Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two quick questions  (Read 3936 times)
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »

Okay so im trying to wrap up a level set but theres two things concerning me

First and most quickly to deal with, how do you hide levels? I mean, some larger levels have filenames like !level.lvl where they dont show up in the level select screen but another level can easily be linked to it. Is this as simple as taking a file and adding ! to the beginning of the name or does it require more advanced steps?

If any of that didnt make sense, in short, how do I Hide levels like TLS Metroidvania and others.

The second thing, theres an error in my editor.
On this level theres an olmec, hedjet, sceptre, exit, and golden door, among other things but I thought those were the most notable since i had no problems before the golden door. When I die in the test mode and try to exit back to the editor it gives me the following error

for object oLevelEditor:

Error in code at line 323:
                                       obj.leadsTo = exitNames[exitNamesID];
                                                     ^
at position 52: Unknown variable exitNames or array index out of bounds

It also doesnt label either door correctly, the golden door is supposed to say bae010 and says nothing where the normal exit is supposed to say bae009 and says bae010

In the end this doesnt matter because it works when you actually go to play it with outside of the editor

in the end this topic doesnt matter because I could work around it all myself erlol but i wish to get answers

Edit

Dasf whats this now, I try to test a level with barely anything there and another error
for object oBasketball:

Error in code at line 1:
   if (colLeft or colRight) wallBounce = true;
      ^
at position 5: Unknown variable colLeft

THERE ARENT EVEN ANY BASKETBALLS (ナ˚ロ˚)ナ

First time this happened I just tossed a rop down a ledge, climbed down it, dropped off it, error, now a second time when i got to walk into a alien laser barrier thinger

oh no wait there is a basket ball that still doesnt make this make sense
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:27:14 PM by Baekara » Logged

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »

In answer to your first question, yes, adding an '!' to the start of a level's name will hide that level from the level list.  It's as simple as that.

Anyway, all of the rest are issues I'm sure hyperme is aware of.  He hasn't gotten around to fixing them yet, though he really ought to.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:46:16 PM »

In answer to your first question, yes, adding an '!' to the start of a level's name will hide that level from the level list.  It's as simple as that.
that isn't what he is asking, he wants to hide it from edits or from being known about when start a set, not sure which.. I think. I could be wrong.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »

Halibabica said it right, I just wanted it to not appear on the level select, I kind of figured it out before he posted, and I note that he forgot to add something like "Remember to update your levels information so that "next level" is set as !level.lvl rather then just level.lv"

I phrased it horrible right there lol, but yeah, I had to go in in change all the "next level" information to accommodate for changing the filenames

another question, in the .lvl files at this area...
BAEKARA
CAVE
!BAE000

What do the numbers after !BAE000 contribute to, I have everything else figured out..

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:31:36 AM »

Those numbers refer to the number of entrances/exits and the number of message signs in the level.  The game uses these to find out how many of each one there is, and assign them their proper locations/messages respectively.  In Editor Plus, gold doors have a tendency to NOT register as exits, so that number and the entrance/exit names tend to get screwed up all the time.  You can fix it by changing the info in the file yourself.

hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:53:08 AM »

Anyway, all of the rest are issues I'm sure hyperme is aware of.  He hasn't gotten around to fixing them yet, though he really ought to.

I don't know how to fix the exit thing.  The place where it spits out an error seems okay, and I have no idea what could be wrong.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:57:05 AM »

I don't know how to fix the exit thing.  The place where it spits out an error seems okay, and I have no idea what could be wrong.
Oh!  You should've said so sooner.  I think I can help you with that.

If I recall correctly, the big problem I had was making the game recognize the gold door as an exit when writing the file.  I couldn't get it to accept the gold door object, so I had to set it up differently.  I made it so that, when a gold door was being placed in the level, it would create a normal exit tile and change the sprite to look like the gold door.  That way, it reads it the same as it would a normal exit, even though the sprite and symbol are different.

If that doesn't work (or didn't make any sense), I might be able to help you further.

hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 06:49:03 AM »

I just found out the problem.

scrTestLevel

Since I never opened it before, I didn't know I had to change stuff there to make extra doors work.  Of course, if the person who made the editor system had commented it better, this wouldn't of happened.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: