Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky mod request: No instant death  (Read 5929 times)
Notrace
Seedling

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:41:51 AM »

Hello there! I recently started playing Spelunky and am totally loving it. I do find it a bit frustrating at times though, and would like to have the option to turn of instant death. To me it makes more sense that traps and various enemies would diminish your health by one or two at a time, but not have things which outright kill you instantly.

I don't know how to make mods, but if someone would like to do one with this one change I'd be forever in your debt. What I'm looking for is simply that all things that currently kill you instantly, instead "cost" 1 health, including traps, enemies, falling from high altitudes et c.

If not, I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction regarding how to make mods. I wouldn't mind making my own mod, but I have no idea where to start.

Much obliged.

Thank you,
N
ptmc2112
Bulb

ptmc2112@hotmail.com ptmc2112
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »

Yay, a new person that isn't a bot! (been having problems with spambots recently...)
Go over here and Introduce yourself!

Here is where you can get help making mods:
Game Maker Help Thread!

Notrace
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »

Yeah! I finally tricked someone into believing I'm not a bot!

Daaaaisy, daaaaisy.
ManaUser
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:06:40 AM »

Interesting idea, I can see the appeal. I also see a couple possible snags though. Some things would be easy to change, for instance spikes and falling damage. But some others not, e.g. being crushed by a solid object. If you don't die, what happens? Lava could be tricky too.

Also you say things these things should do only one damage, so what about things that currently do two or more? It would be kind of weird if it ended up that arrow traps were deadlier than smash traps.

Also, technically, less things cause instant death than you probably think. Some things like shotgun blasts and even spear traps, just do really, really high damage. But they are survivable if you've had your health boosted alot.

Things that hop are evil.
Wonkyth
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »

Also, technically, less things cause instant death than you probably think. Some things like shotgun blasts and even spear traps, just do really, really high damage. But they are survivable if you've had your health boosted alot.
Point...?

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Notrace
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »

I'm thinking mostly spikes and falling damage, really, and also lower the damage from arrow traps and such. Oh, it'd also be nice if ricocheting or falling arrows didn't kill you either. I guess there would be some instances where it'd be ok to to be killed outright, like by rolling boulders and such. But right now it's just way too easy to die because you happened to jump one pixel too far and are thrown right into spikes that were out of screen and out of view.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that you die often and have to start over, it's got a nice Nethack / Dwarf Fortress quality to it, but it's just a bit too random at the moment. You never get a sense of evolving the character, because no matter how good you get or how good equipment you've gathered, one misjump and you have to start over from scratch. To me it would make more sense to have those things drain health from you, as you don't have much of it anyway and there's almost no way of replenishing it.

That's my thoughts on the matter at least. For the record though, I've ragequit twice in a row now, only to think "hmm, maybe I'll just play one more level" ten minutes later.

EDIT: Oh, also it would be nice if the shopkeeper didn't freak out and murder you because you discovered that an item was too expensive for you and you put it back down. There are too many coinflip situations like this.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:52:43 PM by Notrace » Logged
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:57:32 AM »

Well, the shopkeeper doesn't shoot you for picking up and putting down merchandise.  Are you ducking when you drop the item, or just tossing it out of your hands?  Because if you throw it and it bumps the shopkeeper, he'll start shooting.

Also, long falls aren't fatal.  They do one damage if the distance is short, two if it's long, and 10 if it's really really long (like, tip top of the level to the very bottom).  While I agree it is very easy to die and also very frustrating, I also find it quite fair.  It's supposed to discourage recklessness.  Most of the time I get killed by arrows or spikes because I'm running around like a nutcase and not looking far enough ahead.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:59:19 AM »

It's not the character that evolves, it's your play style, which is very much along the lines of Roguelikes and DF. And it's easy not to piss off shoppy if you turn around and drop the item away from him, you're probably hitting him with it.

On the lines of smash traps and such, you (maker of the mod I mean) could add a few seconds of invincibility after being hit as I believe happens with most other attacks. It should give you an opportunity to get out of the way before it comes at you again. Mantrap might be more of a hurdle though, I believe he works in a special way.

PS, Hali ninja'd me, I'm not changing it Angry

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Kegluneq
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 04:10:09 AM »

One of the strongest points of this game is that it's going to take you weeks, even months to beat it. But you get just a little bit farther every time because there are very few situations where a death wasn't out of your control. (In fact, the only ones I can think of now are magma men, and frogs to a lesser degree)

Every time you die, it's either 'cause you made a stupid mistake, or you've encountered something relatively new and haven't yet learned how to handle it. Every time you play, you get a better and better feel for the controls, like how far you can jump, or how fast you run.

It's a learning process. I'm not saying that the no insta-death mod is a bad idea, there are already a decent number of "make it easier" mods, I'm just saying that you shouldn't be too quick to call the game too hard. Of the last 10 runs, how many times did you think "I shouldn't have done that" as opposed to "This monster/trap is too imbalanced/overpowered"?

Also, falls are rarely ever harmful, especially not fatal. Be sure to ledge flip and look down before you jump!

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 05:52:41 AM »

five posts of "COWBOY UP"
Wonkyth
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »

Lol!

I consider myself to be a reasonable player, in that I complete the game at least once for every hundred or so play-throughs, but I see no problem with a mod that makes it easier.
Perhaps I like the idea for different reasons to Mr. Traceless, but if making the game a little easier makes it more accessable to newer players, so be it!

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
nighthawk
Shoot

Let the good times roll....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »

As far as insta-death goes, we might also want to consider logic for those who feel like the game should be realistic. Would you REALLY surive that shotgun blast to the face? Would you feel fine after being impaled by a field of spikes? Probably not. HOWEVER. I have nothing against a mod that makes Spelunky easier, but we must not forget that a true victory can only be attained in the real Spelunky.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: