Poll
Question: What else console would you like to see the Spelunky remake be ported to?
Wii - 0 (0%)
Wii U - 5 (27.8%)
NDS - 0 (0%)
3DS - 6 (33.3%)
IMac - 0 (0%)
IOS - 1 (5.6%)
Android - 2 (11.1%)
Windows Phone - 1 (5.6%)
PSP - 0 (0%)
Xbox one - 1 (5.6%)
OUYA - 0 (0%)
PS4 - 1 (5.6%)
WinRT (Win8's "Metro" interface) - 0 (0%)
Blackberry OS (Native app) - 0 (0%)
Other (state in post) - 1 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: What else console would you like to see the Spelunky remake be ported to?  (Read 60956 times)
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2010, 04:08:16 AM »

Look, Wonkyth, we all love Spelunky, but nobody is going to go out and buy a £300 console for the sake of a £10 XBLA game. Nobody is saying Spelunky is a killer app, do you see? Nobody is suggesting buying a console for the game. But the enhanced (important distinction, that) version is coming to XBLA, so people who already own XBoxen can play the enhanced port, and we are engaging in some harmless speculation about other consoles we'd like to see the enhanced port, uh, ported to.

How is this difficult.
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2010, 04:09:23 AM »

(Although upgrading my piece of shit rig to a state where it could handle the new version probably would cost about as much as a console.)
Wonkyth
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 06:45:02 AM »

I get what you mean, Toom, and was awaare of your point since before you stated it.  Tongue
What I'm saying is that if a single port was made with the aim of it reaching the most people, then the PC is the obvious choice, even ignoring the fact that it offers the greatest freedom of control.

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Samkid882
Seedling

Wait, what?

Kirktyler@ymail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 01:12:39 PM »

Actually, if I think about it, I see Spelunky XBLA having more of a relation to the Nintendo Wii. Like someone posted before, it does fit perfectly wii remote, without the need for a nun-chuck (don't know if it's spelled right) or a classic or game box controller. Since the Xbox and PS3 both have analog sticks, it would be a little weird to suddenly switch from arrow keys to analog (I haven't played a Playstation for a while, and have been playing games on the wii, so it might not be accurate)! So it's pretty strange on why Derek would do that, if you think a moment.  Undecided

If you stare below your stomach and in between your hips, you will be sexually hypnotized! Wait, you have pants on? Well then take them off! Oh, there stitched on to your legs?! Well, in that case, forget everything I've said!!!
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »

well no, it makes sense to pick the 360 if you can only choose one console to make a game on, its popular, the coding is probably better known by now, and... its popular! it came out when the gamecube was still around, most people who will ever buy a 360 have one by now and that means a larger market to sell your product to

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »

well no, it makes sense to pick the 360 if you can only choose one console to make a game on, its popular, the coding is probably better known by now, and... its popular! it came out when the gamecube was still around, most people who will ever buy a 360 have one by now and that means a larger market to sell your product to

I've also heard that WiiWare's rules are carefully engineered to screw over developers: Nintendo doesn't give devs their cut of the profits unless sales hit a certain target (which is, of course, set by Nintendo). I love the Wii, but if I were an indie developer I certainly wouldn't bother developing a game for a "service" whose operators might just decide to keep my money.
marsgreekgod
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »

I've also heard that WiiWare's rules are carefully engineered to screw over developers: Nintendo doesn't give devs their cut of the profits unless sales hit a certain target (which is, of course, set by Nintendo). I love the Wii, but if I were an indie developer I certainly wouldn't bother developing a game for a "service" whose operators might just decide to keep my money.
To be fair, nintindo does let you get all the money back from before the target.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Toom
Bulb

I need a hot air baleezy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »

Also worth mentioning is that whilst both the Wii and the 360 support Flash, which is obviously a pretty popular dev platform for indies, full, commercial Wii devkits are like £1500 or something; I understand that the hoops to be jumped through to actually get one are considerable, but a grand and a half is three-guys-in-a-garage money.
marsgreekgod
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »

Also worth mentioning is that whilst both the Wii and the 360 support Flash, which is obviously a pretty popular dev platform for indies, full, commercial Wii devkits are like £1500 or something; I understand that the hoops to be jumped through to actually get one are considerable, but a grand and a half is three-guys-in-a-garage money.
That is a fair point.

If spelunky on the 360 makes a lot of money a wii or ds port wouldn't be a bad idea

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »

To be fair, nintindo does let you get all the money back from before the target.

Sorry, I don't understand. Could you expand on this? I'd hate to accuse Nintendo of undying evil if I'm mistaken about their corporate policies.
marsgreekgod
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »

Sorry, I don't understand. Could you expand on this? I'd hate to accuse Nintendo of undying evil if I'm mistaken about their corporate policies.

Well basicly you have to sell X games.

One you sell X games , you get y% of all the money made from each sale, including games that you sold BEFORE and AFTER you reach X games.

more clear?

MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »

Quote from: marsgreekgod link=topic=1349.msg44514#msg44514

One you sell X games , you get y% of all the money made from each sale, including games that you sold BEFORE and AFTER you reach X games.

more clear?

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, that's how I thought it worked. And I think I'm still comfortable saying that WiiWare was designed to fuck indie developers buttwise by holding the profits hostage unless the game performs according to Nintendo's expectations. I understand that running WiiWare has to involve some overhead expenditures, but Nintendo really ought to be fronting that cost themselves if they want to make their service attractive to developers.

(edit: whoops ha ha i am absolute crap at markup)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:08:57 PM by MagFlare » Logged
marsgreekgod
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »

Quote from: marsgreekgod link=topic=1349.msg44514#msg44514

more clear?

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, that's how I thought it worked. And I think I'm still comfortable saying that WiiWare was designed to fuck indie developers buttwise by holding the profits hostage unless the game performs according to Nintendo's expectations. I understand that running WiiWare has to involve some overhead expenditures, but Nintendo really ought to be fronting that cost themselves if they want to make their service attractive to developers.

(edit: whoops ha ha i am absolute crap at markup)
do you see some of the games that get threw so far?

Honestly the stadnerds seem really LOW to me.

MagFlare
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »

do you see some of the games that get threw so far?

Honestly the stadnerds seem really LOW to me.

Hmm. True. Well, attractive to competent developers, then.
Yuukan
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2011, 02:40:14 AM »

First, I want to apologize for bumping this thread.

I voted PC. I know the XBLA is a great place for this kind of game but assuming Derek is developing this version with XNA, it should be pretty straightforward to make it works on PC too.

Plus, you can sell it on PC too, more money incoming Smiley

That's my two cents, I really want to see this on PC!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: