Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Typical number of deaths before first win?  (Read 4420 times)
visage
Seedling

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »

Out of curiosity, what're typical ranges of the number of deaths someone suffers before their first win?

(I got my first win today, and just now have started poking around at the resources regarding this game online, since I didn't want to spoil things for myself by reading the wrong thing.)
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »

I had over 1000 deaths before my first win.  However, this was also way back when Spelunky was being created and there wasn't a 3rd shortcut.  Beating the ice caves and the temple in one go was soooooo difficult.  Not that it still isn't.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
cjfoster
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »

I had over 1000 but less than 2000 deaths before my first start-to-finish win. I used the shortcuts to practice the ice cave and temple areas a few times. Now I have 15 wins with a little under 4000 deaths (suggesting that one can get the hang of it). These deaths include all my attempts at the gold trophies, and I have a habit of F1ing if I take damage on the first level - it's rude of the cave to hurt the spelunker on the first level.
Ambitious Sloth
Bulb

Tenacious Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »

My first win came in the 500-600 range, I think 564 or around there. my first start to finish win about 4 plays later. As for the trophies that took me into the thousands to get them all.

"I am the King of all I can see" -bug
visage
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »

I had over 1000 deaths before my first win.  However, this was also way back when Spelunky was being created and there wasn't a 3rd shortcut.  Beating the ice caves and the temple in one go was soooooo difficult.  Not that it still isn't.

Ouch.  Yeah, having to get through the Ice Caves and the Temple all together would make it much more of a pain.  It was approximately at the time where I finished the third tunnel that I randomly drained a lava pool that had the scepter in it... after which my Temple attempts became vastly easier.
DungeonPheonix
Bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:27:13 PM »

Just over one hundred.

As an aside, I tend to do better without shortcuts.
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 11:27:37 PM »

I think I got around 650 losses before my first win, and 1500 before my first start-to-finish win.   Grin. By the way, in both of the two start to finish runs I've completed to date, I got both the sun and moon trophies, but the stars trophy seems totally impossible.
Yknuleps II
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 04:28:01 AM »

My first one was between 100 and 200 but I can't remember if I used a mod. Most probably yes.

Don't read this again.
No, seriously, stop reading it now.
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:00:35 AM »

Mine was 300, I think.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »

789 deaths

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: