Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: The Spelunky First Level Cash Challenge  (Read 32345 times)
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »

Nice, 25,700 isn't too bad.  I think part of the skill is recognizing early when you have a dog of a first level and not wasting your time on it.  I guess this would be called scumming.
pp128
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:41 AM »

More like 102, it's an intermediate technique, that although not very hard still takes some practice.

I don't know very well what it is, but it's very useful in some cases.
Congratulations Glenn, amazing score. You had just 4 bombs or more ?

A new score, but with bombs to break walls ...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:56:53 AM by pp128 » Logged
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »

Four, humorously enough when I find more I can't even break 20k.

And now I'm having trouble breaking my score. A lot of it.
pp128
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 08:56:57 AM »

Haha, a new score, using just 2 bombs to break walls (so "cheating" a bit). With a gold idol, I can't imagine the record Cheesy

danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »

Daaaaamn, pp128, you are a contender for sure!  Ok, I'm keeping the original post edited with the top score... I've been trying but I'm not even coming close to cracking 30k. 

No idol even, huh?  I think that actually the key is lots of gems, and sometimes the space it takes up for an idol isn't worth it.

By the way, there's no reason not to use all your bombs... once you have a winning score, then go see what else you can pick up with your remaining bombs.  Anyway, nice job.
pp128
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 11:40:35 AM »

Perhaps you can make two sections in your first post : with bombs, and without bombs to break gold walls. It's as you want (because Glenn is more deserving than me).

I think that with Spectacles or Udjat Eye, you can bomb walls with red or blue gems, and it's very useful to increase your score. But the idol give you 5000pts, it's good too Wink
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »

Bah, it's my damn challenge and I don't want two sections. Wink  The competition stands: it's whoever can attain the highest score in the first level of vanilla spelunky with no mods, but by any legal in-game method. 

The first level has no time-limit, so strategic bombing is a good strategy but (as you have demonstrated) not yet required.  I don't think the udjat eye appears in the first level so it's not part of the play.  I think you can find a store that sells specs in the first level but it hasn't happened to me yet.
grieck
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »

Udjet does not, BUT you can find Specs in crates/hidden in walls (got really lucky with the latter on the first level one time...I might've been able to get a REALLY high score if I didn't get careless and jump on spikes).
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 07:42:59 AM »

Smiley.
pp128
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 08:05:49 AM »

With a gold at the right.

Wat.
Wat.
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 08:09:04 AM »

I died before getting it though. O.o

So take that score as my final one.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »

Wha-ch-j-b-

GAH!  I'm not even gonna SAY anything.  Angry

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
danieltalsky
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »

Oh I REALLLLLLY hate to do this to you because that is a fantastic goddamn score and will be hard to beat, but unfortunately does NOT count as a valid entry.  Per the original competition rules:

So, I propose a competition (for honor only) for whoever can get the highest score by the 1st to 2nd level transition screen and get a screenshot.  No additional credit for a damsel, this is cash only.

I, myself, got a couple of winning scores (back before it cracked 30k) but didn't manage to survive to the end of the level because I got stuck somewhere without a rope, or died.  In other words... you have to survive the level.  Awesome score though.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 03:19:52 AM »

I was wondering where Eguee's entry was. Though I can't believe you died in level one, you were playing two games at once right?

My attempts tended to seriously limit the amount of gold in the first level, started with around 10k. Next try was only about 3k. Undecided

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 03:44:22 AM »

Hey, that was my first game in like, three months!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: