Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: True beginner ------------------>  (Read 9243 times)
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »

Someone should create a custom level where the only thing there is is two yetis inside a small room, and you're immediately stuck next to one of the yetis.

No. Just no. If you want that, get the 3rd shortcut and run into a few yetis.

Be afraid.
Anifanatic
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »

I think the game explaining only the controls is a good idea. Why? Because you learn from mistakes far more than you do from reading a manual. You not only learn faster, but you remember it. That arrow trap? The range where it will fire if you walk towards it? You test it out, you figure it out. You may die, but it makes it memorable. And because it's not all available in a help menu, it forces you to be creative, take risks and learn on your own accord. It's unforgiving, but it's worth it.
Delmion
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »

Thanks for the information and tips.  If at least some of this was explained prior to playing the game.. it would have been very useful knowledge . . .  I'm guessing there are a lot of people like me who have heard zero about the game but played it, didn't understand the concept and idea of the game, and quit after 30-45 minutes.
Hmm, I find this very interesting.  And, simultaneously, A) curious about human nature, and B) annoyed by human nature.

How exactly did people present this game to you when they were saying "Wow-you've-got-to-play-this-awesome-game-go-go-go"?  Pertaining to my "A," I don't know how anybody could advertise a game without, well, advertising it: you know, saying why it's fun, and thus giving people information.  Commonly, that would be "Wow-you've-got-to-play-this-awesome-retro-game-with-hideous-difficulty-go-go-go" or something.

Pertaining to "B," however: no matter how much sense "A" makes to me, I know I've seen people ten thousand times (this is scientifically precise) talk about a videogame, or book, or movie, or anything that they really love, and completely fail to express (or even understand) what they themselves have experienced.  "Oh yeah, this is [insert hip catch phrase of the decade here], you gotta get it, it's [insert secondary hip catch phrase here]."  And then, if it's something like a movie sequel, or a book in the middle of a series, or a videogame that doesn't fit in with the norm, then the person listening is set up for disappointment due to lack of information.  Which defeats the purpose of the advertiser.  Because the advertiser is an idiot.

So, again, what did people say to you about Spelunky?

--Delmion
beatthelastboss
Mossbaby

The Grue is watching you...

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »

Whats with the giant arrow in the title?

Inventor of the Spelunky sound-scheme!

http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=194.0

Almost-real-time spelunking stats, updated every time I play!

Wins: Nada
Losted: TOO MANY TIMES!!!
Times Reset: 0
Shortcuts: Only the first one...
Rooms unlocked: None

Current mission: Get next s
Delmion
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »

Okay, beatthelastboss, your personal icon thingy makes me twitch.  Oh, the pains of having Spelunky on the brain.

But anyway, I believe the giant arrow is to point to the poster's name.  As in, "True beginner ------------------> russcm2"

--Delmion
Vanguard
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 01:16:14 AM »

2. Do I start the game over every time I die?  It seems the levels are randomly generated, but how does someone progress through the entire game?

Permanent death and randomness are the core traits of what makes a "roguelike," a game designed for extreme difficulty, careful play, and a constant sense of danger.  It's definitely an acquired taste, but I and many others think that once you've got it figured out, it can be a lot of fun, and the fact that one mistake could lose it all makes your victory that much sweeter.  You have to put yourself in the mindset, though, that your chances of victory on any given run are very slim.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 01:14:32 PM »

2. Do I start the game over every time I die?  It seems the levels are randomly generated, but how does someone progress through the entire game?

Permanent death and randomness are the core traits of what makes a "roguelike," a game designed for extreme difficulty, careful play, and a constant sense of danger.  It's definitely an acquired taste, but I and many others think that once you've got it figured out, it can be a lot of fun, and the fact that one mistake could lose it all makes your victory that much sweeter.  You have to put yourself in the mindset, though, that your chances of victory on any given run are very slim.

After all, it's not about winning your first try. I was frustrated my first few times around, until somebody told me that the game isn't meant to be won at the first try.

Be afraid.
Dragonsoul
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »

Someone should create a custom level where the only thing there is is two yetis inside a small room, and you're immediately stuck next to one of the yetis.

No. Just no. If you want that, get the 3rd shortcut and run into a few yetis.

http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0

It only took about five minutes, and it is very funny.
Usernamehere
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »

I used to QQ about dying to things I'd never seen before, but that's Spelunky. You'll ace the first world, then get eaten by a man-eating plant. Honestly, without it, Spelunky would be a boring game.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »

I used to QQ about dying to things I'd never seen before, but that's Spelunky. You'll ace the first world, then get eaten by a man-eating plant. Honestly, without it, Spelunky would be a boring game.

The fun is in dying. 'Nuf said.

Be afraid.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: