Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternate Spelunky  (Read 8164 times)
Shrek
Shoot

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »

The goal of this mod is to change a lot of things to make the game more fun, without changing the overall dynamic or breaking the game. I'm trying to make a fresh experience while maintaining the feel of the original game. The game is quite a bit easier, but hopefully in the future I'll balance it a little better.
Here's a link to download it: https://www.mediafire.com/?cmvil5973c915w9
And the optional soundtrack: https://www.mediafire.com/?vtm7970l1gcq199
Some big new features of the game are:
   Blessed items, which can drastically change an item's use in a desirable way.
   Cursed items, which are weak or detrimental items that cannot be dropped.
   Each enemy has a chance to drop items.
   Improvements to underused items like the machete, paste, and spring shoes.
   New soundtrack(although I didn't spend much time on this part) that features most of the tracks from Castlevania 2.
There are many small changes, all of which are listed in a changelog included with the download. Whether you want to view them before or after playing the mod is up to you. However, if you choose to view them after I must warn you to be very wary of the boulder trap.
I spent a good amount of time working on this, and I hope you enjoy playing it! I certainly enjoyed making and playing it. Special thanks go to the mod community for inspiration and help, Derek Yu for making the original game, and Mark Overmars for Game Maker.
Criticism, praise, bug reports, etc. very much appreciated.
Current Version: V1.06 - Bug fixes. Sticky bomb can now be toggled. The hedjet now keeps the ghost away for a while, and identifies blessed and cursed items. Guns shoot a lot slower, and emit an effect when you cannot fire. There's probably some stuff I'm forgetting, but it should all be in the changelog.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:48:32 PM by Shrek » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »

Nice work! I've only done a couple plays so far, so I've give more detailed feedback later, but it looks like you achieved what you set out to, creating a fresh experience.
Shrek
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:28 AM »

Thank you! It's good to know that someone else like the changes I've made.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:46:19 AM »

I like them too.

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »

Unfortunately I've encountered a nasty bug a couple of times. Some kind of glow effect goes out of control until the whole screen is red and I can't see anything. I think it's associated with shops, as there was one on the level both times, but oddly it didn't actually seem to coming FROM the shop. It's not the arrow thing because it happened once in the black market, which should have any. Perhaps it's related to shop keepers "claiming" items that don't really belong to them?
Shrek
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »

On my test run after implementing that effect, I didn't actually see it. Turns out that I missed a zero, causing a huge, opaque red effect. At around 10AM yesterday I uploaded an updated version that fixes that, along with a few other bugs.
Oh, and the glow effect is for cursed items in the shop.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:47:44 AM by Shrek » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »

So I've been playing this some more, and mostly I'm very impressed. The extra abilities that seem to be randomly passed out to enemies make things challenging. The extra speed, and exploding, are there others? I did notice a couple oddities with the speed blur effect. IMHO it should probably go away when they die. Also the ghost seems to use that effect too, I'm not sure if that's intended but in any case it's off center and doesn't look right.

The blessed and cursed stuff is interesting too. I thought the blessed pistol was a bit much though, shouldn't it just get rapid fire or something? Haven't tried all of them.

I also noticed you asked for ideas on the mitt. The obvious thing would be to give the the physics defying ability to throw in a straight line, like in HD.
Shrek
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 02:42:48 AM »

So far exploding and speed are the only two effects. It's interesting that you like those in particular because I honestly didn't spend very much time coding them.
Oddities with the speed blur effect? Are they offcenter anywhere? Are some backwards? Examples would help a lot. Also, I'll make it go away on death so that you can't throw hyper-speed corpses around.
The ghost uses the effect too? It shouldn't have any visual effects such as the afterimages created by speed variation enemies. However, it does speed up over time, if that's what you're referring to. I'll take a look at the code and do some bug testing. e: I forgot that made the ghost have this effect. It was sort of a late-night "wouldn't it be cool if" thing that I forgot to test or write on the changelog. The effect should display properly in the new update which is coming soon.
I don't much like the blessed pistol's effect either, I'll change it to be automatic and fast.
The throw arc in Spelunky is entirely perfect for taking out enemies. Launching thrown items straight ahead would remove three major variations of throw arcs(standing, walking, moving backwards) as well as nerfing upward throws(waiting for thrown objects to land). HD's mitt also makes it difficult to retrieve thrown items, leaving you without your projectile after a single shot. The extra distance is hardly ever useful. Sorry to go on so long about a small suggestion, but IMO HD's mitt really is terrible(although, compared to HD's throw arcs, it is helpful in that game).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:42:17 AM by Shrek » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »

The yeti king also has a misplaced speed blur. That's the only other one I've noticed. If you're interested, Spelunky Natural includes a number of tweaks and improvements to items, and the source code is available. You're welcome to take anything you like. What I did on the mitt is make it work like HD, but only if you hold the attack button down to "wind up" or "charge" the throw, otherwise it works as normal.
Shrek
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »

I'll check out Spelunky Natural and see if anything catches my eye. Yeti King's blur effect should look normal next update. e: I'm very impressed. It's amusing how many alterations are the same or similar in our mods(dropping down quickly, buffing items like the machete and spring shoes). There are a few convenience features like turning off sticky bombs that I will certainly implement in my mod. The backpack seems fun as well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:35:17 AM by Shrek » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »

Great minds think alike. Grin

Incidentally, the one enhancement I missed the most while playing this was the ability to use sticky bombs while holding a damsel without turning her into a suicide bomber. You wouldn't think it would even come up that much, but I kept forgetting and did it like three times...

Plus, a totally ransom suggestion: Since the Hedjet doesn't keep the ghost away anymore, what if it let you see cursed/blessed status? Somehow seems fitting.
Shrek
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »

I'll make the damsel unstickable while held in the next update. Also, the Hedjet wards off the ghost(although not indefinitely) in the next update, but I think that I'll also allow it to identify blessed/cursed because I like the idea.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: