Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky - extra challenges  (Read 2681 times)
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:40 PM »

This is for not only suggesting ideas for extra challenges, but talking about them.

things like: Taking a key from the first area, and beating the game with it.

I am looking for something that can be done in normal spelunky, but is totaly crazy.

Any ideas?

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:42:29 PM »

I think my favorite self-imposed challenge is only making kills with crates.
Good fun, esp. when one cannot find a crate in a level.

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:14:59 AM »

look into the Achievement Unlocked thread for a plethora of ideas

IMO most are horrible ideas but you'll find some gold

to actually contribute how about tunnelman without hitting the action key?

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »

tunnle man with out a key is good, but I want it to be doable in all cases, and in some cases, you would find areas you can't with out bombs or swining your pick...

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »

I always liked the one where you pick up the very first skull you find on the ground and take it all the way to the end of the game.  It's much harder than it sounds!

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »

I always liked the one where you pick up the very first skull you find on the ground and take it all the way to the end of the game.  It's much harder than it sounds!
Yeah it would be, seeing as it breaks when almost anything happens to it

Bae
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:36:41 AM »

Rock is the single best weapon in the game.

Take rock with you all the way, and use it's bludgeoning powers to clear every foe you meet.

Rock!

[0/18]complete

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 04:49:33 AM »

How about only killing enemies with backswing? Easier than no action at all, but still.

Too many carry this/that challenges Sad

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »

How about only killing enemies with backswing? Easier than no action at all, but still.

Too many carry this/that challenges Sad
Thats a good one in fact, I was going to make a no jumping only back swing mod once...

edit: by no jumping I mean you can't hurt people with jumping

ipwnu1337
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »

Again, the ball and chain run.  I have a bunch of completed runs with horrible quality lying around, but I just don't feel up to it to make a video of it =\.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »

Again, the ball and chain run.  I have a bunch of completed runs with horrible quality lying around, but I just don't feel up to it to make a video of it =\.
With YASM I could do that easy. I think I'll give it a try... WITH A KEY

Kefit
Bulb

Kefit42
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:35 AM »

I always liked the one where you pick up the very first skull you find on the ground and take it all the way to the end of the game.  It's much harder than it sounds!

That's essentially a no action button run. Quite a bit of fun, and very doable. One of the more entertaining side effects is that you can't pick up any items whatsoever. The only real issue that comes up is those damnable dark levels. And fliphanging is a no-no. But that's what pseudo-fliphangs (running off ledge, turning around at right moment to grab on) are for! A ball and chain run seems like it would be pretty similar to this.

Key runs can be interesting, but only if you restrict all other items as well. Otherwise you'll just breeze through everything with jetpack and/or cape. You don't need shotgun to kill enemies since they are easily enough avoided. The key itself is a lot like a rock, which makes it a surprisingly potent and versatile weapon if you know how to use it. Just don't lose it in bottomless pit! Pseudo-fliphangs are again very important.

I've had pacifist (no kills) and poor (no money) runs suggested to me before, but they don't sound like very much fun.

Also, if you're looking for a fun time then try these challenges in Gates of Hell Spelunky. The skull run probably isn't possible, but the naked key run definitely is Grin

EDIT: Actually, the skull run may be doable now that I think of it, but it would be highly luck dependent.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:51:26 AM by Kefit » Logged
Bazly
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »

How about you try staying at the entrance of every level until you hear the ghost music, then try to get to the exit as quickly as possible?
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »

I learned I can't do a skull run in gates of hell.

Bae
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »

How about you try staying at the entrance of every level until you hear the ghost music, then try to get to the exit as quickly as possible?

That... actually sounds fun

but due to practicality it sounds like a ghost mod would be better

[0/18]complete

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: