Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: stats.txt missing?  (Read 5125 times)
Mandrake
Seedling

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2010, 01:05:32 PM »

Hello, I've just registered to ask for some technical help with Spelunky.

I don't have the stat.txt file on my system and I can't seem to get it back. I've downloaded version 1.1 (which is the latest version and creates/updates a text file which keeps track of various statistics) but when I exit Spelunky, this doesn't happen at all. I think I screwed up the installation by accidently deleting the stat file at some point but no matter how hard I try to remove and reinstall Spelunky, it doesn't seem to fix it. It also seems to remember my settings and high score/time ect. even if I try to delete all files related to Spelunky (I'm never forced to do the tutorial each time I reinstall it).

Can anyone help me out here? Is there a way to completely remove Spelunky from my laptop (Windows Vista) and start afresh? I'm sure this would sort the problem or is there another way?
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »

I'm not really sure what's up here.  I know the highscores are tied to Spelunky and cannot be altered or removed even if all the game's files are deleted.  I'm sure there's a way to wipe them from the hard drive, but it shouldn't be necessary.

As for your disappearing stats file, well, it shouldn't matter whether you deleted it or not.  Every time the game closes, it either creates the stats file (if it doesn't exist yet) or rewrites it with your new stats.  It should appear in the same folder as the .exe regardless of what you did to it previously.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Mandrake
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:17:08 AM »

Aha! Managed to find the stats.txt file by getting my laptop to search through all its files, including non-indexed, hidden and system files. Turns out it has decided to keep it well-hidden in the AppData folder rather than in the same folder where I keep Spelunky.exe. Bit odd considering that it didn't behave like this before I had the harddrive replaced (that's Vista for you), but at least I know that it exists somewhere on this machine. Now I wonder if I can move the file into the same folder as the .exe without messing everything up again?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: