Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: The Spelunky Community Update Project  (Read 115473 times)
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2012, 01:56:21 PM »

Small update, if anybody's working on a translation added:

Getting a 404 with the link to 1_2_3.

TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »

Fixed

EdenNov
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »

Also, is anybody working on any translations yet?
I'm working on a Hebrew one. I'm writing it backwards so that it will be readable in the game.

The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2012, 01:49:36 AM »

Suggestions on the way translations work:

• Have seperate layouts ingame for right-to-left scripts like Hebrew. It might look wierd of it's formatted similarly to left-to-right scripts due to the way it works (take a look at games like OpenTTD and The Battle of Wesnoth free games to see what I mean. Heck, even a translation of a Darths and Droids comic flips the screen to make it easier to read to Hebrew speakers)
  • Handle Strings the similar way that C's printf function works (ie for strings that are most likely to dynamicly to change, like the shopkeeper's greetings and Tunnelman's request for money, use %1 or whatever for the first variable, %2 for the second, etc (yeah, I know that's not exacly how C's printf function works) That way, languages with different word order than English (like Japanese, which, compared to english, is like speaking like Yoda (object-subject-verb instead of object-verb-subject or whatever) ) can be in correct grammar.).

Example: WELCOME TO %1's %2! (where %1 is the name of the shopkeeper and %2 is the type of the shop (in case your wondering, the reason the 's is at the end of %1, is because not all languages use 's to represent that someone owns something (for example, Afrikaans use se and Japanese uses no) ) ).
  • The ability to specify external TTF fonts used in the program that contains the relevant character sets (so, for example, one could choose to have Wingdings font instead of the default one (Yeah, I know it wouldn't do any good, but it's just a example). This is so that one can specify a font that contains more synbols than the sprite could allow without making it very big be used in a similar way that the sprite works.

All to make it more powerful and more convinient.

If I was speaking in a Technibabble, then I'm sorry.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:51:12 AM by KarjamP » Logged

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2012, 03:02:02 AM »

Excellent information, especially considering I don't have any experience with languages other than English. With regards to separate layouts for right to left languages, is there even anything in Spelunky other than maybe the configuration utility that it would make sense for, when considering the added complexity development wise? There's not much menus and text in it, when say compared to a tactical game like The Battle of Wesnoth (which I do play!).

With regards to Fonts, Gamemaker has limited functionality regarding using fonts that aren't built into the built into the game. True type fonts can't be loaded from any specified directory, it can only load fonts that are installed in Windows referenced by name. Prebaked fonts for each character set Gamemaker can support (already implemented in current code) might be the best way to go about it.

KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2012, 03:35:24 AM »

Excellent information, especially considering I don't have any experience with languages other than English. With regards to separate layouts for right to left languages, is there even anything in Spelunky other than maybe the configuration utility that it would make sense for, when considering the added complexity development wise? There's not much menus and text in it, when say compared to a tactical game like The Battle of Wesnoth (which I do play!).

With regards to Fonts, Gamemaker has limited functionality regarding using fonts that aren't built into the built into the game. True type fonts can't be loaded from any specified directory, it can only load fonts that are installed in Windows referenced by name. Prebaked fonts for each character set Gamemaker can support (already implemented in current code) might be the best way to go about it.
Well, the screen in the room with the minigames for one (it lists how many deaths, top score on how many damsels rescued, the fastest time beaten, etc.). In fact ANY result screens (like the game over one) requires it.

Just switch the order around (like 100 = kills instead of kills = 100) and maybe make text generate like Right to Left like most apps that support those writing systems do (or else, one needs to write backwords like EdenNov is duing. Tongue )

I think it could also be in the same directory as the executable, as the unofficial Chinese translation of Iji (which Remar supports) has its Chinese font in the same directory as the game itself. I could be wrong, though.

Another suggestion:
Make shopkeeper names translatable (to, for example, have different names for different translations ala Pokemon, to transcribe the default names in the respective language's writing system, etc.).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:42:48 AM by KarjamP » Logged

Meet Bodyless!

Join Dropbox!

TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »

Updated both the base Spelunky 1.2 source code and the Translation fork.

Added new resolution setting to the config, "Fit Screen". Scales up Spelunky's drawing surface to fit the player's resolution, instead of just having static x1 x2 x3 x4 settings.

Edit:
Also, Moloch's portable Spelunky code is in both branches of the source now. Previously it was only in the Translations one.

Changed code:
oScreen Create last code block, line 1
Code:
py = 0; // player Y coord

displayheight=display_get_height();
displaywidth=display_get_width();

// screen base(view_wview and view_hview)
screen_x = 0;
screen_y = 0;
screen_w = 320;
screen_h = 240;
screen_scale = global.screenScale;

//Spelunky 1.2 7-3-2012 Scale up to resolution
if(global.screenScale==5){
    if(displayheight<displaywidth)
        screen_scale = displayheight/screen_h;
    else
        screen_scale = displaywidth/screen_w;
    global.screenScale=screen_scale;
}
//Spelunky 1.2 7-3-2012 Soft fullscreen
if(global.softfullscreen==1){
    window_set_showborder(false);
    window_set_size(displaywidth,displayheight);
    window_set_position(0,0);
}
oScreen Room Start Event
Code:
//Spelunky 1.2 7-3-2012 Soft fullscreen
if(global.softfullscreen==1){
    window_set_size(displaywidth,displayheight);
    window_set_position(0,0);
}
scrInit line 212
Code:
//Spelunky 1.2 7-3-2012 Switch to soft fullscreen if screenScale is 5 (scale up to resolutions) and fullscreen off
global.softfullscreen=0;
if(global.fullscreen==0 && global.screenScale==5)
    global.softfullscreen=1;

And config.exe code was changed too and included, but nobody mods that anyway.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:58:34 PM by TyrOvC » Logged

shadow1928
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but in the 1.1 version and in this 1.2 version, I can't seem to jump when I'm running right. I can jump when I'm running left though.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:21 AM »

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but in the 1.1 version and in this 1.2 version, I can't seem to jump when I'm running right. I can jump when I'm running left though.

It's your keyboard/joystick. My keyboard at home can't register the buttons Up, left and Spacebar (I think) at the same time.

Meet Bodyless!

Join Dropbox!

shadow1928
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »

It's your keyboard/joystick. My keyboard at home can't register the buttons Up, left and Spacebar (I think) at the same time.

Thanks I'll try different keys for run
arkhometha
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »

The link for version 1.2 died. Can someone reupload it please?
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2012, 07:46:01 AM »

Sorry about that, my webserver's broked.

arkhometha
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »

Well that sucks, but, if it isn't much work, can you (or anybody) upload 1.2 to mediafire or peeje or other place so we can download it again?
Please?
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »

Okay. I'm 97% sure these are the same versions of the files linked in the first post:

Stable Release 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?binjj13nvj2r60v

WIP Translations Release 3: http://www.mediafire.com/?wl0lqda81cxkq74

Base Gamemaker 8 Source: http://www.mediafire.com/?o0rc9skhgdomfed

Translations Source: http://www.mediafire.com/?74ehbw06y5s68w8
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:30:42 PM by Moloch » Logged

arkhometha
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »

Thanks a lot, Moloch! You are a lifesaver!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: