Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEWS] More Screenshots!  (Read 17865 times)
Derek
Mossmouth
Bean

View Profile Email
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:41:14 PM »

It's been a long time coming, but here's a fresh batch of screenshots from the XBLA version of the game! As you can see, we've done a lot with the graphics since you last saw them. I really want Spelunky to be as fun to look at as it it to play, and to that end, we've added lots of little details to the backgrounds to try and make each part of the game feel even more distinct. What do you think?
Alehkhs
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »

Looking good!

more: Need to see the full "whip" animation...

MORE: Interesting that you are keeping Kali, while La Mulana is removing similar images... Tongue
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:18:30 PM by Alehkhs » Logged
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:26:47 PM »

NICE. I especially like the buried dinosaur bones, and edging the rock tiles makes a world of difference. Dunno if I'm entirely sold on the giant spider sprite, mind you, and my nitpicky art brain wants just a smidge more contrast on the idol (maybe even a wee dab of specular lighting). But it looks extraordinary otherwise, and I'd fully marry that explosion if science would let me.
GrahamGoring
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »

S'looking lovely! Can't wait to see it moving and glad to see you've not gone overboard with the lighting and techy wizardry just because you could.

Really looking forward to plumbing the depths of the caves again. Smiley
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 05:06:28 AM »

I really like the monkeys and other characters, but Shoppy looks off to me. Also the gems and a lot of the clutter still look way too big. The style still looks great though.
MORE: Interesting that you are keeping Kali, while La Mulana is removing similar images... Tongue
She did get censored though I believe.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »

Spider: yes
Bat: yes
Girl: Yes
Shopkeeper: ehh...
Webgun: Is that a... LASER CANNON!?
frog: ehh...

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »

The game's look has really come together. I find myself missing the chunky pixel art less and less as I see more of the XBLA game. I can't wait to see it in motion.

And it's nice to see some familiar level architecture in this shot. Makes the game seem a little friendlier to us veterans.
Derek
Mossmouth
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »

Hey, guys! Thanks for the feedback.

Glad you like it - I'm really trying to capture the fun feeling of pixel art in the painted artwork.
ipwnu1337
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 08:18:01 PM »

I'm loving the giant spider artwork.
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 02:48:47 AM »

Okay so im probably going to nitpick on a lot of things but its only because i want the xbla version to be the best that it can

I dislike the Shopkeeper and Mantrap's designs, the mantrap doesnt have the same charm that I've grown attached to playing TSL and the Shoppie's big lips and dented head is off putting (he looked a lot more badass in his pixel days  Spelunky Shopkeeper ).

The vines seem too be just a bit too wide, and the bombs too small (those red balls are bombs right?). The grass seems too tall compared to a lot of things (the small treasure is almost totally hidden and... well Damsel is up to her tits in weeds!). The gems and pots look sort of out of place, they look... bloated (what a weird way to describe it lol)

I also notice that the Tiki spikes are longer then in the original, before they only reached half a tile away, meaning you could get very close to them, but they seem to reach a full tile away now, it might not seem like a big thing but it may mess someone up somehow lol

For comparison

My last few complaints are that the tree looks really weird (though it doesnt even look like it fits in with the rest of the tiles right, so im guessing its beta?) the Gspider's eyes might look better redrawn (only complaint about the caves erlol) and the hud...

while things are more compact now i feel like youre taking up a lot of room in the left top corner which might result in you not seeing something important... I also like the old heart icon better (the one in this shot http://www.spelunkyworld.com/images/spelunky-xbla-01-news.jpg)... maybe you could include an option to choose different huds since youve already designed two (and while the last one wasnt as pretty it was less distracting i feel)

Now that im done complaining (seriously its just me trying to be helpful) i do have some other things to go over

First off kudos on the new cave construction system (or rather the graphics used in it) it looks a lot better then the old slotted tiles, although I notice the awesome lighting system is gone, im guessing thats just because you wanted to finalize the current look before you got to re-hi-lighting everything all over again

also pretty much everything i didnt complain about looks awesome

also also
kali
looks like your avatar
wait
upon closer inspection
i see!
cleavage!
wait her tongue is touching her cleavage okay then

Also id like to take this chance to suggest that way way way after youve completed it and got it on XBLA and stuff you think about making some mod-inspired DLC, because I mean who wouldnt want that?

I WROTE A LOT HELLO

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »

I also notice that the Tiki spikes are longer then in the original, before they only reached half a tile away, meaning you could get very close to them, but they seem to reach a full tile away now, it might not seem like a big thing but it may mess someone up somehow lol

For comparison

That's a good catch. I wonder if that changes up the gameplay at all.
Delmion
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »

I've been really enjoying the art you let us sample.  If I had any concerns, they would be of this sort:

Webgun: Is that a... LASER CANNON!?

Translation: occasional places where things would look weird to an audience.  Sure, it's not a big deal at all, but the webcannon really does look like a death ray.

The other example I have is the image for a lantern in the background.  It is the same as the lantern in the shop here, just unlit, right?  If so, then game guides for Spelunky will forever have the following lines: "SECRET: If you knock lanterns off the wall, you can pick them up and use them like rocks!  It only works for lit ones, though.  The unlit ones are just background.  Here are screenshots to help you tell the difference . . . "

Again, not a big deal at all, but something I thought I'd mention.

--Delmion
Derek
Mossmouth
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 02:51:03 PM »

Okay so im probably going to nitpick on a lot of things but its only because i want the xbla version to be the best that it can

Understood and very much appreciated! Smiley

I dislike the Shopkeeper and Mantrap's designs, the mantrap doesnt have the same charm that I've grown attached to playing TSL and the Shoppie's big lips and dented head is off putting (he looked a lot more badass in his pixel days  Spelunky Shopkeeper ).

I'll work on those!

The vines seem too be just a bit too wide, and the bombs too small (those red balls are bombs right?). The grass seems too tall compared to a lot of things (the small treasure is almost totally hidden and... well Damsel is up to her tits in weeds!). The gems and pots look sort of out of place, they look... bloated (what a weird way to describe it lol)

I prefer the larger items myself, because it makes them stand out more and fits with the exaggerated style of the game. So I'll think about it and take more feedback in the meantime. The red things you think are bombs are blood drops, though!

For comparison

Good point, I think that's just a visual difference - right now you can still stand a tile away and not get hit. I'll probably make them poke out less.

My last few complaints are that the tree looks really weird (though it doesnt even look like it fits in with the rest of the tiles right, so im guessing its beta?) the Gspider's eyes might look better redrawn (only complaint about the caves erlol) and the hud...

Yeah, I agree the tree needs work.

while things are more compact now i feel like youre taking up a lot of room in the left top corner which might result in you not seeing something important... I also like the old heart icon better (the one in this shot http://www.spelunkyworld.com/images/spelunky-xbla-01-news.jpg)... maybe you could include an option to choose different huds since youve already designed two (and while the last one wasnt as pretty it was less distracting i feel)

We're still working on the HUD, too. Smiley

Nice to hear about what you like, too! Don't be afraid to write about anything that's on your mind. It's all very helpful and motivating.
MtlAngelus
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »

I like the look, my only complaing would be that the graphics look blurry. Won't affect me in the short term as I still game on an SD tv *gasp* but looking at the screens on this laptop hurts my eyes. @_@
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 07:27:49 AM »

I like the look, my only complaing would be that the graphics look blurry. Won't affect me in the short term as I still game on an SD tv *gasp* but looking at the screens on this laptop hurts my eyes. @_@

...GDI I CANT UNSEE

but yeah that shouldnt be too hard on your eyes, unless you already need glasses, but usually you'll be paying more attention to what you're doing then the somewhat blurry rock formation directly to your right

I prefer the larger items myself, because it makes them stand out more and fits with the exaggerated style of the game. So I'll think about it and take more feedback in the meantime

True, but as far as the grass goes I think it could be thinned out a little, It seems really easy to not notice something vital because it was swallowed by the green ocean (does anyone else think this?)

And for the pots and gems, well I get the whole exaggeration style, but think about this, everything else, even the spikes, look cartoony and almost squishy (dont ask me how squishy spikes work I really dont know) but the gem and pot looks rather "hard" and a bit more realistic (or at least lacking the cartoonishness). I personally would go with just making them slightly thinner (especially in the gem's case) but since you dont want that I suppose I should suggest trying to make them look more cartoony and squishy like everything else (actually I'd also like it for someone else to give their thoughts on this, am I the only one who doesnt like the pots?)

The red things you think are bombs are blood drops, though!

Oh what? Oh wow lol, okay then they're the perfect size, though they look really weird just floating in the air like that

We're still working on the HUD, too. Smiley

Good to hear! Although I think that even if you decide to put a different HUD in including your previous designs would be a nice touch, just a little customizable option for the people, I think it'd be cool

Nice to hear about what you like, too! Don't be afraid to write about anything that's on your mind. It's all very helpful and motivating.

Glad to know I'm helping! I don't know if this is common with Indie developers, but I find it really cool how you take in everyone's advice and stay connected with the community, you sir are a Bro.

Good luck with the release Derek.

And I've already said it twice, but I'd like it if someone else commented on my suggestions, it's not entirely helpful if I'm the only one to comment on a particular aspect of the beta screenshots since Derek would only have my opinion to go off of

Also I write lots very often on here, you people are all wimpy posters (or maybe I just like the enter button too much, and thus make it SEEM like i wrote more...)

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: