Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomb Of Horrors (Now with hubs!)  (Read 9369 times)
ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »

I'm making a new level set that will (hopefully) be rather difficult. It will include alternate paths, secret levels, and multiple endings, all of which are tied together by a story that, if not all that well-developed, will at least make sense. (unlike my last level set.)

Requires magic signs TLS.

Here's how the story goes: You are a Venus ManTrap. You once lived in a city of Kali-worshipers, but when your father was sacrificed to Kali, you were turned against her. You fled from the city, swearing vengeance on Kali. Reading the ancient texts, you learned of Vishnu, the great preserver. He is Kali's worst enemy, and perhaps the only being who possesses the strength to kill her. Unfortunately, Vishnu was struck down long ago by Kali. She lacked the strength to destroy him, although he did lose much of his power, enough for Kali to imprison him in a crown made of ham. But now, Vishnu is beginning to regain his power. Soon, he will be strong enough to break free from his seal and strike at Kali. However, he will once again be defeated, as he will still be weak from his imprisonment, and again he will fall, this time to never rise again. That could change, if someone were to enter Kali's plane of existence. Since she cannot strike directly at mortals (unless her altars are destroyed), that being could walk through her domain, and destroy the four Balors, which are partially responsible for her power. This would weaken Kali sufficiently for Vishnu to kill her.

But, Vishnu is imprisioned in an ancient pyramid, which contains diabolical traps meant to impale unwary adventurers. To make matters worse, Demons haunt the lower levels of the pyramid, which eventually leads to a planar gate to the Abyss, which is a hideous place filled with fire and even more demons.

No sane being would come within ten miles of the place. That's where you come in...

Grin Whew, that was a mouthful.  Grin

Anyway I'm posting the levels on this thread, to help me get the difficulty right(I'm aiming for hard.), and so that these levels will not be crap. Please take the time to play them and post feedback.  

Oh, and the latest build can be found here

Levels
Note: For these levels, I STRONGLY recommend that you use the music from the original Spelunky. (Get it at rmn)

Tomb Of Horrors - Done  Undecided

This level has two alternate paths, as well as many, many, traps. The floor is littered with skeletons, some of which come back to life. Individual challenges are stored in separate rooms, which often have one-way doors. There is an entrance to a secret level here.

UPDATE: Added treasure and fixed some minor irritations.

NNNGTVSAFD Zamzik - Done

This level starts out on an alien destroyer, the NNNGTVSAFD Zamzik, but most of it actually takes place outside in da hood. It is more open compared to the first level.

Limefrost Caverns Spirals - Not started

This is the first secret level. Unlike the first and second, there is a ghost timer here. this level will be linear, and will contain lots of water and ice. It will also be significantly harder than the first two levels. If you manage to beat it, you will be rewarded with a turkey and a bunch of treasure, as well as a better ending.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:04:18 PM by Olmec 74 » Logged

TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »

Could you please upload them here also? http://www.spelunkylevels.tk/index.php
Thanks.

ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 08:34:39 AM »

I will once I'm done with them.  Grin
Also, could you please play my level and give me some feedback? Thanks.
*goes off to play descent 2*

ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »

OK, I've just released a new version. Speaking of which, I would greatly appreciate it if someone bothered to download it and post feedback. Unless it's too much trouble, that is.

EDIT: I've just put a red lamp over the entrance to the secret level.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:08:39 AM by Olmec 74 » Logged

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »

Posts have a modify button, you know! Shocked

I'm downloading it now.  The upload you had before wasn't working for some reason.  And I'll edit this post with my thoughts in a little bit! Tongue

EDIT:Whoo, trap fun!  I like how you included floating doors for dropping off turkeys.  I found both paths fun, though the one going to the right was a little more deadly.  Also, I don't know how you're supposed to get that first meatball.

Otherwise, it's good so far!  Don't be so paranoid.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:29:02 PM by halibabica » Logged

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »

Thanks!

BTW, the next level is going to be a more open area. Do you have any ideas as to how I should build it?

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »

Uh...with tender loving care?  I dunno.  Do whatever works for you.  ExPeRiMeNt!  Try picturing in your head how you want it to look and build that.

ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »

I has released a new level. Which, for once, is only slightly different from what I originally envisioned. Yay!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:54:12 PM by Olmec 74 » Logged

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 06:08:40 PM »

So,  uh, how 'bout some downloads for them?

ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 01:37:57 PM »

So,  uh, how 'bout some downloads for them?
You mean like the one I put in the original post? I just knew someone would have a problem with that...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:39:40 PM by Olmec 74 » Logged

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

Ugh.

Could you make that link any smaller or more obscure?  I mean, I still found it when I looked really hard.  Most folks wouldn't find it trying to browse around the wall of text, but I still did, so maybe you should not include it at all so it really can't be found.{/sarcasm}

Moral: please don't make me play "Where's Waldo?" with your links.

EDIT: This is extremely frustrating!  The part above the checkpoint in the second level?  ARGH! Angry

EDIT EDIT: Grrrr, that was really tedious!  Getting into the room with the Yeti King is remarkably tough!  I mean, it's possible, but really tricky and hard to pull off consistently.  You might want to consider easing up on some of the Spear Traps or something in there.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:57:07 PM by halibabica » Logged

ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »

OK, I've added more checkpoints to the second level, and toned down some of the more sadistic traps. I have also made the link in my first post larger, so it will be easier to find.

grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »

Goddamn Sphere of Annihilation in the Statue's Mouth!
ATP
Bean

4 Colors > 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »

Goddamn Sphere of Annihilation in the Statue's Mouth!

Lo Siento Me no hablo english! Inténtelo de nuevo más tarde!

grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »

For those that didn't get it: it was a joke based on the notoriously impossible Dungeons&Dragons module called Tomb of Horrors.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: