Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't run-grab ropes when running full speed?  (Read 2534 times)
argon vile
Shoot

View Profile Email
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but since it's asymmetrical I think it's probably a bug.

The scenario is that i'm running past a rope that i want to grab onto. I press diagonally up-and-right, hold the run button, run about three squares to gain momentum, and press the jump button. If I'm running full speed, it's kind of a coin flip. Ideally, I want to grab the rope in mid-air. I successfully grab the rope about 10% of the time if I'm coming from the right side, and about 90% of the time if i'm coming from the left side. The rest of the time, I just fly through the rope. I don't know why, but it seems asymmetrical - running from the left is more successful than running from the right.

I'm using a gamepad, although I don't think that matters. I think it's just bad luck that sometimes there is no frame where I am touching the rope.

Has anybody else witnessed this behavior? I don't know if it's dependent on frame rate or something. I've got a pretty fast computer, it's a top-of-the-line alienware that I purchased for gaming around February. So I don't think it's that my computer is too slow.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:13:36 AM »

It's a collision problem.  You may notice that you'll never ever have this problem with ladders or vines.  It's because the hit box for ropes is so narrow that the game sometimes (often) fails to detect when you're able to catch/climb it.  It's really annoying to me, too, since I usually place ropes in places where I DON'T want to continue falling.  But...that's the way it is.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
argon vile
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:41:50 PM »

alright. no sweat. i used to try and cheat my way across monkey pits in the jungle with run grabs, so i could do them in 2 or 3 jumps. i'll just have to slow down and do them normal speed.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:11:04 AM »

Uh...no, it works just fine on vines.  It's only ropes that are so narrow that they have this problem.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: