Question: How do you run, how often?
Hold X, Most of the Time
Hold X, Sometimes
Hold X, next to Never
Shift, Most of the Time
Shift, Sometimes
Shift, Next to Never
Unlisted, such as both, sometimes.
GAMEPADDDDDDDD. there, that should satisfy the lucky players who have them Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Running style?  (Read 7361 times)
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »

I'm bored.
And so, I was playing Spelunky, and I was wondering, who uses shift to run, and who just holds down X and walks around until they start running.

Also, I was wondering if you run during most of the game or walk, because I tend o do a lot better, and have a lot more luck in the game when i run the entire time, and I was wondering about how other people's styles compare to mine.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »

Really?  You do better when you run?  Usually when I go ramboing around the caves, I get an arrow in the face because I couldn't see the trap in time.  I run a lot more than I should, because I make too many mistakes when I do.  I also use Shift to run.  X is for making things die.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
ipwnu1337
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:16:51 PM »

Shift is probably the easiest key to run with.  Though running around like a fool is bound too get you killed next to instantly.
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:04:04 AM »

My keys are totally different, I hold \ to run, which is to the left of z and to the right of my left shift

and my z is attack and my x is my jump :0

But on topic, running 90% of the time

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 03:43:13 PM »

Yeah, I dunno, Usually I sprint like a maniac, and I find it more fun, and sometimes, I avoid things that would've normally killed me  Grin I know it's not supposed to be that way, but that's why a lot of the levels I bother making also end up being that you haveto run the whole time, because that's my normal style unless im trying to be REALLLY careful and not die.
But yeah, I do die more easily sometimes, but I still think it's more fun that way, so I always run xD.
And also, I don't use shift because I learned to run with X and it feels awkward for me to use shift now. :/
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »

I always run too. I think it's a habit I got from always running when playing Super Mario series and similar games on NES/SNES growing up. I play with a gamepad, so I hold the right bumper (? the R button) to run. Usually the only time I let go of the run button is when I need to move into a precise spot, like moving close to a ledge to force myself to drop a rope or bomb, or to jump up through an opening that is only 1 tile wide.

Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 08:19:05 PM »

I didn't have an NES when i was younger, but I did play mario games before spelunky, and I think I attribute my running habit to mario as well, and i wish i had a gamepad for the computer, but presently, i dont -.-
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »

The thing about Spelunky, compared to a lot of games that use Roguelike mechanics in some way, is that about 90% of all deaths seem to be failures of timing, rather than planning. Running everywhere will get you YASD'd a lot (and makes my Shift finger ache like twenty bastards to boot).

Of course, when that motherless shitelord Ghost appears, you hold that key down like a bag of unwanted kittens in a canal, laddie. I tend to have a quick glance at my desk clock when I start a level, then check it every now and again to make sure I'm alright for time.
MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:55:40 AM »

Shift is probably the easiest key to run with.  Though running around like a fool is bound too get you killed next to instantly.

Fact. And yet I still do it, because learning from one's own mistakes is for pussies.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »

Well, I guess I can't vote because of prejudice against gamepads!  Angry

But seriously, I run a lot. More than I probably should, but I still try to be cautious. No running around spikes or frogs, you know, that kind of thing.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »

Yeah, certain things, I try to not run on like spikes and other random traps, and sorry for my prejudice against gamepads, but there is an unlisted, i think, i don't remember if i remembered to add it.
But yeah, even so, I barely ever stop running for more than a few seconds.

Also, I use X, well, action, because that's how i learned to, and when i press shift, it just feels really awkward o.o
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 02:50:27 AM »

I wasn't serious you know? But thanks anyway Wink

The rope/vine/etc bug means running and climbing are a really good way to save on supplies, at least until you have some nice items. But I could never use action to run, gotta be ready to whip in a split-second.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 04:55:09 AM »

Yeah, i see what you're saying.
I've been in that situation a lot, especially in Customs, but usually i'll just be really jumpy with my whip when i need to use one  Smiley
Nejii
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »

hm, I ran most of the time (except the ice area), and well... normaly some arrowtrap hit´s me in the end, but until then everything is perfectly fine!
btw, I´m running with Z. My key config is actually crap, but I´m used to it (though some things, like running, jumping and throwing at the same time are hard to do)
Known & Unknown
Mossy

Known for short!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »

Shift all the way

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: