Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (v1.1) Bizarre shopkeeper behavior  (Read 2856 times)
Grolleter
Seedling

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »

(Possible spoilers ahead for those who aren't familiar with the black market.)

While wearing the spiked shoes in the black market, I jumped on a caveman's head.

He flew over and landed directly on a nearby shopkeeper (the one on the bottom row other than the gambling parlor), injuring the shopkeeper.

The shopkeeper interpreted this as an attack and proceeded to murder me with his shotgun. Fortunately, I had already purchased the ankh, so I got revived at the entrance.

The shopkeepers on the top row hadn't seen anything; they behaved as though nothing had happened (I was able to purchase a bomb box normally).

The shopkeepers in the middle row apparently had been watching and decided that the attack on me was unprovoked, so they decided to give me free merchandise as compensation. I picked up a shotgun, a pair of spectacles, and some ropes without having to pay and without provoking any further hostility.

I'm not sure how the gambling parlor guy would have behaved; I got killed again while trying to kill the hostile shopkeeper in an effort to find out how the others would react to this.
ipwnu1337
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »

I guess you're just misinterpreting the shopkeeper mechanics.

If you attack a shopkeeper, or cause them damage by any means, even indirectly, they will become hostile.
Though I'm not sure how this works with more than one shopkeeper, I guess that the shopkeeps on your screen will also turn hostile if they are in a certain range of the crime occuring?

The reason there was free merchandise was not for compensation, it was the shopkeepers running out of the store in pursuit of you and leaving the merchandise takeable. (This happens whenever you provoke a shopkeeper, so it lets you take his stuff)

I haven't played spelunky in quite a while, but I can affirm that what you saw was probably a perfectly normal occurence.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »

Yeah, there are all kinds of bizarre things that happen in the Black Market because of all the shopkeepers.  It all depends on how it was the shopkeeper became enraged.

When a shopkeeper is angered, it sets the value of all items to zero (since they're no longer for sale because he's angered).  In levels with just one shop, this is fine, but in the Black Market, no distinction is made between what items belong to which shopkeeper, so if one guy gets mad, all the items around him will become free, regardless of the shop they're in.

There are some things you do that make all shopkeepers angry, such as stealing from or murdering one.  But other things (hurting a shopkeeper, feeding one to a ManTrap) only affect the shopkeeper that was harmed.  You can actually use this to effectively raid the black market if you anger the right shopkeeper in the right spot.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:50:50 PM »

Hehe, I had almost the exact same thing happen to me. In fact, I got it on film Cheesy

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: