Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eternal Daughter should be patched, polished, and re-released  (Read 7765 times)
Soli
Seedling

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »

Hey firstly, I'm new here, the reason I made an account is because I really enjoyed Derek Yu's games: Aquaria, Spelunky, and especially Eternal Daughter made way back in the day.  I recently started re-playing it, but it's really difficult with the screen being so small unless I change the resolution of my computer.  Secondly my controller isn't compatible, I have to use joytokey, which isn't really a big deal I guess, but it would be nice to be able to just plug it in and have it work for the game.  Third, just a few little glitches here and there, for example when the music loops in certain locations the game freezes for a few milliseconds.  Also you could make the game slightly less difficult, especially in the early goings of the game. 

I realize none of this will probably ever happen, it was just something I was thinking about when I started the game back up the other day.  The game is really amazing and I would just love to see a patched up version that works without having to screw with the resolution yourself ya know?  For today's computers.
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:30:24 PM »

You never know, the community might be up to making a rerelease to it since they love modding spelunky (even if it seems that most of the people here dont know anything about programming outside of spelunky lol)

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Soli
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »

Heh, yeah, someone should get on that.  I know absolutely nothing about making or modding games, but I sure do enjoy playing them!  I am quite fond of this one, mostly because it was one of the first indie games I played, I still remember really anticipating it's release way back then, weird it was like 9 years ago already.
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »

Yeah, maybe.
I'm a little busy with college, but I've got a handle on it atm, and would like to help out on this, since I rather enjoyed ED.

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Soli
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »

That would be pretty awesome if you could work on it at your own leisure.  I'm still playing it, currently about an hour and a half in (though I've probably played at least double that or more.) and already I can think of a good couple things that could be fixed up:

-The resolution for starters, it doesn't have to be full screen, in fact I almost prefer windowed, but it's just so tiny on my computer unless I change the resolution myself, which is kind of a pain.

-The font/text.  I don't know why he did what he did with the font, I never could find it online.  Not for free anyways, and I'm not about to pay for it.  Either include the correct font with the game, or switch it out completely, just get a decent font that fits completely in the text boxes.

-Better controller support.  As I mentioned I couldn't get my controller to work without using joytokey.  Also the default keys are ridiculous, Shift and Control keys really?  Switch it up to Z and X like normal games, that way your not constantly turning on sticky keys or whatever.

-Slightly easier/more save points. Make sure it's a perfect combination of both, I like a challenge and doing too much of both may make the game too easy.  Some of the enemies do a bit too much damage in my opinion so I'd tone that down a smidge, maybe not for all enemies, but a number of them.  And I think the cave area where you get the double jump, could use another save point somewhere?

-Hume...  perhaps only so many bubbles on the screen at once, like 3 or 4?  Or time the bubbles to pop after so long on screen, and the bubbles themselves probably shouldn't do 3 damage.  He should be toned down a tad, he is a pretty early boss, 30 - 50 minutes in about?  Probably shouldn't be as difficult as he is

-Random glitches, when the music loops you get a half second or so freeze.  Also, I was once attacked by a hermit crab and the attack sound looped and the game froze up, I remember it locked up on me once against Hume as well, though I can't remember why... 

I may find more as I keep playing, just things to consider if you are thinking about polishing the game up. 
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »

As far as difficulty goes, I'd probably suggest something similar to what IWBTG has, where easier difficulty levels have more save points.

Soli
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:55:57 PM »

I can think of maybe 2 enemies off hand that should maybe do 1 health bar less damage:  The Hume bubbles, and the flying fruit that the Mages cast.  Both of those do 3 health bars of damage and there can get to be a lot of them on the screen at once, sometimes to a point where they are nearly impossible to avoid.  That or, as I mentioned in my previous post, maybe make it so there can only be so many of them on the screen at once.

I'm currently in the Slime Cave, and let me tell you, those flying tomatos were a nuisance to say the least.  I could see having a couple more save locations as well, and you almost make it sound like to want to select difficulties, which would be awesome.  I honestly don't know what would work best, I'm just throwing things out there as I'm playing the game ya know?
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »

Nine years! Nine years this game's been out. And people are seriously still kvetching about Hume?? If you cannot beat Hume and his slow-moving, easily-dispatched bubbles, you are in for an extremely sobering the-entire-remainder-of-ED.

Back in the day, we'd get maybe a dozen people a month registering for the Blackeye forums specifically to whine about Hume being too hard, and you know what almost inevitably happened to those people? We banned them. We banned the hell out of them. We banned their pets. I just started replaying ED myself, after an absence of some...four years, maybe? And Hume folded like wet paper because he is pretty straightforward to beat. nnnnnnghhh
Soli
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »

So you've come here to gloat about how you've managed to beat a normally pretty difficult boss without any problems.  That's super awesome, high five! 

I did manage to beat Hume, I was just saying if the game were ever remade, maybe those bubbles shouldn't do quite so much damage, you only have 6-7 life bars at that point, they do 3 bars of damage a hit.  That's all I was saying, you don't have to be such an ass about it, jeez.
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »

I tried this game once.  But it committed the unforgivible sin of unchagable controls, which is a pretty big deal when the two main keys are arranged in a way that's fairly hard to use.

Therefore, it had to be not played.  Even IWBTG let you change the controls.
Soli
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »

Have you tried JoyToKey?  Granted you have to have a controller of some sorts, if you do it comes in really handy.  I agree though, the default keyboard controls are pretty silly.
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:29:29 PM »

As far as difficulty goes, I'd probably suggest something similar to what IWBTG has, where easier difficulty levels have more save points.

dont only do that though, i like the idea of games being harder in all aspects when you raise a difficulty, harder rooms and more damage and less saves and yea

though i also love the idea of a plethora of save spots combined with an ungodly difficulty, thats what i try to do in knytt, i give you super precise rooms to maneuver, but a lot of saves so that you can easily reset the challenge without losing your place, to take the frustration out of the challenge

also dont mind toom, hes a really sarcastic person, thats what i like about him though

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 11:38:20 PM »

So you've come here to gloat about how you've managed to beat a normally pretty difficult boss without any problems.  That's super awesome, high five!
He, that's just Toom, don't take it personal.  Tongue

I tried this game once.  But it committed the unforgivible sin of unchagable controls, which is a pretty big deal when the two main keys are arranged in a way that's fairly hard to use.
Ever played a nine-player game on a single keyboard?
One get's* used to funky controls.

*Just for you, Toom.   Grin

Soli
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »

Haven't been able to play in a few days due to work.  I managed to get to the Tower that the Griffin flies you to, don't remember the names of the tower or the Griffin for that matter. 

Something that bothered me a bit about King Grodol though, you can't hit him and his worms in the same strike, only one or the other.  You could be swinging for a worm, hit him instead, but the worm will get you.  Maybe it's just me I dunno, but I thought it'd be a little less frustrating if you could hit both a worm and him in the same swing and not just one or the other cause like I said earlier, you could be swinging for one and actually hit the other and that can get you all screwed up.

I still beat him though after a couple attempts, he wasn't too too bad, kinda tricky, but I managed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: