Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Robbing the Black Market  (Read 36489 times)
GreyMario
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 02:20:29 PM »

I found it 3 to 4 times inadvertently over the course of nearly 3000 CoG runs.

Well, considering you can't get to the City of Gold without getting to the Black Market, and you can't reliably access the Black Market without the Udjat Eye, then of COURSE you're going to have to find it inadvertantly!
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »

Found it, robed them blind.

You mean, like this?

(late) Yes. just like that. Their eyes tasted good.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

Found it, robed them blind.

You mean, like this?

(late) Yes. just like that. Their eyes tasted good.

Interesting. I'll need to taste them. How good were they?

Be afraid.
fsk
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 08:16:18 AM »

The first few times you get to the black market, you probably shouldn't consider robbing it.

If your attitude is "Wow!  I made it to the black market!", then you shouldn't rob it.

If your attitude is "Ho hum.  I made it to the black market again.  Darn, I can't afford the ankh.", then you should consider robbing it.

If I already have a pistol or shotgun, and am having a bad game, then I rob the black market.  Otherwise, I just buy what I can and try to win.  I'm not that experienced yet.
GreyMario
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 12:03:19 PM »

Robbing the Black Market is easy. Hell, robbing the Black Market, killing every shopkeeper, and leaving with the Ankh is easy.

It's doing it in less than 2:30 that's the hard part.

That said, I always rob the black market.
fsk
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »

How do you deal with the angry shopkeepers that spawn at every level exit?  This seems to be the biggest downside of robbing the black market.  Those end-of-level angry shopkeepers always get me.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »

How do you deal with the angry shopkeepers that spawn at every level exit?  This seems to be the biggest downside of robbing the black market.  Those end-of-level angry shopkeepers always get me.

Easy. Resist the urge to steal until the black market. Then just get so damn lucky that the last jungle level is the jaws one, and hope he jumps into the water.

Be afraid.
GreyMario
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 02:32:14 PM »

Well, you've always got a buttload of bombs and a jar of Bomb Paste once you're done raiding the black market, right?

Just chuck instant kill spheres.

Or use your Shotgun. Fighting an Exit Shopkeeper is the same as any other shopkeeper.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »

Well, you've always got a buttload of bombs and a jar of Bomb Paste once you're done raiding the black market, right?

Just chuck instant kill spheres.

Or use your Shotgun. Fighting an Exit Shopkeeper is the same as any other shopkeeper.

Meh, I always feel more anxious when I see one guarding the exit.

Be afraid.
GreyMario
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »

Just to prove my point, I'll start up a round of Spelunky, make it to the Black Market on my first try, kill all eight Shopkeepers, and leave with the Ankh, then I'll go on to beat the game for the first time.

Well that didn't go as planned. Shit.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:43:39 PM by GreyMario » Logged
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »

Just to prove my point, I'll start up a round of Spelunky, make it to the Black Market on my first try, kill all eight Shopkeepers, and leave with the Ankh, then I'll go on to beat the game for the first time.

Well that didn't go as planned. Shit.

That's pretty much how I feel every time I try to beat the game. I've made it to the last boss, but never finished him.

Be afraid.
GreyMario
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »

Actually, I had my ass handed to me on a silver platter by a Shopkeeper in the Black Market. >_>

I'd gone through levels 1 through 7 with only one hitch - took one hitpoint damage. Saved four damsels. Blasted all Exit Shopkeepers in the face with the shotgun. Got REALLY FLIPPIN' LUCKY and hit a man-eating plant with a thrown Golden Idol that was residing in the frozen zone - I'd chucked a damsel into the same area immediately after.

Then I cleaned out the top layer of shops, watched the shopkeepers run around down below and offscreen, jumped down, popped one of them while he was in the frozen zone, then the other one just refused to get hit by my shotgun blasts. He came up, chucked me for one damage, I tried to get up and GTFO, he point-blank shotguns me.

From 7 HP to 0 HP in two seconds.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »

Wait so what's the contest?
Rob the black market before the ghost appears?

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2009, 02:57:51 AM »

That's ALWAYS the contest.

(I'd like to point out right now that making videos of your methods would really work wonders for us unexperienced spelunkers!)

Be afraid.
fsk
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2009, 09:36:46 AM »

I thought the contest was "Rob the first shop that spawns in the game, preferably on level two.  Rob the black market, killing all 7 shopkeepers plus the exit shopkeeper.  Kill the end-of-level shopkeeper on every level.  Kill any other shopkeepers that spawn in shops.  Win the game.  Bonus points if you make it to the CoG.  Negative points if you exit the level but don't kill the exit shopkeeper."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: