Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic Signs 2.2.3  (Read 57601 times)
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »

Oh lmao!!!

will2asher
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »

2 little things:
- I appreciate the magicsignsresources file included.  Could you add a list of object / monster variables to this file?  The Magic Signs.rtf tells how to change object variables, but it helps to know what the variable names are.

- Now that I have the correct version of Editor plus, the levels with magic signs are working fine, but I still get a bunch of error messages whenever I start the game up. It says:
"ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object oMusic:

Error defining an external function."
It gives that same error message a bunch of times and then a different one at the end (which I never read because I'm pressing ignore over and over so I always skip past it).  It's only a minor annoyance, but it might let you know of something not quite right in the mod.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 02:26:02 AM »

- Now that I have the correct version of Editor plus, the levels with magic signs are working fine, but I still get a bunch of error messages whenever I start the game up. It says:
"ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object oMusic:

Error defining an external function."
It gives that same error message a bunch of times and then a different one at the end (which I never read because I'm pressing ignore over and over so I always skip past it).  It's only a minor annoyance, but it might let you know of something not quite right in the mod.
Have you placed Editor Plus in the original nonmodded version's folder?

It requires the DLL and the music that's there.

Otherwise, the game would throw errors

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 05:10:24 AM »

- I appreciate the magicsignsresources file included.  Could you add a list of object / monster variables to this file?  The Magic Signs.rtf tells how to change object variables, but it helps to know what the variable names are.

What you're asking would involve a lot of time and tedious work. Download the free version of Game Maker and look at the object variables from there.

Here's a link to Game Maker 8.0 Lite. It's not supported officially anymore, so it's hosted on another (trustworthy) site: http://www.auntiepixelante.com/?p=1240

Or use GM 8.1 Lite: http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/windows

Some things to know:
- Spelunky source won't compile/run in the free version of GM
- You might want to turn on 'advanced mode' from the file menu
- Finding variables easily: double-click an object to open its properties; in the 'events' pane click the Create event; in the action pane to the right, double-click any 'execute a piece of code' to view the code. Generally all the important variables are defined there.
- On left side of the properties window, check if an object is listed beside 'Parent'. This current object will inherit any variables from that parent object (in most cases). All the important parent objects are in the 'Basis' objects folder.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:13:27 AM by Moloch » Logged

Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 05:19:06 AM »

Ooh, hadn't noticed Anna Anthropy was hosting good ol' 8.0! Cheesy

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
will2asher
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »

What you're asking would involve a lot of time and tedious work. Download the free version of Game Maker and look at the object variables from there.
Here's a link to Game Maker 8.0 Lite...
I didn't think that would be a lot of trouble, but I've never used game maker.  I guess I'll get it so I can find the variables. thanks
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 09:44:55 AM »

The magic signs instructions do include a table of some common object variables, along with shorthand for them, near the end. But I fully agree that it would be nice to have a more complete list. But like other people said, the information isn't all in one place so it's kind of pain to collect.
will2asher
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »

Have you placed Editor Plus in the original nonmodded version's folder?

It requires the DLL and the music that's there.

Otherwise, the game would throw errors
that made the error messages go away, thanks
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »

New version, 2.1.2, see first post for link.

Changes:
Fixed count condition to deal with the frozen zone.
Added new condition option, Z, which prevents the sign itself from freezing.
Changed u. shorthand from oCharacter to oPlayer1 and finally put it in the documentation.
Re-wrote parts of the documentation to assume you will be using the "better sign editor".
Added a half-assed list of local variables to magicsignsresources.txt.

Note for modders: oMsgSign now has an Alarm 3 event. Like all the other events it just points to scrMagicSigns.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »

Guys, I want to create a white block... But... I am not good with magics signs.

Can you help me ?
I don't think that's possible, the color changing feature can only make things darker, not lighter. It's like putting a colored filter in front of the sprite.

But if you tell me more specifically what you want this for, perhaps I can help you come up with an alternate idea.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:38:04 PM by Urza » Logged
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »

I don't think that's possible, the color changing feature can only make things darker, not lighter. It's like putting a colored filter in front of the sprite.

^This.

I tried something. It's not pretty: whiteblock.lvl

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »

OMG! What did you do?

Heh heh heh, no I mostly understand. Actually I do have an idea, but I don't have time to test it right now. If you combined pure white blocks like that with normal blocks blended with another color to create gray, then tweaked the image_alpha just right... you might get something that looked like a passable white block.

Edit: Nah, still looks like crap.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:02:37 PM by Urza » Logged
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 07:52:40 PM »

Yeah. I was thinking of having some smaller white sprites (non solid) of various scales and varied alpha to soften the edges, perhaps generated randomly within range of the other blocks. For whatever reason the level made me think back to the Air Man stage from Mega Man 2.
Your halloween levels gave me a lot of insight into random variation with macros...whether decorative or functional.

will2asher
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 01:02:49 AM »

I have edited the magic signs resources file by sorting the objects into categories and making notes by several things.  hopefully, this will be useful for people.

These are the categories I sorted the objects into:
- monsters
- held items
- treasure and equipped items
- traps (and some other stuff which can harm the PC)
- solids
- backgrounds (which is further sorted into: frills, 1-grid, foreground, big, verybig)
- Important Other (like entrances, exits, ladders, and water)
- animations / minor other (most of which wouldn't be useful in a custom level)
       and a section for:
- Doesn't seem to work / do anything OR stuff to never use in custom level OR stuff that I just didn't test enough to find out how it works...

I'm trying to share my modified magicsignsresources.txt, but I can't attach the text file to this message...  How can I share this?
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 07:18:52 AM »

http://pastebin.com
http://ge.tt
http://www.mediafire.com
http://www.dropbox.com

etc.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: