Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Mage 3.4  (Read 26242 times)
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:00:46 AM »

Ok, Somehow my explanation paragraph has disappeared, so here we go.

Spelunky Mage is a mod where you have a new ability -- Used by pressing D. This ability can be changed to a more powerful ability by picking up any of nine magic balls that appear through the levels. Other changes include adding new types of treasure, mushrooms and piggies as enemies, magic fountains, and red potions.

You can download the EXE at http://www.forgottenplanet.com/caillan/spelunkymage34.exe

New in 3.4:

-I've fiddled with spawn rates some more.
-Crates can now give any magic ball, and not just one of the first four.

New in 3.3:

- The flare key can now trigger the magic, as well as D.
-OH MAI GOSH HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO FIX THIS BUG?!?!?!?!?!??! The Kissing Parlors thing is now PROPERLY gone.

New in 3.2:

-Kissing parlors no longer appear. For real this time.
-The glitchy skeletons has been fixed up
-The wind spell timer now works. Previously, the timer would run out fine, but it wouldn't flip the variable that controlls it back. This meant you could only use it once and after that it was totally useless.

New in 3.1:

-No more dragon men. They were glitched up.
-I've made oThwompTrap into something. It appears in area 4.
-The ability you get in the tutorial is taken away when you leave.
-The small bluish crystals are four times rarer, four times more valuable, and will sometimes appear as a darker blue.
-The grey ball (magictype = 5) has been taken out entirely because it didn't do all that much.
-The cyan ball (magictype = 2) has been put on a timer. It can now only be used once every third of a second.
-The orange ball (magictype = 7) and the dark red ball (magictype = 10) now spawn monsters further away from you.
-scrTreasureGen has been changed so large orange and large dark blue gems no longer dominate.
-Other kinds of treasure can now be found inside blocks.
-I've fiddled with the spawn rates for magic balls and piggies.

New in 3.0:

-6 new magic balls
-Dragon men occasionally appear in area 1.

New in 2.4:

-Golden idols in Prayers To Kali levels have the correct value now.
-Kissing parlors no longer appear. It was kind of odd seeing them when there are no damsels.
-Esnipplee has revamped the fountain sprites.

New in 2.3:

-Magic balls don't glitch into walls any more if they're found from crates.
-The wind spell isn't overpowered any more.
-Esnipplee has modified the Piggy sprite. I doubt you'll notice a difference.

New in 2.2:
-The message that appears when you pick up a magic ball now displays properly

New in 2.1:
-Spells no longer carry over from one game to the next.
-The wind spell works.

New in 2.0:
-Fountains have a shield effect.
-You can now upgrade the basic spell to any of four different ones by finding balls.
-Piggy enemies, to make Area 3 a little harder.
-A revamped tutorial.

New in 1.3:
-Mushrooms no longer bleed. There are also less of them.
-The golden eggs appear properly in Prayers To Kali levels.
-Purple gems have been changed to orange, and large dark blue gems are now a lot darker so as not to be confused with sapphires.

New In 1.2:

-Mushrooms' health reduced to 7.
-Mushrooms have more forgiving hitboxes.
-Mushrooms now spawn in the middle of squares and not on the edge.
-The magic glimmers now ALWAYS disappear when they hit something.
-The correct version number is now displayed.
-The Kills and Loot information is now hidden because I have no idea how to fix it.
-Chests have been reduced to a little less than half of previously (They still could, theoretically, give up to 20000 if the most valuable gems were generated, but that's far less likely now.)

New In 1.1:

-Small dark blue gems now give half the amount of large dark blue ones, not an equal amount. In 1.0, they both gave 1000 but now the small ones give 500.
-Parts of a ladder will no longer appear on the title screen when you have shortcuts.

New In 1.0:
- Press D to use your new ability.
- Mushrooms as enemies.
- Magic life-restoring fountains(which can become corrupted).
- Rare potions which restore 1 life.
- An increased variety of treasures.

Please tell me how good it is, what ideas you have, and if you encounter any bugs. I'm very interested in improving it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 04:56:08 PM by Pteriforever » Logged
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:18:45 AM »

During the end level screen mushrooms appear as aliens.
EDIT: How do you use the fountain? Plus, is that the only magic (the D blue flares) you use?

EDIT EDIT: forgot to mention that an oddly High number of webguns appear in the walls, with spectacles it's actually RIDICULOUS

TRIPLE EDIT: The first chest I opened gave me a total of 18500 gold...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:52:29 AM by glennrieck » Logged
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:00:42 AM »

Instead of constantly editing I'll double post: As well the blue/purple gems are a bit odd in the end level screen. In all it seems like this is more a beta than an actual 1.0/1.1 release (it still says 1.0 in game).

Also, is this based of of an earlier version of Spelunky? Because TunnelMan can still swing his Mattock in mid-air.

DOUBLE EDIT AGAIN: As well, the mushrooms hitbox/general placement can lead to situations where it's impossible to go up ladders without getting hit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:03:48 AM by glennrieck » Logged
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »

This is really really bad : (

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
DialFforFunky
Bean

Revenge of the Burning Yeti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »

Thank god your post is so constructive he'll immediatly knows exactly what to change! How nice of you to help out!

I do agree though, this isn't a really good mod yet. I'ts kind of messy and not that consistent yet. It also runs kind of slow on my pc, but that might just be me. There's just a lot that's kinda off. The mushrooms have annoyinly high amounts of health, for example. The power is kind of weird, as the glimmers have odd behavior and can sometimes be picked up, in which case they are displayed as being skulls. And destroyed mushrooms are aliens in the final screen of a level. All that makes that this mod is still quite 'rough'.
Depite all that, most of the mod is very pretty though. I really like how the mushrooms fit in perfectly with the ferst level. Some things still took a bit simple though, the fountain for example. But the 'shrooms look great Smiley.

F

Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback!

Oh, and yes, I did use a different version. 1.0b to be exact, I only have Game Maker 7 Pro.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:14:54 PM by Pteriforever » Logged
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »

Thank god your post is so constructive he'll immediatly knows exactly what to change! How nice of you to help out!

I do agree though, this isn't a really good mod yet. I'ts kind of messy and not that consistent yet. It also runs kind of slow on my pc, but that might just be me. There's just a lot that's kinda off. The mushrooms have annoyinly high amounts of health, for example. The power is kind of weird, as the glimmers have odd behavior and can sometimes be picked up, in which case they are displayed as being skulls. And destroyed mushrooms are aliens in the final screen of a level. All that makes that this mod is still quite 'rough'.
Depite all that, most of the mod is very pretty though. I really like how the mushrooms fit in perfectly with the ferst level. Some things still took a bit simple though, the fountain for example. But the 'shrooms look great Smiley.

F

The energy always appeared as itself the few times I could pick it up, as a blue flare, not a skull.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »

I think this mod is a bit... changing things for the sake of changing things...

It just doesn't make me think "mage" you know?

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 04:24:45 PM »

WOuld you suggest a better name for it?
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »

No,but expand on the idea. Add more magic powers and a few more uses to the fountains.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 06:48:24 PM »

WOuld you suggest a better name for it?
Spelunky Mushrooms kill you
In Soviet Russia Mushrooms eat you.
Spelunky death Mushrooms
Mushrooms spelunky with magic

Or get some more spells. I would vote for a fire, air, earth, and water one. as upgrade items (1 at a time, much like cape and jet back)

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »

It seems like you were looking for an excuse to make use of the mushroom sprites. The mushrooms don't move so I feel my time is being wasted by having to kill 500 of them to get thru the level. I was also wondering why they bleed. I do enjoy bouncing on them though.

As someone who plays with a gamepad i would suggest maybe using flare button so players can configure it to any keyboard/gamepad button they want.

Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »

No,but expand on the idea. Add more magic powers and a few more uses to the fountains.
Or get some more spells. I would vote for a fire, air, earth, and water one. as upgrade items (1 at a time, much like cape and jet back)
I was also wondering why they bleed

Great ideas!

I'll fix up a couple more bugs as soon as Softwrap support gets back to me about additional unlocks. It reverted back to Lite for some reason a couple of days ago because I had to reinstall Windows. After that, I think we'll be set for a content update.

Plans for the near future:

1.3:

-Mushrooms will no longer bleed. There will be a few less of them, too.
-The golden eggs that appear next to the golden idol will work correctly. They don't on Prayers To Kali levels.

2.0:

-Some extra use for the fountains
-Extra magic
-Maybe a new enemy for the ice caves? Those levels always occurred to me as being the easiest levels.
-A revamped tutorial
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:20:25 AM by Pteriforever » Logged
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »

I know I'm releasing updates like a total spazz, but bugs are bugs and they need to be fixed RIGHT NOW!!!!
Pteriforever
Mosskid

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 10:51:11 PM »

Ok, another new version.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: