Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Platform Game (in-developement)  (Read 1138 times)
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:38:42 AM »

So part of the reason my attendance has fallen off of late, I've been "working" on creating this game. It's made with Game Maker, and is really supposed to be a step on the road to being able to make what I really want to. Right now there's not much working, though I've been messing with it for quite a while.

The reason for posting this here is two-fold;
  • One, for help in the form of GM coding.
    I've looked over a staggering amount of tutorials, but there's so much that I can't get to act right even with those helping.
  • Two, for 'support' or suggestions or what have you. I leave it in your hands to break me down or build me up as you will.
I would have put a video rather than screens, but there's literally two rooms at the moment. What I've been stuck with is, saving/loading, enemy AI (I mean simple, like mario style), and dealing with drawing surfaces. I'd appreciate feedback, preferably constructive.

It seems Flickr has become horrible since I last used them, so no resizing, sorry.

The graphics were made by Oryx for the TIGSource Assembly competition, and are superbly awesome. It also uses Matt Thorson's Grandma engine so most of the work was done for me. But I did make the second font on the title screen! Also bonus points to those who catch the reference in the title! Cheesy

@Damsel, this is the game I spoke of, and is nowhere near completion. But now you can comment on it. Well, a bit at least.

OK, question #1: I'd like to make more of a custom save feature, saving the number of life/lives, and room (for now), but can't find anything specific to do so. I'm sure I could do something like writing to a file and just listing life= 3, lives=3, but that would make cheating way too easy. Any suggestions there?

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Audioworm
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »

Ooh, Dungeons Of Fayte-like graphics! Grin

Looks cool. I'd help but I can hardly do crap in game maker.

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »

Yeah, a lot of games in that compo ended up using Oryx' graphics. They are just that good.

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »

Spelunky's save would be a good start, or I can get you some things that might help if I look around, It will take me a while to find them tho, look at spelunkys code frist

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Dudemaster
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »

Don't you agree with me that pixellated graphics have become a bit cliché among independently-developed ('indie') games?

I am a terrible artist, but I'd do anything for people not to like pixellated art. It's okay until artists start to do it on purpose. That's total bollocks.

So, if you want me to do some high-resolution reworking of the sprites and what-not, send me the files, I'll have no problem with it. But anyway, the game seems pretty good so far. Don't give up just yet, right?! Wink

“A witty saying proves nothing.” - Voltaire

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.” - Unknown

Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »

Oh cool. I'm working on a platform game too. It's my largest project ever, so I'm going to need some people to test it beforehand. It's called Fuzzle Quest 3. There are going to be 200 levels when it's done, and 98 are finished. After that, I'm going to add some special things, and even out the difficulty slope. If anyone wanted, I could show them the unfinished version.
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:03:03 AM »

Have you tried encrytion?  God it can be that hard why just have some formula to convert some numbers.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:08:45 AM »

@Dude- I think the pixelated graphics just bring me back to the good 'ol days. I really started using them as a placeholder until I got the real ones. But this is more or less so I can get the thing all together, see it working, and be able to do the real one much quicker/easier once I know how to get what I want going.

@Hyperme- I assume you meant "encryption"? Well the problem with the save right now is that there are some variables set by the platform engine itself that are not saved, so while the game is open it works. Once closed an error message comes up, not sure what I'm gonna do with that right now anyway. But you're right it can be that hard.

grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »

METAL GEAR?!
Dudemaster
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »

"METAL GEAR?!
It can't be!"

But seriously, what are you on about mate?!

“A witty saying proves nothing.” - Voltaire

“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.” - Unknown

grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 03:26:03 PM »

That's the reference in his game's name.

Iron Cogs
Metal Gears

Get it?
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 04:22:57 AM »

Ayup, circle gets the square. I'm sure the Metal Gear font didn't help at all, right?

Audioworm
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »

I didn't really notice, and at first I thought the name was "Iron Cross" for some reason.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: