Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Magic Signs 2.2.3  (Read 58476 times)
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:49:06 PM »

Another new feature. Colored backgrounds! You can now add $color to your command when placing a tile. Additionally, a new directive, T, has been added specifically for coloring the decorative bits on blocks. Similar to W, which removes them, T$color will set their blend mode. For technical reasons, will color up to two frills in that space. If more exist (which would be unusual) they will not be changed.

Overview:

This project started as a way to add new objects to Spelunky without worrying about the limited number of symbols left for use in the .lvl file. Instead of using a symbol, you could place a standard sign and put the name of the new object on the sign. Sure it's not quite is easy as having a normal tile in the editor, but it's better than nothing.

However... it mutated into something frighteningly close to a full scripting language.

DOWNLOAD
(Includes Source and demo levels.)

The following mods include Magic Signs, but not the newest version:
Spelunky Editor Plus
Yet Another Spelunky
TLS+Magic Signs (No longer maintained.)

P.S. The old thread is now obsolete since I unfortunately lost that account during the spam purge.

Version 2.2.3 Adds T directive, and other colored tile support.
Version 2.2.2 Adds "init" super command.
Version 2.2.1 Adds "random" super command.
Version 2.2 Adds "banner" super command, "spawn" super command, "B" directive, $= operator and variable conversion.
Version 2.1.2 fixes the "C" condition option, and adds a new "AntiFreeze" condition option (Z), and updates the documentation.
Version 2.1.1 fixes the "B" condition option, an obscure bug with macros, and adds one new feature, the "*c" (child) macro which automatically refers to the most recent object created by the active sign.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:11:37 PM by Urza » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »

Bump for update.
Straucher
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »

I have a few...inquiries...

~How would I go about changing the frills on a tile to match the color of the tile?

~I'm able to modify the ospiderhang and ogiantspiderhang sprites, but not their counterparts ospider and ogiantspider.

~Where can I find a list of all the object variables?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:58:29 PM by Straucher » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »

I have a few...inquiries...

~How would I go about changing the frills on a tile to match the color of the tile?
I don't think that's possible currently. Decorations like those (technically, and confusingly, called Tiles) require a separate set of commands from normal objects, and I only put in the basics.
~I'm able to modify the ospiderhang and ogiantspiderhang sprites, but not their counterparts ospider and ogiantspider.
Huh. Tricky one. I'm pretty rusty myself at this point, but I think you could set up a conditional sign to wait for the oSpiderHang to be destroyed and then apply the correct changes to the newly created oSpider.
~Where can I find a list of all the object variables?
I don't think anyone has compiled a list, so basically you'd have to refer the the Spelunky source code itself, which unfortunately means you'd need Game Maker too.

I'm glad someone is still playing with this, sorry I couldn't be more help.
RedbatNicholas
Shoot

Hello! This is what I look like!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »

Hello! I love MS, but I wanna know how to do a lot of things with it. I also have some questions:
1. How do I set how much damage enemies do?
2. Do you plan on working on this mod anymore?
3. You are awesome for making this mod!  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:39:22 PM by RedbatNicholas » Logged

I am a bat, I am red, And I am as strong as a god! You shall worship me!
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

Hello! I love MS, but I wanna know how to do a lot of things with it. I also have some questions:

The mod is finished afaik (as far as I know) Tell your friends!!! I think setting an enemies damage is in the tutorial but I could be wrong

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 10:07:51 AM »

1. Enemies are hard coded to do 1 heart of damage when the player touches them, but you could likely make a conditional sign that would follow/overlap an enemy (with the L option), which could do additional damage to the player.

2. I don't think ManaUser/Urza has any more plans for the mod. He hasn't been active for a while, but you never know.

3. He is.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »

I havnt used magic signs :/

halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »

I havnt used magic signs :/
Me either! Don't feel bad.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »

So yeah, I consider it pretty much complete.

I had a vague idea of making another mod with lots of experimental new tiles, like the wooden spikes, Magic Signs being delivery system for all that. But I just never got around to it and probably won't at this point, and if it did happen it would really be a separate mod.
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »

I can always sprite some new stuff for you
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »

Come on! Do it!!!

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »

So, has anybody found any bugs in Magic Signs lately? I realize with something that crazy it's not always easy to know what is a bug at what isn't. But if you found anything more strange than usual, let me know. I found one or two things myself, and I figured it would be best to take care of anything else at the same time.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 03:27:23 PM »

Although I have not used this mod much I haven't found any bugs. Can you release the src?

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »

Can you release the src?
I did about two years ago. See the first post.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: