Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky, On iPod touch/Phone/Pad ?  (Read 17516 times)
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:48:05 AM »

Okay, So, I was thinking about it, anf I was wondering, if I bought the PRO version of game maker, Could I make  Spelunky mod that could be an App for An iPod Touch or something?
Because When I opened Game Maker, one of the updates was about a game put in the App Store that was made on Gamer maker.

All I THINK I would have to do is mess with the code to make it move with the gyro, (for left and right) and I'd probably make it so there is a button near your left hand (or right, if you set it as such) for action/jump/etc.

Who thinks it'll work and would help me out once I get the Pro version of Game Maker?

P.S. Would this violate the copyright if I get it in the App store somehow, and make it Free? (I'd contact Derek First, But I'm just wondering beforehand)
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:51:07 AM »

All I heard was GAME MAKER AND APPLE NOW COMPATIBLE WHAT IS THIS

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:53:32 AM »

Open Game Maker. In the Updates thing that comes up right when you open it, it says something about like Mach II Skydiving or something. Check it outttttt.

EDIT: there's another new one now.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:57:32 AM by SparkleDevon » Logged
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:05:22 PM »

Oh lord, Spelunky with gyro controls? It's hard enough as it is!
But yes, this would be great if it was ported to the iPhone. Of course, you wouldn't be allowed to charge people for it as that would be copyright infringement (but Derek would!). And I'm sure you still have to ask him first.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »

I rather port it to the ds, but it would be intersting.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »

yeah, I'll check it out later, after I get done with Metal(which sorry Mars, I haven't worked on for like 5 days. I'll do some tonight.) and when I get Pro, I'll try and figure out how to make it so it supports gyro Cheesy

... and yeah, I want a DS port too, but I think we would need to get nintendo to put it up for DSiWare, because the third party blank DS cards/ DS card writers are hard to find, and not exactly that cheap. (Plus I can't buy anything on the internet so yeah.) (Plus Plus, I remember the company that made them was sued. so I don't know if you can get them at all anymore)
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »

but dont dses take normal flash cards?

THAR YU GO

also i like how devon just used "plus" the same way i use "also"

"Also this
also also that"

"plus this
plus plus that"

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »

xD well I just remember reading it ages ago on one of the video game sites i go on xD
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »

Oh lord, Spelunky with gyro controls? It's hard enough as it is!
Yeah, definitely, don't do that.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »

Toom... you seem to believe that most things in the universe are doomed to suck. Just sayin'.

and otherwise, how would you control it? It would suck if you have to hold keys to do it. Also, you neglected to mention he still thought it was a good idea. If you don't like it, don't waste your money/time/any other thing you would waste on it. Alright? Makes sense to me o.o

Sorry. didn't mean to offend if I did. Just be positive:3
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »

On screen buttons would make the most sense. Actually, I think the GM games being developed for istuff are probably ones that use the mouse a lot or exclusively. The touch screen simulating a mouse pointer and all. Then again, my phone is over 5 years old so.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 01:51:26 PM »

Toom... you seem to believe that most things in the universe are doomed to suck. Just sayin'.

and otherwise, how would you control it? It would suck if you have to hold keys to do it. Also, you neglected to mention he still thought it was a good idea. If you don't like it, don't waste your money/time/any other thing you would waste on it. Alright? Makes sense to me o.o

Sorry. didn't mean to offend if I did. Just be positive:3
Look, here's the thing about gyro controls, right? You have to tilt the phone. This means you have to tilt the screen. Having the viewing device moving around as a function of the control scheme is not a good thing for a game that can kill you as quickly, and requires such precise control, as Spelunky. I am generally a positive person; I do, however, tend to think ideas that are clearly very bad are doomed to suck. This is being positive. Nobody gets better at anything without being told when they're doing something wrong.

On-screen controls would definitely work better; unless you want to radically rethink the gameplay, you should be aiming to reproduce the feel of the extant control system as closely as possible. Respective directional buttons in the bottom-left and -right hand corners would allow for a grip comparable to a gamepad; semi-gestural controls, like flicking a thumb upwards to jump, can help eliminate the need for a full keyboard. Bombs and ropes selectable from sensitively-placed touchscreen icons, that sort of thing. Think about how the game works and how to adapt it to the device you're porting it to; don't think about all the cool shit the device can do and try to adapt those to Spelunky.

I do think an iPhone version of Spelunky has the potential to be pretty excellent, and potentially a nontrivial moneyspinner if the XBLA version does well. I don't think you're going to do it; I'm not sure you should do it without Derek's say-so, other than as a hobby project or a way to teach yourself GameMaker (in which case you're certainly better off making your own games until you're confident in your abilities).

"If you don't like it, ignore it" is about the lamest cop-out I-don't-wanna-be-critiqued deflection approach going. If your ideas, games, art, whatever, aren't up to much, you absolutely need to know, in order that you might improve. You need to hear dissenting opinions, and you will almost always learn the most from what people don't like about your output. I'm not saying you have to conform to any suggestions or criticisms, but you need to hear them, and learn to separate yourself from the material.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 03:02:13 PM »

Well what it Would have, if i ever get around to trying to make it, would be an options screen, where you can select your method of controls. (All on-screen/gyro+on-screen/others not yet thought of.)

And yeah, it would be hard, but really it wouldn't be that bad. they would be slight movements. not like a 90% turn.

And yeah, sorry, I was upset when I said that, I know criticism leads to the best ideas. and stuff. So thanks. Sorry for being like rude and poop. /:
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »

Hmm... Gesture controls?
Two "joysticks," one for movement and another for action.

Movement would include jumping and ducking. Jump could possibly be executed by a swipe upwards and in the direction you want to go.
For action, tap it to whip, up-swipe to throw a rope, and down-swipe for a bomb?

To buy something just tap the dollar icon floating above the item (on the screen). Running could finally make use of that "hold whip" control.

Sounds plausible!

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 05:51:39 PM »

you my friend, are a genius! Grin I love the analog stick idea Cheesy

And maybe like, hold on screen to run? Oh well, I'm not sure about that one yet, but that sounds like perfect n_n that would be another option for sure, if I can figure out how to program it once I get pro Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: