Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The first Spelunky "mod"  (Read 3203 times)
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:12:41 AM »

Back in September of last year, we were all dreaming of the day we could tear apart Derek's code and put our own ideas into Spelunky. Some of the more ambitious types couldn't wait for that and decided to start their own brand of customizing the game.

The first of which was Beatthelastboss's custom sound scheme, in which he recorded all of the sound effects as performed in his own voice. I've been hosting this file for quite some time now and you can still find the download in this thread.

It was quite well-received and a fun little thing to play with while we waited for the source to be released. He even inspired a few other sound sets, including my own guitar set. I had planned to remake it (with my own voice) a long time ago, and more recently decided I would do so on the anniversary of it's original release. Obviously that didn't pan out, but I'm still planning to do so.

I'd like to get the recording done today since the house will be empty and I'll probably be doing something quite embarrassing. I also plan to modify the recording a bit to get the sound I want, so it won't be a straight up recording of me.

Anyway, if you haven't tried his sounds yet check it out, they're pretty funny. Installation instructions are on that thread as well, but it's very simple.

*Right now this is a mission statement, there's nothing to download yet. Hopefully it will only take a day or so to put all together, depending on my motivation, time, and ideas. I hope you guys will enjoy it, and I hope it will do justice to Boss' original!*

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »

I too will testify for that sound set, I've been using it ever since.
Personally, I like to think that it's the Spelunky Man just talking to himself in the deep, lonely caves.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
ManaUser
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:28:01 AM »

Cute. I wouldn't play that way normally, but it was entertaining for sure. My only real complaint is that the sounds were so soft I could barely hear them, even when I turned the music off.

Things that hop are evil.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:09:49 AM »

Yeah, I'm making sure to get mine nice a clear, I've tested what I've done so far with music on and it's pretty balanced. Also tried to do a video showing the sounds I've finished so far, but no combo of programs wants to cooperate. I'll try again before I'm done though.

I wondered what people would want to hear more; a realistic take (trying to actually mimic the sound) or a silly approach (like actually speaking the word "BOOM!" or something). Right now it's a bit of a combination.

Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »

Audacity plus hypercam? fraps? Itunes? Just upload the noises as a long mp3?

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 04:52:44 AM »

Tried it, tried it, don't have it. I wanted a video so you can actually see what the sounds coming from, so a audio file would be unimpressive. Particularly since each sound is less than a second long, I might just mess with the settings and try again I know I had it working at least passably before. Just this time I was getting like 2fps and FRAPS is just as bad unfortunately.

Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »

Send the mod to someone else xD? I suppose that would work wouldnt it? Just give it to some friend/forum goer who you know is able to record video and audio

Not me though, i cant record internal sounds and that makes me very sad

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: