Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunkémon (Arcanine and Golem added!)  (Read 111479 times)
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »

No, it's not a completed version.  It's Spelunkémon merged with Spelunky 1.2!  Isn't it nice to have all those bugs fixed?

So far, I've added...

Caves
Arbok
Golem - NEW!
Diglett
Ekans
Koffing

Jungle
Bulbasaur
Caterpie
Doduo
Metapod

Rushing Water
Horsea
Kingler

Restless Dead
Gastly
Golbat

Ice Caves
Clefairy
Cloyster
Drowzee
Magnemite

Temple
Abra
Arcanine - NEW!
Charmander
Machop

?
Chansey

Poké Balls are now an inventory item.  Hitting a Pokémon with a Poké Ball will catch it and add it to your Loot!  The game also writes a new stats file that tracks how many of each Pokémon you've caught, killed, and been killed by.  You start with 6 Poké Balls (Tunnel Man with 3), and can find more from crates and supply shops.  The 'D' key is now a hotkey to throw a Poké Ball, but gamepad users probably won't be able to make it work.  You can still swap through your held items to reach them.

Spelunkémon

And no, I don't give a crap what your opinion of Pokémon is.  If you hate 'em so much, get in there and stomp a few.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:20:17 AM by halibabica » Logged

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:28:30 PM »

Yay! I get to kill pokemon!

Hey want to add bad guys to gates of hell? Please?

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:47:24 AM »

Want Pokémon bad guys in gates of hell? Wink

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »

Want Pokémon bad guys in gates of hell? Wink
Want new bad guys. Evil pokemon work. Mewtwo is epic...

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
TailorTF
Bean

Being omnipotent is FUN!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »

...Huh.At first,I thought Spelunkemon was a portmaneu (or however it's spelled) of "Spelunky" and "Demon".

Don't panic if I don't update much,it's purely natural.
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:45:30 PM »

EDIT: I just played it and realized my mistake, sorry.

Still, as MGG said, Mewtwo is pretty awesome. He'd make a good shopkeeper.

(Mewtwo, not MGG)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:50:43 PM by Patrick » Logged
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 07:49:14 PM »

I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm more interested in making new enemies than simply replacing the sprites of existing ones.  Though I am mimicking what's there when it's convenient for me.

Right now, I'm working on Caterpie.  It's supposed to crawl along walls like you can do with the Ninja Suit in TLS, but dangit it's not working properly.  I'll have to sort it out later...

Update!  Caterpie added to jungle.  It was SUCH A PAIN TO MAKE!

Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 02:38:04 AM »

Wow, Abra seems pretty overpowered for an Area 1 enemy. Maybe it should just teleport (that's all it could do in the games, right?) and the "psychic bubble" ability could go to another enemy.

Mewtwo
Ahem.
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 05:34:42 AM »

Well, I could put him in the temple instead, but that's where Kadabra will be (who is far worse) and Alakazam will appear as a miniboss.  So...strategize better, I guess.  Abra's not THAT bad.

Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 05:49:43 AM »

Well, I could put him in the temple instead, but that's where Kadabra will be (who is far worse) and Alakazam will appear as a miniboss.  So...strategize better, I guess.  Abra's not THAT bad.
I see your point, but if you happen to end up near him, you could lose 2+ health just like that. Besides, Abra can use ONLY teleport in the real Pokemon games.  Grin

Oh, by the way, I think Charizard would be a pretty good miniboss too.
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:07:55 AM »

Update!  I added Drowzee to the ice caves and tweaked a few other things as well.  The jungle isn't so crowded anymore because the spawn rates were adjusted, as is the case with the other caves.  Some of the enemy attacks were beefed up damage-wise, but none are more than 1 point stronger.  Now there's something new on every floor (except restless dead and Olmec*, I guess), so get in their and kick some Poké butt!

*guess who spawns a wider variety of foes now
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:03:24 AM by halibabica » Logged

DialFforFunky
Bean

Revenge of the Burning Yeti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:12:31 AM »

What an amazing mod you are making. I really, really like it. The new enemies are cleverly designed and pretty balanced. So I decided to test it a bit for you and see if I could find some bugs.

Her are a few:

diglets somtimes wander outside of the ground.

I also got shot through a web once, but forgot to take a screenshot. It was slightly odd, as the first shot did stay stuck in the web. I'm still looking into this.

Drowzee shoots through walls.
Also, when he has more than 1 space to move around, he is whippable through walls. Still trying to make sreens of that.

I got this when bulbasaur shot through one of my webs from the webgun (though it might not have to do anythng with the webs at all).

And this after I jump into the bulbasaur shot.

After I get run over by the quick bird, it stops if it would run over me again. After it stops, it becomes invulnerable to whips until it moves again (I suppose it is meant to do so, but still, better to be sure.)

I also had some suggestions:
- bulbasaur leaving some leaves after it has been killed? (like the man-eating-plant)
- a special monster for the restless dead level? I know there are some ghostlike pokemon, they would probably fit in.
- I always expect 'gotta catch em all' in the opening sentences  Grin

i had tons of ideas before I fell asleep yesterday, too bad I forgot most. Then again, I don't really know if you are really waiting for more suggestions...
Anyways, thanks for the nice mod, and I hope my few reports help.

F
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:18:49 AM by DialFforFunky » Logged

Yknuleps II
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:53:56 AM »

Looks promising ;]
the yellow pokemon in the caves is far too powerful; make those purple circles slower.

Don't read this again.
No, seriously, stop reading it now.
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 07:06:13 AM »

Thanks for the helpful bug report, F!  I'm not sure some of those things can be fixed, but I'll work on the errors you mentioned.  I'm far from finished adding Pokémon to this thing, and...I can't really say when I will be.  There's another project of mine I've been DYING to get back into, so I might have to shelve this for a bit.

Looks promising ;]
the yellow pokemon in the caves is far too powerful; make those purple circles slower.
I already cut the time the bubbles last in half, and you should already be familiar with them if you've ever fought Alien Boss, so I'm not really worried about it.  Besides, if you don't want Abra to attack, just rush in and whack it before it can.  It has a fair length of time before it fires off.

DialFforFunky
Bean

Revenge of the Burning Yeti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »

I played this mod a little longer and decided to do some long-term tests (actually, I just wanted to play the entire game from start till end Smiley ). I got a little frustrated, however. I had a hard time just with getting out of the first stage in decent shape. Getting past the jungle was just about as hard. Past that point, it was all pretty managable though. But the first 2 stages just went crappy.

At first I thought it might just be my skills. I started to play a little less lately (no more 2+ finishes front to back each day... Roll Eyes ), so perhaps I was getting a little rusty. But after F1-dyinging yet another time in the 2nd level because I was in such a bad shape (1 health, stuff like that), I figured it might not just be me.
But how could this be? Both Abra and Digglet are fairly straightforward, not to mention Abra being quite slow. They can't be that much of a problem, can they?

But then I compared them to the other enemies in area 1. A snake: moves forward, not much else. A bat: moves after you, not much else. A spider, drops down on you, hops around, not much else. All simple, movement-orientated 'attacks'.

Now compare this to digglet: moves around, like the snake. But it does so through stone, making it invisible and unpredictable (as opposed to the other enemies, who are all almost fully predictable). And it shoots for 2 damage. Then the difference is quite a bit bigger.

Abra is a bit more complicated.  He doesnt move at all. On top of that, he's actually quite slow. But on the other hand, he's quite unavoidable as well. Come to close for too long, and he'll zap you, regardlessly of his position. That makes stairs and narrow corridors quite a bit of a challenge. Having another enemy near him is even worse, as you'll usually be forced to deal with the quicker enemy first, then deal with abra and the spychic blast he's conjured for you. If you get zapped before you deal with the other enemy, you'll usually be hit by that second enemy as well, as you'll get knocked out. The blast also serves as a defence: wait too long, and you won't be able to whip or jump Abra, as the blast originates from him. Another thing is that the blast instantly kills damsels, which happens more often than you'd think. A last note is that Abra's movement is entirely unpredictable as well, making him a bit harder to deal with. Though all these factors are a bit harder to evaluate, it's still easy to see that, although abra may not be that much harder to kill than other enemies, at least is a lot more complicated than all the original enemies.

So we now have new enemies that are probably more dangerous and quite unpredictable, as opposed to the old predictable movement-orientated enemies. I think that is explanation enough for the fact that area 1 got quite a bit harder.

As for area 2, I don't think that it is quite as hard as area 1. Still, Bulbasaur seems to have the precision of a stealth bomber. Not to mention that the webs from catterprie can quite quickly lead to sticky situations if combined with other enemies. The quick bird offers few problems, though his movement is somewhat erratic, and I occasionally have difficulties jumping on him if he's in a 1space sized hole, for some odd reason.

After that, there's the black market, which usually provides enough gear to easily make it to the end, making areas 3 and 4 quite managable. An exeption is the boss, which with the new enemies has gained quite a bit of power. Drowzee especially is tough, as he easily covers a large area with his blast. Getting hit can easily steer you right back under the giant head, or into the clutches of yet another enemy.

So, what does all this ranting lead to? Suggestions!
- Start the game with +1 health. This offers no benefit in the later stages, but makes the initial stages a bit more manageable
- Make the dirt-attack on digglet deal 1 damage. 2 damage usually means 50% of your health is gone. That's a lot.
- Make Abra's minimum teleport distance a bit bigger. This means that after the initial confrontation, you won't nessecerily have to deal with him again. In small areas, you can just draw out the first blast, then deal with him later in a (hopfully) easier spot.
- Remove the damage done by the quick bird as soon as he stands still. It's quite annoying to not jumpkill an enemy if you're both sharing a 1sized pit, but even worse if it does manage to kill you.
- Quicker disintegration of Caterprie's web. Perhaps 2 or 3 seconds is long enough?

Lastly, I also managed to find another bug: I got hit by catterprie web while playing the damsel. I held a stone at the time I got webbed. Somehow this I got knocked out inside the web. But I also didn't get out of my unconscious state after the web dissolved. So I was forced to wait helplessly for more than a minute for the ghost to show up and put me out of my misery. In front of the exit. bah.

I hoped this wall of text wasn't to tedious to read Smiley. But at least it's pretty complete, and so hopefully more helpfull as well.

F
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:10:49 PM by DialFforFunky » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: