Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How you usually die  (Read 20813 times)
CaKsTeR
Shoot

View Profile Email
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »

First off, Spelunky is awesome. Easily the most addictive game I've ever played. Downloaded it a couple days ago and have over 500 deaths (0 Wins Tongue)

Secondly, what way do you usually die? I'm interested, since I seem to die from spiders all the time.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 06:02:04 AM »

By area it would be
1: arrow traps, no contest (though slowly have learned to be cautious)
2: FROGS!!! one way or another, either directly, or trying to avoid them and running into a pit or piranhas or something.
3: Close call but probably UFOs more than anything, they can be unpredictable
4: seriously, that freaking mummy, if unarmed you are dead. I think I once killed him with cultists and cavemen though Grin

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Bood_War
Shoot

Grows gentle (Never go mental)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:21:50 AM »

The absolute, number one reason for me is Shopkeepers! as roughly 97.42% I rob every shopkeeper, even the BM.  Cheesy

Ater that it would be bats, and after that, spiders.

Arsenic Cookies
Nimbus
Unnamed Arena Game
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:25:25 AM »

Oh, I meant to mention this before, sorry. Spiders should only drop when directly above you, though I have seen some strange behaviour occasionally, there is also a limit to the distance they will notice you. So just edge under them then get ready to whip the moment they touch the ground, cause once they do they go wild! I haven't had trouble with any of them since I started doing this.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
jamatthews
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »

Mostly shopkeepers, although I do have this strange ability to land on spikes. I must be magnetic or something.
CaKsTeR
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »

I normally manage to kill the spiders before they bounce away, but when they do I can rarely kill them with my whip.

Shopkeepers, I have little trouble dealing with. Maybe I've just been having a lot of luck with where and how they spawn.
demnos
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:09:55 AM »

I never purposefully rob shopkeepers. I probably have F1ed far more often than getting killed legitimately. Aside from that, frogs or random mobs thrown on top of me in level 16.

If I don't get frograped and make it to area 3 with a compass, I almost never lose.
Anifanatic
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 11:04:49 AM »

Greed.
Greed.
Greed.
Greed because I rob shopkeepers and they slaughter me eventually.
Greed because I should just go, I want to explore before I beat the level!
Greed because I don't need to kill Jaws but, oh the rewards!
CaKsTeR
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »

Jaws is easy with a shotgun  Lips Sealed
Anifanatic
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »

Yeah but a man goes after him with a whip and attitude! I am also a man who is dead.
CaKsTeR
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »

Sure, you may be dead, but you looked cool dying. XD
Delmion
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »

I probably have F1ed far more often than getting killed legitimately.
Yes, yes, absolutely yes.  Gamers who love finding all the nitty-gritty details and secrets in a game (like me) who get handed an easy reset button (like in Spelunky) go suicidal so quickly you'd think there'd be a public service announcement about it.

(Hmm, it is quite appropriate that my first post on this forum be about Spelunky deaths.)

But beyond that, most of my deaths are the instant kind.  Being tossed by a yeti and falling off the stage is a familiar experience.  Also, misjudging UFO explosions used to be a problem, but I've gotten better about that.  The mummies and giant aliens still get me alot when I don't have the right equipment.

Speaking of bosses and equipment . . .

Yeah but a man goes after him with a whip and attitude! I am also a man who is dead.
Dude, Jaws is easy with the whip.  All you have to do is, well, be a gamer who loves finding all the nitty-gritty details and secrets in a game.  The thinking goes like this:

The foe is three squares wide, which is unique among monsters.  Huh, how does that work for combat?  Are all three regions deadly? . . . No, only the head is really solid.  I can swim through the other squares.  If I do that, won't it just turn around and eat me?  . . . No, the thing is three squares wide, which means that the center square is a place of sanctuary.  So, can I get into that square efficiently?  . . . Yes, because the boss is so slow to turn around that, with your speedy character, you can just get above or below it and it stops chasing you for long enough to get in position!  The blood flies . . .

By the way, this strategy is detailed on the wiki.  It's not presented very well, and in fact the thing needs to be rewritten from the ground up to integrate conflicting paragraphs into a single new one that actually says everything a reader needs, just like many other articles, but the last time I pointed this out folks gave me the tired old line that "it would take me less time to fix it than to complain about it" which is obviously untrue given what rewriting means, yes I'm disappointed.

--Delmion
Anifanatic
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »

Dude, Jaws is easy with the whip.  All you have to do is, well, be a gamer who loves finding all the nitty-gritty details and secrets in a game.  The thinking goes like this:

The foe is three squares wide, which is unique among monsters.  Huh, how does that work for combat?  Are all three regions deadly? . . . No, only the head is really solid.  I can swim through the other squares.  If I do that, won't it just turn around and eat me?  . . . No, the thing is three squares wide, which means that the center square is a place of sanctuary.  So, can I get into that square efficiently?  . . . Yes, because the boss is so slow to turn around that, with your speedy character, you can just get above or below it and it stops chasing you for long enough to get in position!  The blood flies . . .

By the way, this strategy is detailed on the wiki.  It's not presented very well, and in fact the thing needs to be rewritten from the ground up to integrate conflicting paragraphs into a single new one that actually says everything a reader needs, just like many other articles, but the last time I pointed this out folks gave me the tired old line that "it would take me less time to fix it than to complain about it" which is obviously untrue given what rewriting means, yes I'm disappointed.

--Delmion
=/ way to ruin my joke. *sobs*
The-Imp
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »

Death.

I kid I kid, mostly small traps, arrow shooters, spikes, etc. etc..
Hardboiled Lobster
Shoot

So classy it hurts.

gentlemenlobster@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 07:53:51 PM »

Rage.

I know I shouldn't let it get to me but if I do badly a few dozen times too many I'll blow myself up a few dozen times more to blow off some steam. Besides that it's from shotgun blasts and generally being careless. I still hate the frogs and spiders more than anything but frogs even more.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: