Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky RPG- The Casting Call  (Read 7634 times)
Ambitious Sloth
Bulb

Tenacious Scribbler

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »

The Forward:

This, or rather the following idea, is my pipe-dream for a Spelunky mod which I have, for a while be planning. If I could ever devote myself to finishing a mod beyond being playable, to a point of achieving actual polish, it would be this. That said I hope you'll read on.

The Idea:

Spelunky RPG is my idea for a mod in which the player chooses one of four classes: Fighter, Wizard, Stealth (Working title), Luck (Working Title). Each of these classes I'll go into further later (See "The Classes"). The goal is to have each class play in a different style from the others and for most of them change the playing style of the original game, as well as a leveling system for the player.

The Plead:

There are some features which I want to use but I need help for such as a number of new interfaces for the play to manage leveling up mostly, a save feature for multiple files, and new sprites for spell animations and new features. I know that there are talented people who can do these which is why I'm asking for you help. Anyone who feels that they can help in these two fields  is welcome to help though I may have choose if too many people apply for one field though I'd rather not.
I want this to be the biggest group mod ever done. Please don't hold back from at least asking to join. The latest I can accept an offer to help will be August 16th.

That's all if you want to read on I'll detail the ideas so far for the mod, most of which are just ruff sketches of possible way to make the mod.

The Fundamentals:

The idea is that the player earns experience by killing monsters, rescuing damsels, etc. when a player earns enough experience they go up a level, which increases the power of their chosen class. There are a few ways to do this:

• Skill Tree
     This is the style of most MMO's when the player levels up, he/she gets a skill point which they then assign to an ability which can grow in power and/or unlock new abilities. This would require a lot of with interfaces.

• Class Feats
     In this style the player chooses from a list of feats that can range from general abilities to class specific powers. It's similar to the Skill Tree except except each ability comes at full power and become available as the player levels up.

• Locked Path
     In this style the player has no choice what new powers they get as they level up, when they do they unlock a new ability automatically which they could then use. This is the simplest design to implement.

For now I'm imagining each class to have 16 levels (coincides with the amount in Spelunky, get it?) and I'm willing to work with whoever chooses to help with making the new interfaces and what they can manage.

The Classes:

Here I'll give each class a short description and detail some of their abilities and how they work. Mostly for self indulgence.

The Wizard:

The Wizard is a master of casting spells whether to aid himself, or harm his enemies. His power comes from an inner source which is drained each time he casts a spell and recharged after every rest. The power of his spell and the amount of times he can cast them grows as he gains experience in the cave.

Some early abilities: Light, Heal, Magic Missile.
Some later abilities: Cyclone, Destroy, Vampirism.

The Fighter:

The Fighter is one who wields room clearing power in his hands and favors strength above all else. He knows how to use and manipulate weapons to improve their effectiveness against everything he comes across. His knowledge of weapons increases as he levels up.

Some early abilities: Blade Whip, Multi-Shot, Composite Bow.
Some later abilities: Adrenalin, Pinata, Rage.

The Stealthy One:

The Stealthy One (Still a working title) is a master of getting around obstacles
to where he can do the most damage. He calls on his training to to move around with out being seen and deal massive sneak attacks. As he improves he becomes better at going unnoticed and capable of dealing incredible damage.

Some early abilities: Sneak, Trap Sense, Back Stab.
Some Later abilities: Night-vision, Dodge Attacks, Massive Criticals.

The Lucky One:

The Lucky One (Yes, it's a working title) is not a master of any schooling or truly proficient at anything, but he has the will of the gods on his side. He has an unnaturally increased chance of finding what he needs or getting the best price. His powers increase until the journey through the cave is practically a walk in the park.

Some early abilities: Spring Step, Good Packer, Luck of Heroes.
Some later abilities: Special Customer, Damsel's Beloved, Monster of Kali.

So as you can see each class hopefully plays different from the others and from the original game, with the exception of the luck based class. I hope that if your interested you at least leave a comment.

The Reward:

If you do help with creating this there is a kind of reward for your help besides my undying gratitude. Your name or whatever you wish to be called will appear in the opening credits! Every time someone plays the mod they see your name with credit for what you contributed. Not that 6% of the time when someone beats the end of the game. It's not much but I hope that immortalizing yourself in this work is enough to entice you to join. The latest I can accept people will be the 16th of August as I'll be gone for the first two weeks of August.

tl;dr. I'm making a mod of Spelunky but I need help with making User Interfaces, A Saving feature, and Sprites for all the new stuff. If you want to help, leave a comment saying so by August 16th, and get your name in the opening sequence to the game for helping!

"I am the King of all I can see" -bug
DungeonPheonix
Bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »

Possible names
Stealth: Thief, Rogue, Ninja, Acrobat
Luck: Gambler, Mystic, Monk, Tourist

Obviously you should pick the ones that give you the sort of aesthetic you want, like medieval fantasy or whatever.
Hayden
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 03:26:08 AM »

Sounds fun. I can't help, as I am completely useless when it comes to game maker, even more so, since I've recently suffered brain damage.

Although I'm happy to say that this is a very nice idea. Smiley

However, I believe that you should make a normal title screen where you click on options if you're going to do this, because you won't be able to fit so many doors for all the options on the main title screen without making it look kinda ugly. Tongue

But it's completely your choice. Smiley
Kirby
Mossy

Too Long Away

nrmario@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »

Luck = Leprechaun

Do it.

I'm learning Japanese!
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/KirbyLord/
Ambitious Sloth
Bulb

Tenacious Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »

Possible names
Stealth: Thief, Rogue, Ninja, Acrobat
Luck: Gambler, Mystic, Monk, Tourist

Obviously you should pick the ones that give you the sort of aesthetic you want, like medieval fantasy or whatever.
I like Rogue, in fact I can't believe I didn't think of it considering my D&D side of life, but thank you. I'll edit the original post.
Luck = Leprechaun

Do it.
Help me, and I will. Well maybe.
Sounds fun. I can't help, as I am completely useless when it comes to game maker, even more so, since I've recently suffered brain damage.

Although I'm happy to say that this is a very nice idea. Smiley

However, I believe that you should make a normal title screen where you click on options if you're going to do this, because you won't be able to fit so many doors for all the options on the main title screen without making it look kinda ugly. Tongue

But it's completely your choice. Smiley
My original idea was to change the serial code, forcing the player to start over, and replace the tutorial with character generation. Just because the title screen can be finicky to edit.

"I am the King of all I can see" -bug
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »

I can help with any coding problems.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: