Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: im making spelunky 2!  (Read 22030 times)
spelunky2dev
Seedling

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:20:25 AM »

first of all i want to say thanks to derek for making a really fun game. i couldnt be doing this without him and i wont try to pretend anything else.

that said i have exciting news: im the lead developer for a new indie game being developed for pc: spelunky 2! we all love the original so i thought it was time to update it and turn it into a real game!

i really want to stay true to the key principles of spelunky 1 but i also want to take it further. so stuff like the rope will stay there but be made bigger/better like super ropes. bombs will be more realistic, etc. also he never got to make the game have good graphics so im gonna try to interpret what he was goin for but presentable. itll be 3D of course and i really want to push what the pc can do bc it doesnt get enough attention today. WATCH OUT SLOW COMPUTERS  Cheesy Cheesy

lots of blood/gore in the original but if ur like me u didnt get enough Cheesy so thats going to be taken care of trust me lol. i never got too far so i didnt see if u got any more of em, but honestly what i played there was only a couple guns. wouldnt it be cool to shoot a rocket and blow up the walls? or a turret or something? definitely want input on what the default loadout/upgrades should be.

TONS of new monsters, thinking about takin the skeliton guys and running with it. my friend who is the lead artist designer on the project suggested zombies and were goin with that. i never liked snakes and dumb stuff like frogs, so this will be much darker, much more scary. think l4d with the smoker/hunter stuff that can jump around or grab you.

i hate how the old game didnt have a story and the character was just a guy, so im hiring a voice over artist to take care of that and hell be MUCH MORE fleshed out in this one. the girls name is Samantha and ull find out more about her. also rescuing her over and over again is dumb/doesnt make sense so the whole game will be about chasing down her killer. one of the flaws of the old one is it has load sections so well take care of that (open world, etc, maybe w a vehicle?).

ummm lets see. oh right, it'll only be 10 bucks at launch and if it sells as well as we think it will thatll go down to 5 soon after. but def want to hear if you guys think we could get away with 15 once u see a video. we havent really started yet so thatll be a little while, but ill post a link to our dev blog once we get it up so u guys can check that instead of going to this old site.

i think thats it! any feedback/suggestions appreciate etc etc etc. were tryin to come up with a subtitle (spelunky 2: from the deep etc), so if u have any ideas for that post em here.

thanks for reading and i love our fans!

EDIT: mods could you sticky this for me please?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:29:17 AM by spelunky2dev » Logged
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »

Um...for starters, there are no mods here, let alone anyone who could sticky this for you.

Second, this doesn't sound very well thought out.  How can you plan to make a decent sequel to Spelunky when you

never got too far

Really, I don't want to curb your enthusiasm or anything, but this sounds like an overly-ambitious project that would turn Spelunky into something that's very far removed from the original.  Do you have any experience in game making at all?  Have you looked at Spelunky's source code or attempted to modify it in any way?

Before you get everyone hyped up about it, I'd suggest you find out more about what exactly you're getting into.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:54:30 PM »

If English is your first language, you will fail.  Epically.

If you try and sell this, Derek('s law people) will eat you.

If you try and do this, it will be so far from the original Spelunky it would hardly be a sequal.

And when I ascend to modhood If a global mod gets make, they won't sticky this.

Why not just make your own game?  Just say it was inspired by Spelunky.  Don't make an unoffical sequal that mocks the original.
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

OH FUCK WAIT THIS IS A BLOODY TROLL HOW COULD I MISS THAT!

3D graphics?
Realism?
Open World?
Terrible English?

This is obviously a troll.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:11:26 PM »

i think this duncebot might have been attempting to be serious.
LET'S GET DEREK'S LAW PEOPLE ON HIM.
spelunky2dev
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 12:37:35 AM »

hey guys! im glad to see our project is causing some healthy debate bc ALL GOOD PRODUCTS DO! im not offended at all what some people are sayin and it tells me that we have an exciting, dynamic project on our hands. i just hope they remember that this is a good day for all of us! well be getting more spelunky!

ok so a few of you mentioned derek's lawyers. this is the only time i will address this but please listen to me well - spelunky was a free game so i can take it and make some more. its like if somebody planted a bunch of apple trees on public property and i ate some. no harm no fowl and hes not doin anything w it anyway.

and yes, OF COURSE we have the experience to pull this off! look what derek did and hes not even an artist! he came up with a GREAT idea and did an AMAZING proof of concept for us. all by himself! its time for us to take over but again we cant be grateful enough to him for his work.

ok guys time for me to get to work! btw any of u come up w a subtitle yet?

EDIT: heh "spelunky 2: bitches 'n gold" Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:05:11 AM by spelunky2dev » Logged
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:40:34 AM »

Show me a video and I'll believe you. I'm skeptical.
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 01:53:26 AM »

Grin
Very funny, OP, whoever you are.

hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 04:12:12 AM »

OBVIOUS TROLL IS OBVIOUS!

Furthermore, copyright law does not work that way.  You cannot sell a work based on some elses copyright.  If you do, you get eaten.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 05:51:26 AM »

OBVIOUS TROLL IS OBVIOUS!
Yeah, there's not much else to say.  I could make a point about Spelunky XBLA being the non-free version, but this really is just trolling.

Cool story bro.

(everyone ignore this guy)

Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 09:44:27 AM »

i agree show us a video.
like now.
or some decent screenshots showing how you're making it and parts of what it will be/look like/etc.
and yeah, it's still illegal pal.
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »

OBIVIOS TROLL IS OBVIOUS!

so stop replying.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »

Wait..."obivios"? Grin

Xama_
Bean

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »

HEYYYYY!!!!! WTF GWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT COPYRIGHT!!!!!
Derek filed a copyright on Spelunky! It is therefore prohibited to copy Spelunky to arrive at the commercial end!
GWAAAAA!!! DEMON, THE BURN IS FOR YOU!!! GWAAAAA!!!!!
Amicaly, Electron.

Han.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »

Actually, "Spelunky" is a registered trademark, so yes, you could get sued over calling your game "Spelunky 2" without first talking to Derek about it. (Also, he actually is a pretty decent artist, please don't be one of those people who mistake low-rest pixel-art graphics for "bad art." Drawing on such a small scale is actually very difficult)

I suggest you follow hyperme's advice and merely say you're game is inspired by spelunky.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: