old TIGSource thread just wasn't cutting it Wink

ChevyRay
Seedling

It's your birthday party, darling!

happytrash@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »

I'm loving the cleanliness of the main site, very easy to navigate and appealing to the eye. I should do a Spelunky fan art to commemorate this day.

The-Imp
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

SO PUMPED FOR THIS, I CAN WASTE HOURS UPON HOURS OF MY LIFE WITH JUST MY XBOX

YOU HAVE MADE ME SO HAPPY

Sorry for all caps, I'm just so fuckin' excited!
Anifanatic
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:07:08 PM »

I'm really excited for this release and very happy for you, I hope things turn out well. I had some questions about what we can expect from the XBLA release. Will there be online functionality? A lot of games will have like trial mode, with a set of levels to beat with a rating on time or something, are there any plans for something like that? What about a scoreboard to share with friends or to compete with other Spelunkers online? Will there be map creating and sharing? Actually I have no idea if that last one is possible. But I'm hopeful Cheesy
Dan CiTi
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:57:40 PM »

I'm really excited for this release and very happy for you, I hope things turn out well. I had some questions about what we can expect from the XBLA release. Will there be online functionality? A lot of games will have like trial mode, with a set of levels to beat with a rating on time or something, are there any plans for something like that? What about a scoreboard to share with friends or to compete with other Spelunkers online? Will there be map creating and sharing? Actually I have no idea if that last one is possible. But I'm hopeful Cheesy
Well, all XBLA games require Leaderboards and 12 achievements that equal to 250 gamerscore. Don't worry about that. I just some HD visuals that still keep the basic look of the original and maybe some other tweaks to make the game work better on a console. I doubt he'll go as far as map creation tool, but it seems he's really excited about this so who knows.
Krow Nandaba
Seedling

deadz837@hotmail.com clumsybigfoot
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 01:12:33 AM »

I cannot wait for the release Derek! Spelunky is easily one of my favorite games of all time, I'm happy that you're finally getting a chance to make some serious change off of it. I can't wait to see what other titles you do in the future!

As for what you add, I couldn't care less. Even if it were the exact same game it'd be an instant purchase for me. Though, I can't get the idea of some sort of Cooperative mode out of my head.
maanto
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 01:50:44 AM »

Great news! This will be an instant buy for myself and probably a few friends too.

I can't wait to read all the subsequent interviews that'll begin to show up all over the indie-web.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:53:53 AM by maanto » Logged
vom
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 02:23:48 AM »

Congratulations, Derek! I'm going to start saving up for a 360 immediately Smiley

Can't believe Spelunky 1.0 is out and I'm stuck at work for the next 8 hours... today is going to drag!
rrrowdy
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 02:29:31 AM »

Congrats Derek! My favourite game so far this year is now competing with Fez for my favourite game of next year!
Derek
Mossmouth
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 02:37:02 AM »

Wowee, yeah, it's nice to get that out in the open.  Thanks, guys! Grin

It's too early to say exactly what's going into Spelunky XBLA, but I think you'll be pretty happy about it!
DanishCow
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 03:03:58 AM »

The Website is cool, it reminds me of C64 days not sure why but it's a nice feeling.

Dearly Regards DanishCow
Gainsworthy
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 05:18:34 AM »

Pretty damn rad Derek. Now I'm going to get my daily Sp'lunky fix in TWO places.

And to think it's not even v1.0!

LOVE,
Gainsworthy

PS: Any chance of TIGging up the emoticons? They're cute, but...
BMcC
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »

Congrats, bro! Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: